Data Tracking

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sonos Track your Data for commercial purposes. When I purchased my equipment in 2010 this was not the case. I asked Sonos to not retain my data or share it with other organisations.

This was the answer I got from customer support. I will post this everywhere I can to see if others think this is reasonable.

Hello Giles,

Thank you for writing back.

I understand that you are unhappy with the data that we collect.

We can delete all your data that we hold for your account but if we were to do this then you will not be able to use your Sonos products as having a registered account is now a requirement to use Sonos.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Kind regards,
Matthew P.
Sonos | Customer Care

I would expect this to be illegal. I am trying to find out. I will then take it further as I think this arrogant and rude response is unworthy of what was once a very good company.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
What is sonos doing about GDPR in uk? I don't remember any emails.

https://digitalguardian.com/blog/what-gdpr-general-data-protection-regulation-understanding-and-complying-gdpr-data-protection
"Commercial purposes" is kind of a vague term.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy

Take the above for Sonos's word on the topic. (note it does reference GDPR).

As I understand it, Sonos uses the data to improve it's services and for better marketing, if I could summarize it. That does including sharing the data with third parties where appropriate, as I read it. I don't know if that qualifies as commercial purposes to OP. Sonos clearly states that they do not sell your data.

The policy states that you can opt out for some of the data that's collected, and how to do that.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
"Commercial purposes" is kind of a vague term.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy

Take the above for Sonos's word on the topic. (note it does reference GDPR).

As I understand it, Sonos uses the data to improve it's services and for better marketing, if I could summarize it. That does including sharing the data with third parties where appropriate, as I read it. I don't know if that qualifies as commercial purposes to OP. Sonos clearly states that they do not sell your data.

The policy states that you can opt out for some of the data that's collected, and how to do that.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I don't want my data shared with 3rd parties and as far as I am aware (quite rightly) they are not legally allowed to if I advise them I do not. Not selling does not mean they do not make a financial gain. Commissions can be construed as non sale receipts
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
#1 Where has it been said Sonos sells data.

#2 Why do I care if Sonos were to give companies data on song usage averages. The streaming services already have that data - not sure why anyone would bother trying to get it from Sonos.

#3 Did you hear the sky is falling?
The third parties are the music services, and Amazon through Alexa. Pretty hard not to "share" data with a third party when you are actually accessing the "data" ( aka the songs you play, or commands you say, or the account information you enter) through those third parties.
I wouldn't say the response was rude, but that's a matter of opinion. I would have preferred a reference to the privacy policy and some comments about opting out of data collection where it can be done and how that effects features, as stated in the privacy policy

I wouldn't know the details about what legally constitutes a sale of data. I suppose that if data is shared with a third party and the third party pays Sonos for some other service, you could view that as a sale of data. I don't know if that is what you are referring to.

Regardless, and this is just my opinion, I feel more comfortable with Sonos holding my data then I do with many other companies out there.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
#1 Where has it been said Sonos sells data.

#2 Why do I care if Sonos were to give companies data on song usage averages. The streaming services already have that data - not sure why anyone would bother trying to get it from Sonos.

#3 Did you hear the sky is falling?
I don't want my data shared with 3rd parties and as far as I am aware (quite rightly) they are not legally allowed to if I advise them I do not. Not selling does not mean they do not make a financial gain. Commissions can be construed as non sale receipts
You've sold your Sonos gear. So why do you care anyway?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Personally I don't wish to be a free source of revenue when it wasn't envisaged when I bought the equipment. I made no reference to streaming services. If you properly read the e-mail response they sent you might appreciate it is somewhat more wide ranging than that.
The sky is falling? A very peculiar misquote. I am sure you had a point to make even if not erudite. I can only imagine..
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
You've sold your Sonos gear. So why do you care anyway?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Sadly I couldn't sell it all at anything more than a giveaway price. Thank fully I have a trusty Bluetooth speaker when Sonos needs an update or fails (rather often). I do have a stab at getting it working however and every now and again it does.
P.S. You are in good condition for a 98-year-old fellow. 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
P.S. You are in good condition for a 98 year old fellow. :D
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Oh dear. Trolls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Didn’t he say he sold bunch play5s. And he mentions none of this as to why the Sonos rep said they could delete data ( since he no longer has)

Totally misleading post and I’m sure Sonos rep mislead seeing his history.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We can see who has no credibility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I guess we should all just stop feeding you.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
We can see who has no credibility.
Ebay - Sonos Play:5 Gen 2, used. $449.00. A full 90% of retail when new. "Giveaway price" indeed! :8

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sonos-PLAY-5-Wireless-Speakers/217469028?iid=222988073014&chn=ps

Some Gen 1 models are going for more than they were new, and they aren't even sold anymore.

This thread is great for a laugh. He trips himself up so much, you'd think they were pratfalls.
Personally I don't wish to be a free source of revenue when it wasn't envisaged when I bought the equipment. I made no reference to streaming services. If you properly read the e-mail response they sent you might appreciate it is somewhat more wide ranging than that.

I still don't see where Sonos is getting revenue off our personal data. You mentioned something about commissions, but didn't really say anything about what you meant by that. How Sonos was getting money from third parties in exchange for data in some way.

As far as the email imply something is 'wide ranging', I see nothing like that. It's very vague. The email says nothing about what data is collected or how it is used. There may be more information and other email exchanges, but we don't see those. The policy link I posted does go into detail about what and how. So why should we believe that Sonos is doing something that their privacy policy states they won't do, or that there is some sort of legalese hidding the true intent, when you've given no evidence to support such a claim?

You've stated that you don't want Sonos sharing your data with third parties. It's legit to not want to use the products anymore for that reason since that's your concern. I don't think you'd have a legal case that Sonos can't change its privacy policy on you, as that seems to happen all the time with other companies. Even if you could win such a case, I don't see what you'd really accomplish.
I think that this will be a typical GDPR case in europe. I has to read GDPR completly at work, and this is a typical case. Customer has choice to refuse to share personnal data. it cannot be an "accept condition or stop to use product" clause !!! . that was the old way to do it, and it's the reason to be of the GDPR !!!!
i think sonos expose himself to big problems and huge cost. european GDPR talk about 5% of annual revenue (turnover) as penality !
the rude answer if probaly issued from an "customer suppport chat agent", not knowing about GDPR. Probably after the first lawer mail to Sonos, you will receive a more reasonnable answer...
I agree that share personnal data with third parties without agreement of customer is absolutly not correct. and where is the limit ? Sonos software can read everything in your harddrive.... can we imagine sharing all you documents with third parties ? it's the only other choice is to trash 3000€ of sonos players !!! ??????? this is hostage taking....
[...] Sonos software can read everything in your harddrive.... can we imagine sharing all you documents with third parties ? it's the only other choice is to trash 3000€ of sonos players !!! ??????? this is hostage taking....

What utter nonsense!
I has to read GDPR completly at work, and this is a typical case. (...) this is hostage taking....

You may want to read it again then. For both your employer's and your own sake.
Not a non sense... many poeple share drive with docs and mp3 to play with sonos. Then sonos player got access to many infos.

And it seems logical that law (reinforced with gdpr) does not allow to let sell players during 10 years and then accept a deal like : ok. Now i share your personnal data or you stop to use what you buyed.....

I don't beleive it.