Do I need Spotify Premium to play Spotify songs on my Sonos?

• 18 December 2014
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
The payment method for my Spotify premium service expired and I didn't change it because I just want the free Spotify version. Now I'm trying to play my Spotify playlist in the Sonos app. It keeps saying ...

"Spotify on Sonos requires a Spotify Premium Account. Upgrade at..."

Is it true? Do I need a premium acct to play Spotify on Sonos now?

Note: I'm using version 5.2.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Yes, that's right. A Spotify Premium subscription is required to play Spotify music on Sonos.
Userlevel 2
When did this start? I was using the free spotify app prior to my premium trail. I was using the free version. Did this change with 5.2?
When did this start? I was using the free spotify app prior to my premium trail. I was using the free version. Did this change with 5.2?

Are you sure? We didn't change anything with Spotify with 5.2, and to the best of my knowledge a premium account has always been required: https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
I have had Spotify and Sonos for years and right from the beginning, you needed a Premium account. It was the reason I started subscribing to Spotify when it became available via Sonos. Is it is possible you had a free trial, which has expired?
I have had Spotify and Sonos for years and right from the beginning, you needed a Premium account. It was the reason I started subscribing to Spotify when it became available via Sonos. Is it is possible you had a free trial, which has expired?

I'm guessing the OP may have had a premium trial and that allowed them to sign up. I've noticed that spotify and other music services don't check credentials very often so its possible that you've been able to use the spotify account (even though it reverted to a free account) for a long time until the sonos revalidated your login credentials with spotify and noticed your account wasn't premium anymore.

I've had spotify on sonos and the entire time I've had to have premium too and the reason I signed up for premium is because that was what was required to get it on my Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Pay up you skinflint. 🙂 It's an amazing service.
Userlevel 2
I have fallen into this pit as well after recently upgrading. why should we have to have a premium service to use Spotify with our sonos speakers. Sonos must be getting something for applying this restriction in my opinion....
I have fallen into this pit as well after recently upgrading. why should we have to have a premium service to use Spotify with our sonos speakers. Sonos must be getting something for applying this restriction in my opinion....

It has been stated that Sonos receives no compensation from music services, and it is not Sonos who requires this restriction. Also, given the obviously adversarial history of the Sonos/Spotify partnership, I highly doubt there is any money involved. ;)

The simple fact is, when a service is used on Sonos, other revenue streams (advertising on apps/browsers) are not available. So therefore, the service requires a premium membership. This was the case for Napster, Rhapsody, MOG, SiriusXM, and now Beats. Google Play Music requires a premium to use its library (no charge for your personal songs). In contrast, the "free" services (Pandora, Slacker, Internet Radio) have radio type advertising in their streams.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The simple fact is, when a service is used on Sonos, other revenue streams (advertising on apps/browsers) are not available. So therefore, the service requires a premium membership. This was the case for Napster, Rhapsody, MOG, SiriusXM, and now Beats. Google Play Music requires a premium to use its library (no charge for your personal songs). In contrast, the "free" services (Pandora, Slacker, Internet Radio) have radio type advertising in their streams.

Sorry for the hijack, but jgatie would you mind providing additional info around your comment, especially regarding advertising? From the beginning we've been accessing Pandora (no premium account) through SONOS, and may hear one to two commercials per week. Last one I heard was around five days ago and that was a Pandora commercial. None on New Year's Eve when I'd have expected ads to spike. Am I receiving nearly no commercials because I access Pandora through SONOS? Always wondered about this.
penzzz,

I think that most services have a web browser or "App" mindset. They want to use browser technology in order to present images and video based adds while you listen. To some extent it is similar to a carpenter solving problems with a hammer and nails while a plumber throws a torch and some solder at the problem. Probably, you don't want either of these guys working on clothing. Pandora is presenting a radio like service and audio based ads are a natural.

If the service's heart and mind is set on browser based, visual presentations, hardware devices such as SONOS (which do not use browsers) will be misunderstood and treated as second class citizens.

I'm surprised that the services or an advertising clearing agency have not figured out a way to deliver targeted advertising to the listeners. This is routinely done in search engines and most large commercial sites. Even little blogs are shouting about businesses in my area.
Badge
Sorry for the hijack, but jgatie would you mind providing additional info around your comment, especially regarding advertising? From the beginning we've been accessing Pandora (no premium account) through SONOS, and may hear one to two commercials per week. Last one I heard was around five days ago and that was a Pandora commercial. None on New Year's Eve when I'd have expected ads to spike. Am I receiving nearly no commercials because I access Pandora through SONOS? Always wondered about this.

I started using my son's free Pandora acct thru Sonos last summer. I told him the same thing. I asked if he had premium and he said no. I said "I don't know that I have heard a commercial yet". He said he does. Well don't you know, right after I said it, now I hear them everytime. lol. I think they are rare enough and short enough, that we just miss them a lot of times. Might be in the bathroom or whatever. But yea, I thought there were barely any ads, and there really aren't that many, but there are more than you and I thought there were. 🙂