Deezer skipping the last few days

Userlevel 3
I have Deezer Elite and it's been skipping half way through tracks on a regular basis these last few days. Are others seeing this? I have no problem with local files or Internet radio stations (or even Netflix in the telly), so I think it must be a Deezer/Sonos interface thing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI Jeff,

Went home and tested again... Still skips... Even though the speaker in question is wired, I checked wireless networks I have at home, one is set to channel 1, the other to 11. My other speaker is using wi-fi with channel 1.

Diagnostics number is 6358169

Hi Jabbba,

I've created a support ticket for you: 160714-001346. Please reach out to our phone team, reference that number, and they'll be able to take a deeper look into this issue. You can find our phone number and hours in your region here.
I have 60GB download
If only. I suspect you mean 60Mb.
Whenever I've attempted such quasi-blind tests the key problem is level matching. Different services do not play at the same level through Sonos. It's been demonstrated that humans can subconsciously detect differences as small as 0.2dB, and that all things being equal the louder will usually be preferred.

See http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html#toc_lt
The human ear can consciously discriminate amplitude differences of about 1dB, and experiments show subconscious awareness of amplitude differences under .2dB. Humans almost universally consider louder audio to sound better, and .2dB is enough to establish this preference. Any comparison that fails to carefully amplitude-match the choices will see the louder choice preferred, even if the amplitude difference is too small to consciously notice. Stereo salesmen have known this trick for a long time.

The professional testing standard is to match sources to within .1dB or better. This often requires use of an oscilloscope or signal analyzer. Guessing by turning the knobs until two sources sound about the same is not good enough.

Long story short, Apple in AAC256 and Deezer FLAC probably sound just the same, save perhaps for some pathologically non-musical killer samples. Years of level-matched DBT results support this.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
There could well be a lot of people experiencing the same problem who've come here, noted that it's not just them, and are now quietly waiting for a resolution.
Yep, I'm one of those.
I've taken advantage of the Apple Music trial and I don't notice that much difference at all in sound quality
For the vast majority ABX tests can't discriminate between AAC256 and lossless. Any difference you experience might be placebo.

Interestingly there have been comments that Mastered for iTunes content can if anything sound better than the equivalent 16/44.1 Red Book CD version. The offered explanation is that, despite the fact that it's delivered in a lossy format, Apple start off with 24/96 or 24/192 studio masters and then do their own sample rate conversion to 44.1kHz 32-bit floating point before AAC encoding, avoiding the need for dithering. They're also stringent about masters being free of clipping.
Don't know if it is just me but it appears that the recent issue with Deezer Elite on Sonos may have been resolved. Have been using the service most of this morning with no skips. First time in weeks this has happened. Of course solid performance for one morning is not a definite indicator the problem is fully resolved but hopefully so. If it is it doesn't alter the fact that the problem was allowed to persist for far too long with no meaningful communication to users from Deezer and limited communication from Sonos about steps being taken to resolve the matter. Overall, experience has not been good and will definitely be a factor I will have to weigh up in deciding whether to renew Deezer Elite at end February. At the moment I think it unlikely.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Just to be sure this continues to get attention.... I've had Deezer Elite for over a year and this issue pops up now and again, and has since last Spring 2015. It's been far, far more frequent in the past month or two however.

I firmly believe it's due to Deezer and their server architecture/capacity as has been mentioned. The selection and quality when this is not happening has kept me around, but it is certainly annoying and needs to be remedied. I am and have been in the US with Comcast broadband and PLENTY of headroom.

Hi, would you mind sending a diagnostic from the Sonos app? Please reply here with your confirmation number, thanks.
This isn't good reading. I've found Deezer Elite to be a really good product. But it went wrong around December and I spent a lot of time and money establishing the problem wasn't my set up. Sonos were great. Can't fault them. Eventually the service recovered but only because of Sonos intervention. Deezer ignored me or fobbed me off. I can't see how they can survive with this approach. I'm listening to Deezer Elite on Sonos now and it's great. But I know they can't survive. I just hope Apple have a high res service when my Deezer sub expires in one year's time.
I've had this same problem for months. After finally troubleshooting everything in my system, including upgrading my ISP's service, changing out routers and using multiple Connect's I finally contacted Deezer, only to have them give me the same runaround. They finally decided to "solve" my problem by dropping me down to a MP3 service only. No more FLAC. The drop in music quality was immediately obvious. At this point, I just want them to cancel my subscription and refund my prepaid amount.

BTW my incident number with them is 1257985.I have Deezer Elite (They also describe it as Premium+ on my account page.)

It was definitely Deezer. I have been using Tidal's 30 day trial and have not had the skipping issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with skipping on Deezer. Diagnostics sent.

Confirmation number: 5535716

Would love any feedback as to what may be contributing to the problem, as I'm about ready to give up on Deezer completely and seek a refund.

Hi Earlthe3rd,

There aren't any errors showing up in that diagnostic report. It would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. We've created a support ticket for you: 160307-001058. Please give us a call, reference that number, and we'll help get things working. You can find our phone number here.
Userlevel 3
Well, having started this thread it's nice to know that I wasn't alone, but I'm sorry that others appear to continue to have problems. I let my Sonos/Deezer Elite deal lapse and jumped ship to Spotify, which has been rock solid if not quite as good in terms of sound quality, which it more than makes up for in playlist choices.
Badge
Deezer Elite has been skipping for me for a couple of months. I either get a few seconds of music and then the "Bad encoding" message, or it just skips to the next track having played a few seconds. If I skip straight back to the failed track it generally plays fine every time

Has been doing it for a couple of months having worked fine for months before.

Same problems on wired Sonos Connect and two sets of paired wireless Play:1s.

I'm on a 70Mbit fibre (FTTC) connection from Sky in London.

