Question

Desktop playlist fails routinely, every hour or two

Userlevel 2

For as long as I have been using Sonos, my desktop Sonos app using my iTunes music library fails every hour or two. It stops playing and if I try to manually start it again says “Unable to play song” for each and every song.  If I restart the app and unplug and replug the speaker it works again.  Same procedure every time.  This is extremely frustrating since I have created a master playlist for the house that is 7 days long so I don't have to hear the same song twice during the week.  Instead I hear the same songs hourly since I have to restart the playlist so often.  

My app and speaker are fully updated, and my music library is fully updated.  Is there anything I can try to fix this? The communication just stops randomly but there is never an issue with my wifi.  Never.  

I find that it may be when I try to use my iPhone to control volume or song while the music is playing from my desktop.  But my iPhone is also completely updated to latest software.  I’m not playing music from iPhone, just using the app as controller.  

Any suggestions? Is there a diagnostic I can upload?  Not sure how to do that.

6 replies

Userlevel 2

Just tested it again and it is as I said, if I change songs or volume via the iPhone app it will play the next song then stop working and everything - phone, desktop app and speaker have to be reset and start playlist over from beginning. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You can find the diagnostic submission under Settings then Help, once sent you must contact Sonos support with the number and a description of your issue. The contact page has all the options.

Userlevel 2

Ok, I sent diagnostics. I have no idea for what time frame that will include.  Will it include the two times my playlist failed earlier today when I had to restart?  Or just from right now while I’m not even using it? Nothing EVER works properly with Sonos and the support and even this forum is nearly impossible to navigate.  

Userlevel 2

FYI I looked at Support info.  It says they are too busy to take calls and emails will take at least a week to respond.  I emailed their support last year on another topic, still haven't had a response.  So hopefully someone is helpful here or it isn't getting resolved.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sounds like the Desktop is sleeping, which is why it works when using the controller on the Desktop, but not when using the iPhone.

As your music is on your desktop, it needs to be awake to play it. Change the power settings so it stays awake.

Userlevel 2

Thanks but that’s not it.  I changed that ages ago.  All of this is moot now because I got so frustrated I deleted my music library in order to re-add it and it WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO ADD MY MUSIC LIBRARY.  I’ve tried 37 times and even restored my computer to factory settings and tried again.  Won’t allow it.  Yes, firewall is off, yes all permissions are given from the iTunes folder.  I’ve checked it all.  It’s hopeless.