Answered

Copy music library to external hard drive for Mac laptop to drive Sonos Play Five

• 2 August 2018
  • 2 replies

My large music library is on my PC, but I am trying to see if I can copy that to an external hard drive to use on vacation with an Apple MacBook Pro laptop to drive my Play Ones and Play Fives.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 August 2018, 01:21

You can put your music library on any hardware the computer can see, and point the Sonos app at that location. This is how the NAS solution works.

A couple of caveats, though. You can’t put it in a cloud drive (like Dropbox, for instance), and there may be a need to be sure that SMB v1 is turned on (I think).

It’s hard to tell whether you are talking about a normal external drive or a true NAS, but you should be able to make either work.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You can put your music library on any hardware the computer can see, and point the Sonos app at that location. This is how the NAS solution works.

A couple of caveats, though. You can’t put it in a cloud drive (like Dropbox, for instance), and there may be a need to be sure that SMB v1 is turned on (I think).

It’s hard to tell whether you are talking about a normal external drive or a true NAS, but you should be able to make either work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you just want a drive and not to have to use your computer the WD Live Drives work well for that.

If you want to use a drive accessed through your Mac pretty much any drive it has a connection for will do the job.