Does my computer have to stay 'awake'?

• 21 October 2005
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
I am considering buying a Sonos system and have been browsing these forums and the FAQ.

One of the FAQ's concerns 'Music dropping out after a period of activity on my computer'.

Is it really necessary to prevent my computer from going to sleep in order for the sysem to work? I do have an external firewire drive conected to my mac, would it make any difference if my music library was stored on that?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
The Sonos system needs to be able to access the files which hold the music. If the files are on your Mac, or on a firewire drive which connects to your Mac, then yes - your Mac needs to stay awake such that the Sonos system can access the files.

You can buy network attached storage which does not require your Mac to be on for the Sonos system to work.
Userlevel 2
lentrott,

As yubyub stated, if the music is stored on your computer or an external drive managed by your computer (attached via firewire or USB), then the computer must be running -- and not on standby, hibernating, or sleeping.

The NAS solution eliminates the need for a computer. Since you can define up to 16 shares, you could have the bulk of your music on the NAS and some on a computer. Only the computer's resident music would be offline while the computer is OFF.

In any case, internet radio will work without the computer. Rhapsody always needs a Windows computer.
Note: This the same old Buzz, but we are using an alter-ego to facilitate tracking a possible forum bug.

How do we know this is the same old Buzz? For all we know you could be using the old forum bug trick and assumed his identity. Hmmm….. :)

UR
How do we know this is the same old Buzz? For all we know you could be using the old forum bug trick and assumed his identity. Hmmm….. :)

UR

Only the true Buzz will have such strange hours.