Deezer skipping the last few days

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Hi, Like Colm I am also based in Ireland. My service supplier is Virgin Media (until recently UPC). Since Christmas week I have experienced the same issues everyone else has described with Deezer Elite, with 2-4 tracks each hour being ended early and skipping to the next track. I have had Deezer Elite since March last year and, having used it daily, never experienced this problem before. I initially assumed the problem was related to demand on the Deezer servers over the holiday period but the problem has since persisted and, as pointed out by another User, can happen at any time of the day. This would suggest the problem is not necessarily related to server capacity.

Because of the problems I was experiencing I subscribed to TIDAL a fortnight go which also streams lossless quality. No problems experienced to date despite extensive use.

Sonos are fantastic and I have no complaints about either product or service. However they should by now have enough diagnostic data to investigate / resolve the problem. If the problem happens to be with Deezer the issue should be taken up with them by Sonos and resolved as in effect it is rendering a music service provided by Sonos unuseable for a number of Users in the UK and Ireland and, by association, tarnishing the reputation of their service.

As for Deezer, while I had every intention of renewing my Elite subscription at end February when it expired it is becoming increasingly unlikely I will do so the longer this problem perists. A shame really.
I initially thought TIDAL was trouble-free, but regular continuous tests (on an alarm in the small hours) reveal this not to be the case. I dislike TIDAL for other reasons, including the lack of radio or listening-based discovery, and won't invest in a service which much of the press evidently don't believe has a viable commercial future. And, no, I don't really think MQA is the answer.

On present form I also won't be renewing Deezer Elite when my year's up in March. In the meantime Apple Music has been a refreshing revelation, and suffers from none of these reliability problems. Overcome the expectation bias and Apple's AAC256 encoder also sounds excellent. (It helps to know how much smarter than MP3 it is, and how AAC can't be ABX'd from lossless by most users above ~160kbps on normal music.) That said, if one of the majors (Apple, Google et al) came out with a well supported lossless service I could be tempted again, just because it's there.
Badge
Along with testing different services to see if they skip, I have also been conducting a little experiement to see if you can hear the difference with flac files and how they compare to the other services.

I currently have a sub to Deezer elite, Tidal hifi, Spotify and Apple Music. I have been conducting blind tests by adding the same track from each service to the queue and then jumbling them up so I dont know which is which before playing each track and seeing which track sounded best.

From my tests on average Deezer elite did come out on top most of the time, so flac files do make a difference but its not night and day with sometimes the other services comming out on top.
Second was Apple Music that was not as good as flac but was consistently better than Spotify.
So Spotify was last with the flatest sound.
I didnt test Tidal as it offers the same as Deezer.

So long story short I will also most likly go with Apple Music if Deezer is not sorted out as flac files are only a little bit better than AAC files to my ears.
Whenever I've attempted such quasi-blind tests the key problem is level matching. Different services do not play at the same level through Sonos. It's been demonstrated that humans can subconsciously detect differences as small as 0.2dB, and that all things being equal the louder will usually be preferred.

See http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html#toc_lt
The human ear can consciously discriminate amplitude differences of about 1dB, and experiments show subconscious awareness of amplitude differences under .2dB. Humans almost universally consider louder audio to sound better, and .2dB is enough to establish this preference. Any comparison that fails to carefully amplitude-match the choices will see the louder choice preferred, even if the amplitude difference is too small to consciously notice. Stereo salesmen have known this trick for a long time.

The professional testing standard is to match sources to within .1dB or better. This often requires use of an oscilloscope or signal analyzer. Guessing by turning the knobs until two sources sound about the same is not good enough.

Long story short, Apple in AAC256 and Deezer FLAC probably sound just the same, save perhaps for some pathologically non-musical killer samples. Years of level-matched DBT results support this.
Another problem with simply swapping tracks in a queue and listening for differences is that short term memory is not long, 30 seconds or less. This is why ABX test frameworks permit unrestricted switching back and forth, and often allow you to endlessly repeat the same music segment between defined time markers.

With Sonos unless one just flips between the opening bars of consecutive tracks the test is not that valid. Of course if the differences are large and stand out in absolute terms then it's another matter.
A.M. radio could probably sound better than Deezer Elite at the moment. Well at least you'll you'll hear most of the track. Because this problem has dragged on a bit, I can see already that this thread is changing from discussing Deezer Elite skipping to discussing our individual exit strategies. I'm not getting on with Tidal but was at least able to get all my Deezer playlists on it. I'll give Apple a go next.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
My subscription is up in march. I'll move elsewhere if this if not resolved.

Can sonos please give information as to whether the bug has been identified and a fix being worked on? Whether they be sonos or deezer who are responsible, I don't care but I think at the very least sonos should be able to answer the question above. Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi all, we are currently looking into this with our partner, and will update this thread as soon as we have more information to share.
Are you sure Deezer are looking into anything? I just got this reply from Deezer (below) which is disappointing to say the least. I pointed them to this forum and listed everything that has already been tried including this tip. They really don't care and that's the real problem. Escalating the Deezer query doesn't get any response. I already learned that.

Hi

Thanks for contacting Deezer

i'm sorry to hear you are having issues with Sonos and Deezer.

