Answered

Desktop controller does not access music stored in itunes library.

• 12 January 2019
  • 5 replies

I've installed the desktop ontroller as advised in previous discussions. I've followed the instructions on how to access my music library (itunes), however a message appears on the conttoller -"no shared music files found" so no further forward. Advuce /help please?
icon

Best answer by Keith Batey 14 January 2019, 17:07

Success - after a bit more frustration - ESET security package was controlling fire wall and blocking SONOS.. Thanks for help.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not much data on which to even begin to assist you.

What kind of desktop are you using? What is the operating system it is running? What version of the controller software are you using?
Sorry for the lack of information.
Desktop controller is the Sonos Desktop controller version 9.3
I have checked updates and non required.
The operating system is Windows 7
The Firewall on the system is provided by ESET.
When following the instructions on how to access music library using the My Music option the message 'No shared folder 'Music' on this computer.'
When trying to use the second option - Another folder or device to locate the iTunes folder, the message 'No shared folder 'iTunes' on this computer.
I hope this gives a better starting point.
Sure does, thanks. But of course, I'm not an expert on Windows (well, less so than I am on Mac, which is what I tend to use more).

First thing I'd do is try a full re-install. Delete your current version of the controller. Don't worry, the great majority of the data that's important is stored on the speakers anyway. So delete, then do a reboot of your Win7 machine. Then download and install a new copy of the controller. That will force the normal 'setup' processes to be run, which might be of help.

Then go through the process of setting up the library, as detailed here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257

You may also want to look at the data under Windows 7 here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/813
Oh, when you run the newly downloaded controller, make sure you select "connect to existing system", otherwise you'll delete all the settings stored on your speakers.
Success - after a bit more frustration - ESET security package was controlling fire wall and blocking SONOS.. Thanks for help.