Question

Delayed Playback on MacBook

• 17 February 2020
  • 10 replies

I have a Sonos One SL connected to my MacBook Pro. When I use the desktop Sonos app, the music plays fine.  However, if I want to play a video, say using You Tube, there is a 30 second sound delay.

The only way around this that I have found is to change the sound to come out of my internal speakers, start the video, then click on the Sonos speaker and restart the video.

Any other ideas on how to play a video with sound through the speaker in a more efficient way?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @vaseline_dream, welcome to the Sonos Community, and let me help you with your concern. You should be able to stream your Mac’s audio to supported Sonos products without any issues. You may only experience a delay while streaming audio from live content, games, or some video apps via AirPlay. If it’s fine on your phone, maybe try and restart your MacBook and check how it’s connecting to your network. It should also work fine.

Hope this helps. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi there,

Has this been fixed?

I am experiencing this issue and its super frustrating, can a team member get in touch?

Iphone Airplays to Beam fine, no lag during play, MacBook though is super laggy.

Hi there @fat_wombat ,

Just to get a better understanding of your issue, I’d like to ask you a few questions:

1. Is there a non Sonos Airplay device you can test it out?
  2. Can you repeat the issue using an iPhone or an iPad?
  3. Does the issue on multiple sources via Airplay on your Macbook Pro?
  1. Is there a non Sonos Airplay device you can test it out? - Unfortunately no
  2. Can you repeat the issue using an iPhone or an iPad? Ipad no issues
  3. Does the issue on multiple sources via Airplay on your Macbook Pro? I am not sure what you mean by that. On the MacBook pro, output selected is Sonos One.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi there @fat_wombat ,

Just to get a better understanding of your issue, I’d like to ask you a few questions:

1. Is there a non Sonos Airplay device you can test it out?
  2. Can you repeat the issue using an iPhone or an iPad?
  3. Does the issue on multiple sources via Airplay on your Macbook Pro?

Hi @Sebastien D. I am having the same issue as well with a MacBook pro and Sonos one. Is there a fix to this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@willharper 

Would you mind submitting a diagnostic through the Sonos app? It provides us with a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue. Then, please reply back the diagnostic confirmation number so I can take a closer look at the issue.

For testing purposes, are you able to stream the same source directly from an iOS device? If so, was there also a delay as well?

Hi @Sebastien D. , I am having the same issue as well with a MacBook pro and Sonos one. When I airplay a video from my iPhone there is no audio delay but there is a delay on my Mac. My Mac is also using a wired connection so it is not a network issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

For testing purposes, are you able to stream the same source directly from an iOS device? If so, was there also a delay as well?

@Sebastien D. Thanks for the reply. My only guess is that, since I’m using this at my school, I know we have software that screens the videos before playing, and maybe that’s causing the delay. I wanted to check here in case there were any other solutions. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @joelanderinrobertson ,

Welcome to the community. In most cases where I see a delay on Airplay, it is usually tied to a problem like wireless interference. Keep in mind, there will be a short delay to get audio across the network and then broadcast to Sonos. The only thing that can be done is to address the connection between the source (MacOS) and the network.