Question

Deezer Elite.. Is it worth it?

• 20 February 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge
Hey

So I've had Deezer Elite since I bought my Playbar last year and I enjoy the service and use it regularly and for £9.99 a month with a Sonos product it seemed fair. That has since gone up to £19.99 as I'm now out of the offer.

I'd like to share the account and get a family one from Deezer however this is £15 and doesn't provide the higher quality tracks that Elite does and currently Deezer do not offer an Elite Family account..

My question is this.. if I move over to the compressed Deezer version.. will I notice a difference?...

Cheers 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I certainly noticed a difference when my Elite subscription expired. I found a way to subcribe to the offer a second time--different email address and credit card. This, of course, won't help with your sharing idea. Why not consider Tidal hifi? I believe they have a sharing plan. Plus, their hifi works with everything, not just Sonos.
I'm up for Deezer Elite renewal soon. Unless I can get a good deal, I'm off to Spotify. About a year ago some of us remember a poor response to a track-skipping fault. Deezer were grim with their response. It went on for ages. I'm happy to pay a premium price for a FLAC service but also need some confidence that they can deliver it. If I can get another 9.99 deal, I might stay. Even then it's not looking good. 19.99 in my view, is not worth it for Deezer's poor customer service.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
For what it's worth I've never experienced track skipping in close to two years of Deezer Elite, and I enjoy their selection of music. But I will likely drop Deezer if I can't find a way to cheaply renew a second time. I'm happy with Tidal Premium, which here in Brazil costs less than half the price in North America. Now that Roon works with Sonos, and given that Tidal is highly integrated with Roon, Tidal is a no-brainer for me.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I'm up for Deezer Elite renewal soon. Unless I can get a good deal, I'm off to Spotify. About a year ago some of us remember a poor response to a track-skipping fault. Deezer were grim with their response. It went on for ages. I'm happy to pay a premium price for a FLAC service but also need some confidence that they can deliver it. If I can get another 9.99 deal, I might stay. Even then it's not looking good. 19.99 in my view, is not worth it for Deezer's poor customer service.

This is my take. I've been with Deezer for two years and they just auto-renewed me to a credit card number that had been shut down but had some sort of CC "forwarding" as it were (same credit provider) in place so that the charge wound up on a new card. I'd cancelled already and now its a giant hassle that finally resulted in chargeback. I've yet to hear a peep back from Deezer in 3 weeks. It is a mixed back. Their customer service is drastically lacking (barely existent) but I have very much found the Elite service to sound *absolutely* better. Taken as a whole however it is certainly *not* worth $240 USD per year so I'll (a bit sadly) be off as soon as this mess is sorted out. Were they to extend another $120/year offer I might well accept it but I've no reason to suspect they'll do seeing as I've yet to even receive a response of any sort from them. Ah well.
I was quite the Deezer evangelist here in the states before they rolled out to the masses - guess that was a mistake.

**edit - also FWIW, I experienced dropouts periodically (usually on and off for 2 week stretches a couple of times) during 2014-2015, but since 2016 I can barely remember any streaming issues at all, though I did upgrade my router and cable modem in that time as well which may have helped.
Also, I just want to reiterate that barring spotty customer service, their catalog and streaming *quality* is absolutely stellar. I just don't think it's worth double what most charge. At the same price however, between Spotify (or any other for that matter) and Deezer, I'd choose Deezer every single time.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Maybe it's just me, but I honestly couldn't tell any difference in quality, and that's through 3K's worth of hifi.

I stuck with the £5/month offer, which seemed a bit of a bargain.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I may roll back to Deezer Premium eventually, for now I'm just back to enjoying my own collection and a bit of Pandora. I'd forgotten how great their radio truly is - gold standard in terms of the music. I'm very interested in what their new Premium service may look/sound like.
I have 2 play1's in a stereo pair, and I'm in the same boat with regards to my Deezer Hi-Fi subscription. As a test, I got my son to stream a few songs, alternating between his Spotify account and my Deezer Hi-Fi account. He played the same songs, back to back, and asked me to say which one I thought was streaming in FLAC. I got it wrong as often as I got it right. 20 quid a month is harder to justify now that he's proved that my ears can't tell the difference between FLAC and Spotify's compression.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
You can still buy Deezer Elite for the equivalent of £9.99 per month if you are willing to pay for a year in advance at £119.88. You just have to remember to cancel your existing subscription plan the day before it automatically renews and then sign up again ( I notice that Deezer now email you about a month in advance of the contract renewal date to 'help you avoid' the unsuspecting having to reclaim a £240 charge. You have to access it via the Music Services section of the Sonos app and not via Deezer directly. Elite is now called Deezer Hifi (as opposed to Premium+) and you click on the £14.99 per month offer which automatically takes you to the Checkout page and you then find that you have the offer to pay £119.88 in full which is half price of the normal £19.99 per month. Either way you save either £120 per year or £60 per year over the normal Deezer Hifi rate and represents really good value in my opinion. I just diarise to cancel my subscription in 12 month's time.

The only negative for me is that you don't receive CD quality streaming on your mobile device unlike Tidal or Qobuz but given the big price difference I can live with it for the benefit of streaming quality on my Sonos system.