Submitted a diagnostic just after it skipped - ID 5591892

Really annoying as I'm paying for a premium service that used to work fine, and is now mostly unusable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Deezer Elite has been skipping for me for a couple of months. I either get a few seconds of music and then the "Bad encoding" message, or it just skips to the next track having played a few seconds. If I skip straight back to the failed track it generally plays fine every time

Has been doing it for a couple of months having worked fine for months before.

Same problems on wired Sonos Connect and two sets of paired wireless Play:1s.

I'm on a 70Mbit fibre (FTTC) connection from Sky in London.

Submitted a diagnostic just after it skipped - ID 5591892

Really annoying as I'm paying for a premium service that used to work fine, and is now mostly unusable.

Hi AndyF66,

I'd like to get you in contact with our phone team and have created a support ticket for you: 160324-001213. Please give us a call and reference that number, our phone number can be found here.
I'm convinced that this is a Deezer issue, not a Sonos issue. I feel that it becomes a Sonos issue because Deezer has no support, and no forums for people to talk about things.

I have had intermittent drops, skipping and songs ending 5-10 seconds early (typically longer songs, like in classical music).

I have submitted diagnostics, and the Sonos team was very polite and helpful (as usual). I have a large Sonos setup, and I run most of it hardwired. The problems exist even when I unplug all of the devices except one (hardwired).

When the issues occur, they happen on any configuration (one unit turned on, or many;grouped/ungrouped; hardwired/wireless, etc.)

When things are running well, they run well on any configuration.

The only things I can think of where Sonos could have some responsibility:

- the handshake between Sonos/Deezer that allows flac streaming from Deezer needs attention
- the buffer in the Sonos is too small to handle large flac streaming in certain cases. (I have never had an issue with my local network flac files)

I hope that Sonos' new direction and focus on streaming will encourage more companies to stream at CD quality... Then Deezer will have to improve or be pushed aside...

In either case, I will use Deezer until my year long subscription is up. If it improves, great! If not, I'll move to another service...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Same problems here in Australia. I thought it was me, upgraded router, tried multiple setups, and only after I disconnected stereo pair and plugged one directly to the router, I got the proof it is Deezer. Actually, going wired, seems like it is dropping out even more. My Elite subscription is valid until February next year. I guses I am stuck. Really like the service, but Elite was a disappointment this year. Last year it worked great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problems here in Australia. I thought it was me, upgraded router, tried multiple setups, and only after I disconnected stereo pair and plugged one directly to the router, I got the proof it is Deezer. Actually, going wired, seems like it is dropping out even more. My Elite subscription is valid until February next year. I guses I am stuck. Really like the service, but Elite was a disappointment this year. Last year it worked great.

Hi Jabbba,

Please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the number, I'll take a look for you. Here's how to submit reports.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's been doing the same here in the uk! Real pain, sometimes it's fine, then it skips tracks! It's been working really well for months!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Jeff,

The number is 6352263.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,

The number is 6352263.

Thanks

Hi Jabbba,

It would probably help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system is using as it look like there's a bit of interference which could be a factor in the audio skips. Here's how to change the channel on your Sonos system.

If that doesn't help, please send in a new report, reply with the number and I'll take a look.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Jeff,

I am not sure what the diagnostics log showed, but Sonos is now wired directly to the router and it still skips. I will test more tonight.
Userlevel 1
Badge
HI Jeff,

Went home and tested again... Still skips... Even though the speaker in question is wired, I checked wireless networks I have at home, one is set to channel 1, the other to 11. My other speaker is using wi-fi with channel 1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
HI Jeff,

That doesn't sound good.

So - Your Sonos system will be connecting to your Wi-Fi Router (Either wirelessly or hard wired) - Note what channel that uses (You've said 1). Set your Sonos system to use channel 6 or 11 and check

I don't what this other wireless network you have is (On channel 11) but you could try changing that to 6 and Sonos to 11.

Interference is awkward because so many factors will affect it as the radio signals will do strange things in your domestic environment. But do make sure your Play 1 is as far from the router as possible and watch out for DECT phones and other sources wireless interference (microwaves, door bells, baby monitors and so on).
Hi!

Same problem here in Belgium. Deezer songs on Sonos will skip abruptly. Until now everything seemed to function normally and I listen to Deezer on Sonos nearly every day. When I listen to the deezer on PC I never experience these problems. Submitted the Sonos diagnostics Nr. 6512726. Hope you have solution to this :)

kind regards,

Janis
Hi Janis. A diagnostic at the end of such a long, old thread might get lost. If nobody at Sonos picks it up fairly quickly it might be worth starting a new thread and posting a new diagnostic there.

Incidentally, I don't know what the situation is in Belgium, but here in the UK Deezer Elite is available only on Sonos, so a much higher bitrate than the lossy files that would come through the PC (and therefore more likely to struggle if there is an underlying network problem).

Anyway, hopefully the diagnostic will help to identify and address the problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi!

Same problem here in Belgium. Deezer songs on Sonos will skip abruptly. Until now everything seemed to function normally and I listen to Deezer on Sonos nearly every day. When I listen to the deezer on PC I never experience these problems. Submitted the Sonos diagnostics Nr. 6512726. Hope you have solution to this :)

kind regards,

Janis

Hi Janis,

There are a few wireless communication errors showing up between your Sonog units. Most of the time changing the wireless channel that Sonos uses will help with issues like these by reducing interference from nearby signals.

If that doesn't help, take a look around and in between your Sonos units for any third party wireless device which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless baby monitors, wireless cameras, wireless TVs and wireless printers. Try moving any such device away from your Sonos units or power them off temporarily and see if things improve.

If neither of these steps help, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the number, I'll take a look.