Disappearing album art on last.fm

• 22 December 2008
  • 14 replies

I had a quick search but can't find this reported, so....

When I listen to last.fm, on some occasions the album art doesn't appear. The odd thing is that I've sometimes witnessed a new track starting, the album art appearing, then immediately being blanked out!

This only happens occasionally, but when it does it afflicts all controllers (CR100, Desktop Controller and iTouch). Does anyone have any suggestions??

14 replies

ratty,

Album art may be missing from a fraction of the albums.

In addition, there is a timeout associated with fetching album art. If the artwork does not arrive within the time window, the default art will be displayed.

I don't have a good explanation why artwork might "flash". Is the flashing artwork appropriate for the track being played? It is possible that the artwork arrived near the end of the time window or was somehow defective or incomplete and the problem could not be worked out before the timeout.

Log these "events" and, if possible, submit a diagnostic. Follow up with an email to SONOS support and reference the diagnostic confirmation number.
Hi buzz. Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure what the default artwork ought to be for last.fm. When a library-based local track is not accessible (if the disk is offline) the standard 9-square chequer-board art is displayed. When last.fm baulks, I'm simply getting a white square, and the Album Art window just has the trackname placed centrally.

Is the flashing artwork appropriate for the track being played?
Yes, when I've been eagled-eyed enough to spot it fleetingly flashing up the artwork it does appear to be the correct artwork for the track. Strange that Sonos should display it if it subsequently considers it corrupt and removes it....

I'll see if I can catch it and make a diagnostic. BTW how soon after the event would this need to be done, i.e. how long before it would age out of the Sonos internal logs?
ratty,

For most practical purposes, the diagnostic information is held till the next power failure or reboot. Sending the diagnostic promptly allows for easier correlation of the most recent "event" to a diagnostic log entry.
Ok. Thanks. Will follow up on your suggestions.
Userlevel 2
Ratty, I have the same exact issue.

Album art pops up for probably .2 sec then goes blank white square, then goes to checkerboard.
It is odd in that it finds it and displays it yet decides not to keep displaying it.

The strangest thing is, I have gone back and listened to the same song or another song off the same album and it will display the art normally (sometimes)
Userlevel 2
Same effect with iPod Touch. Album art pops up and goes blank.
Album art pops up for probably .2 sec then goes blank white square, then goes to checkerboard.
EDIT2: I believe the checkerboard is actually the default if last.fm has no artwork. When it appears it just appears straight away, whereas the white square appears after momentarily flashing the correct artwork.

The strangest thing is, I have gone back and listened to the same song or another song off the same album and it will display the art normally (sometimes)
I guess this is consistent with buzz's suggestion that this behaviour might be timing-related.
A quick update on this after a Live Chat + diagnostic with Sonos today. Those guys are so helpful.... :)

This appears to be a bug that Last.FM know about and are working on. Evidently related to over-long URIs; and doesn't require an update to Sonos software. No date offered for a fix as yet but the problem should just resolve itself once Last.FM have implemented a solution at their end.
Userlevel 2
Just like to add that i'm getting this.
Looks like it may be some time before this is fixed...
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to flag that i'm also suffering from this issue.
Userlevel 2
Same for me. Is there nothing that can be done as a quick fix? It's a shame, last.fm would be even better with covers displayed.
Userlevel 2
My Last FM is still missing artwork as described. Any news on when this may get fixed?

Pingers
Sonos have acknowledged it as a fault. http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?p=71965#post71965 Given that they never pre-announce updates, I guess we'll just have to wait for v2.8 and hope....
Userlevel 1
Badge
This issue should be resolved with the 2.8 update. Please let us know if you continue to encounter this problem.

Cheers,

Sid