Data Tracking

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sonos Track your Data for commercial purposes. When I purchased my equipment in 2010 this was not the case. I asked Sonos to not retain my data or share it with other organisations.

This was the answer I got from customer support. I will post this everywhere I can to see if others think this is reasonable.

Hello Giles,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand that you are unhappy with the data that we collect.

We can delete all your data that we hold for your account but if we were to do this then you will not be able to use your Sonos products as having a registered account is now a requirement to use Sonos.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Kind regards,
Matthew P.
Sonos | Customer Care

I would expect this to be illegal. I am trying to find out. I will then take it further as I think this arrogant and rude response is unworthy of what was once a very good company.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Not a non sense... many poeple share drive with docs and mp3 to play with sonos. Then sonos player got access to many infos.
You have to set up a path to the music folder that contains your music files. Sonos does not have access to content outside the given path. Heck, the system cannot even read Microsoft Word or Excel files et al.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en
I wrote that many people make too large share. Including docs.
I make also linux based device. Is system can access file... system can transmit file. No need to be able to open it.....
There is no official Sonos Controller for Linux-based machines.
What's the os into sonos players ? 😉
The Sonos Controller is just a remote unit and the speakers are lacking the capacity and ability to even store music files, let alone transmitting alien files to... whom exactly?
I wrote that many people make too large share. Including docs.
I make also linux based device. Is system can access file... system can transmit file. No need to be able to open it.....

Got news for you, bub. Sonos has always required an account, and they have always collected data. The only change to their privacy statement was the fact they now share a portion of this with voice control services, the data collection part has always been there. The requirement for a username and password has nothing to do with data collection, it's a precaution against someone hacking your system from the outside since Sonos is now more open.

Sheesh, you'd think someone so paranoid about privacy would actually read a privacy policy before buying an internet connected device.