Question

Djay 2 and airplay

• 12 June 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,
i manage to use Djay 2 application (for DJ use) with my MacBook and send the music to my SONOS Play 5 (X2) and SUB thanks to Airplay.
But there Is a 2 sec lag between action on Djay application and reaction on the sound.
I though where were no lag with Airplay 2.
Any solution ?

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sonos has never indicated, to my knowledge, that there was no lag. But I believe some of this is an Apple issue, as the signal gets processed in the Mac and also in iOS in order to be sent across Airplay 2. However, as Sonos is designed to be a multi-room sync’d playback device, like the line in signal on those devices that have it, I have to assume there is at least a 75 ms delay in order to buffer the signal to make it available for all potential rooms.
This is, by the way, likely the reason that Sonos continues not to market their whole home music system as computer speakers.
Userlevel 7
Hi Dust85

Your question is better answered by Apple or Djay 2 developers since you are not playing directly to the Play 5 (i.e. Djay 2 adds another process to the mix). If possible you might try line-in to Play 5 using the MB headphone jack instead of using Airplay 2. However, doing so may negate mixing via your headphones.

Cheers!