Question

Crackling sound from Beam when streaming music

• 29 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

Has anyone else had problems with the Beam when streaming music though either iTunes or Spotify?

I noticed a problem when I first took delivery of the Beam that when streaming certain songs via Spotify there was an awful background cracking. I contacted Sonos support and they asked me send a video clip and diagnostics over, they were very helpful in arranging a replacement.  

However the replacement was delivered and still the crackling, I tried one certain song through Spotify and Apple Music and the cracking / popping was there in both. I tried playing the same track through my Bose Soundlink III speaker and the cracking could not be heard? Strangely if I play a YouTube video of the same song via my TV and Beam the crackling / popping is not there? I’m close to sending back for a full refund so any advice would be appreciated

Kind regards, Paul

2 replies

Badge

Has anyone else had problems with the Beam when streaming music though either iTunes or Spotify?

I noticed a problem when I first took delivery of the Beam that when streaming certain songs via Spotify there was an awful background cracking. I contacted Sonos support and they asked me send a video clip and diagnostics over, they were very helpful in arranging a replacement.  

However the replacement was delivered and still the crackling, I tried one certain song through Spotify and Apple Music and the cracking / popping was there in both. I tried playing the same track through my Bose Soundlink III speaker and the cracking could not be heard? Strangely if I play a YouTube video of the same song via my TV and Beam the crackling / popping is not there? I’m close to sending back for a full refund so any advice would be appreciated

is this a hardware or software fault do you know?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @pippo505. Thanks for posting.

It sounds like there is something not being translated to the Sonos player when its communicating with the TV. If you unplug the optical connection/HDMI connection and navigate in the app to play the music services, does the cracking remain?