Answered

Cracking/popping/clicking sound when playing to Sonos Arc or Sonos One from Apple Music macOS app over AirPlay 2

• 7 July 2021
  • 3 replies

(There are other similar topics in these community forums, all closed. None seem to have a solution that works.)

When I play music from the Apple Music app on my M1 MacBook Pro to my Sonos Arc or Sonos One over AirPlay 2, there are occassional, random short high-frequency cracking, popping or clicking sounds. They make the music unlistenable.

This does NOT happen if I change any of the variables; e.g. there are no errant sounds from the Sonos app (playing Apple Music), the iOS Apple Music app, the Spotify app on the MacBook Pro, or a non-Sonos AirPlay speaker. When I separate the Group to just one of the Sonos speakers, the popping persists, but it is worse on the Ones than the Arc.

Sonos phone tech suppport was helpful, but ultimately decided it was an AirPlay problem and that I should contact Apple. I think it is a Sonos/AirPlay issue, and so I feel stuck. Apple will say it is a Sonos issue.

Does anybody have any solutions or advice?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 7 July 2021, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you tried unplugging the Arc and One from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your MacBook and router? Also try toggling the “Play Feedback When Volume is Changed” option on/off under System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects.

Badge

Same issue.

Likely the same answer, too.