This issue can normally be fixed by following the below instructions:

Remove all Deezer details from your device

Switch your device off

Wait for 30 seconds

Switch your Sonos back on

re enter your Deezer details

If you need any more information or any further queries, please do not hesitate to come back to me

Many Thanks

Rose

Enjoy Listening
Userlevel 1
Badge
I got the same response today, really not happy about this, thank goodness for Apple Music! but I am paying for lossless music, it was fine for 2/3 months before Christmas, so whats happened?

Are you sure Deezer are looking into anything? I just got this reply from Deezer (below) which is disappointing to say the least. I pointed them to this forum and listed everything that has already been tried including this tip. They really don't care and that's the real problem. Escalating the Deezer query doesn't get any response. I already learned that.

Hi

Switch your device off

Wait for 30 seconds

If you need any more information or any further queries, please do not hesitate to come back to me

Many Thanks

Rose

Enjoy Listening
Badge
Out of interest is there anyone in the UK NOT having Deezer Elite skipping on them?

It's always hard to tell with forums if this issue effects everyone or only a select few of us?
Out of interest is there anyone in the UK NOT having Deezer Elite skipping on them?
And Ireland and Denmark

It's always hard to tell with forums if this issue effects everyone or only a select few of us?

There could well be a lot of people experiencing the same problem who've come here, noted that it's not just them, and are now quietly waiting for a resolution.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi

Switch your device off

Wait for 30 seconds

Many Thanks

Rose

Enjoy Listening
Yes we are investigating and working with Deezer, once there is more information to share, we will do so here.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
There could well be a lot of people experiencing the same problem who've come here, noted that it's not just them, and are now quietly waiting for a resolution.
Yep, I'm one of those.
Hi everyone --
So glad to have found this thread. I thought I was going insane! Exactly the same problem for me. Deezer Elite's been skipping since Christmas time. Have gone through diagnostics and spoken to someone from Sonos today who said that the problem's definitely with Deezer. However, they were unsure when it'd be resolved and when pressed said "a week or two rather than days". In the meantime, I've taken advantage of the Apple Music trial and I don't notice that much difference at all in sound quality (except for tracks finishing when they're supposed to). Deezer contract up for renewal next month. V. likely to ditch it if this isn't sorted with clear explanation soon.
I've taken advantage of the Apple Music trial and I don't notice that much difference at all in sound quality
For the vast majority ABX tests can't discriminate between AAC256 and lossless. Any difference you experience might be placebo.

Interestingly there have been comments that Mastered for iTunes content can if anything sound better than the equivalent 16/44.1 Red Book CD version. The offered explanation is that, despite the fact that it's delivered in a lossy format, Apple start off with 24/96 or 24/192 studio masters and then do their own sample rate conversion to 44.1kHz 32-bit floating point before AAC encoding, avoiding the need for dithering. They're also stringent about masters being free of clipping.
Deezer wrote to me just now. 'Rose' says 'Please be advised, that as this issue does not occur regularly, it make take our developers a little longer then usual to resolve the issue.'
It does happen regularly but I'm not going to argue with some software. Hopefully the SONOS guys can get somewhere for us as I've got zero confidence in Deezer customer service.
Don't know if it is just me but it appears that the recent issue with Deezer Elite on Sonos may have been resolved. Have been using the service most of this morning with no skips. First time in weeks this has happened. Of course solid performance for one morning is not a definite indicator the problem is fully resolved but hopefully so. If it is it doesn't alter the fact that the problem was allowed to persist for far too long with no meaningful communication to users from Deezer and limited communication from Sonos about steps being taken to resolve the matter. Overall, experience has not been good and will definitely be a factor I will have to weigh up in deciding whether to renew Deezer Elite at end February. At the moment I think it unlikely.
Badge
Going to jinx it as well but only tested one album that has always skipped on me and for the first time it played with no skips.

So fingers crossed that the issue could be fixed.

Still don't like the way Deezer has handled it with automated replied and no clear acknowledgement that this was a fault. Guess the only way to get them to listen is when the time comes to vote with your wallet and go elsewhere.
So far so good for me as well. No skipping today.
Shame on Deezer for disappointing communication on this. I'll stick with them for now, but any more nonsense and that's it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
All working fine here as well now. No skips for several days after hours of music. Deeper Elite had been near perfect for almost a year until this issue came up, so maybe just a blip.
Badge
Yep, I'm one of those.

I am one of them too (Deezer Elite in Belgium)
IME this issue still exists, albeit at a reduced level compared to what it was.
Just to be sure this continues to get attention.... I've had Deezer Elite for over a year and this issue pops up now and again, and has since last Spring 2015. It's been far, far more frequent in the past month or two however.

I firmly believe it's due to Deezer and their server architecture/capacity as has been mentioned. The selection and quality when this is not happening has kept me around, but it is certainly annoying and needs to be remedied. I am and have been in the US with Comcast broadband and PLENTY of headroom.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Just to be sure this continues to get attention.... I've had Deezer Elite for over a year and this issue pops up now and again, and has since last Spring 2015. It's been far, far more frequent in the past month or two however.

I firmly believe it's due to Deezer and their server architecture/capacity as has been mentioned. The selection and quality when this is not happening has kept me around, but it is certainly annoying and needs to be remedied. I am and have been in the US with Comcast broadband and PLENTY of headroom.

Hi, would you mind sending a diagnostic from the Sonos app? Please reply here with your confirmation number, thanks.