Question

Control Sonos with Deezer

• 23 February 2017
  • 15 replies

Badge
Apologies if this has already been asked, but are there plans afoot to allow this functionality like you have done with Spotify? As you seem to be more afiliated with Deezer, I would have thought they would have been your first port of call.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Badge
Yes, it always comes down to ROI. If they don't feel it is going to add any value, or enough people have requested it etc. then it is business as usual.

To be fair, the integration with Sonos in its current state is fine, it has improved leaps and bounds over the last couple of years or so. It would just be a nice to have as opposed to a necessity. Therein lies the problem I guess.

Looks like i could have answered my own question.

Oh and thank you for having me. 😃
Generally speaking, Sonos doesn't share its roadmap with us. They had the opportunity to do the parallel development effort with the Spotify team, so now they've developed (and may still be adjusting) the API. It's possible that Spotify indicated the desire to do this at an auspicious time, who knows? In any case, the API has now been written, and I'm assuming it will be made available for any particular third party to pick up and implement as well. So you may want to start pinging Deezer, rather than the folks here at Sonos, since they'll need to do most of the heavy lifting.
Badge
Thanks for the update, much appreciated.
Hey, I'm not a Sonos employee, so take everything I say with a grain of salt :)

That being said, you're most welcome!
Badge
Ha ha, it sounded convincing enough to me. You certainly know more than I do.

There never seems to be a definitive answer to these types of questions, generally with both sides pointing the finger at each other. It will have to be a joint effort, but it would just be interesting to know who drives these decisions, and what part each plays in the development and implementation process.

You would have though that Deezer would have been hot on the heels of Spotify, as you can't help but feel they have stolen a march on them. Just my opinion. 😃
No argument here, and I'm sure that it is a dual implementation, but since Sonos has already written 90% of it, I do suspect the hard work is on Deezer's side. And Apple's, and all the other third party folks that use the Sonos platform who want the same kind of thing that Spotify has started. I think it boils down to how impactful it is on each companies' bottom line. Why expend the effort if it doesn't make them more money?

Welcome to the community 🙂
Hi, Hopefully this is on the way. Deezer just launched a desktop app. It would be good to have the Deezer control option for sonos, as there are features in the Deezer interface that are not available in the sonos app.
Deezer would need to implement most of the features, and then Sonos could publish it in the app. I'd recommend contacting Deezer to see if they intend to do so.
Deezer is coming to Google Home soon, so it should be available for voice control once Sonos integrates Google Assistant next year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Amazon need to support Deezer before Sonos can via Alexa.

I confess I dont understand why Sonos went this way. One of their huge advantages was multi-service-support, but they threw this away by choosing to do their Alexa integration the way they did. They are beholden to Amazon for supported services now.

Happy to say that other Skills do work with Deezer/Alexa/Sonos 🙂
Amazon need to support Deezer before Sonos can via Alexa.

I confess I dont understand why Sonos went this way. One of their huge advantages was multi-service-support, but they threw this away by choosing to do their Alexa integration the way they did. They are beholden to Amazon for supported services now.

Happy to say that other Skills do work with Deezer/Alexa/Sonos :-)

You may be the single most annoying Spammer here, and we are talking about a forum that was basically brought down for months by a large team of offshore Spammers posting hundreds of times an hour. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do not believe there was any other way to do Alexa support. They had to play by Amazon's rules in order to access their voice service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not true at all. If they had done their own Skill (eg "Alexa, ask Sonos to..") they could have done exactly what they wanted and supported every music service they already support. However they chose deeper integration (no need for "ask Sonos") so became entirely beholden to Amazon's demands, which curiously requires Amazon to support the music service natively.
You seem oblivious to the politics here. Sonos is a relatively small player in the space now that Amazon, Google and soon Apple have muscled their way in. Sonos needs to play Switzerland to these powers in order to get their content on Sonos devices. Sonos can’t just do things their own way, but must play by the big bullies’ rules to make them all happy and offend none of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has done their own skill but they are beholden to what amazon allows them to do (in what you say being passed in to their skill) To say they can do whatever they want is not the way it works.