Answered

Content NAS Music Folders disappears

Userlevel 2

Hi,

I own a S2 system (3xFive + Port) with more than 12000 tracks in FLAC & MP3 on 4 folders of a Synology Nas. This year I found out at I couldn't alter my library, without unplugging al the Sonos components & performing the Update Library with just one active component. Also my Port lost, during the night, track of al the music I played the day before. The Fives hadn't had that problem.

These BUGs seemed to be resolved with an update from Sonos this month. But yesterdat I noticed that one of my folders are empty, so I can play just 5000 or 6000 from the whole collection. I took me half an hour to get all folders back, because by adding one folder I lost 2 others.

Today I found out I miss again a folder!

Perhaps this problem is also due to the automatic Library Update during the night, which is, for me, not interesting. Because when I added the folder I lost again 2 others.

I'll try to add my folders again & uncheck the autoUpdate function. But that's only a WorkAround

What could be the problem?

Diagnostics: 984608271

gR.oetjeS. / gR.eetingS.

roel

icon

Best answer by Corry P 31 May 2022, 16:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I’m not too sure what your problem is here, unless it’s an issue with the NAS SMB shares, the associated Sonos product, local track metadata or perhaps the length of some track paths, but just to say you can switch off the automatic indexing in the Sonos App, if that may assist you whilst trying to resolve the matter…

Goto ‘Settings/System/Music Library’ and toggle off the option to ‘Schedule Music Index Updates’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @QRgroep 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As your Sonos devices are all connecting to Wi-Fi broadcasts that are not transmitted directly from the router, and as they don’t seem entirely happy with their connections, I think the best thing to try first is connecting any one of your Sonos devices to the router with an ethernet cable. Ideally, this would be a unit centrally located, relative to the other Sonos devices. Please keep the wired unit at least 1m away from the router or any other WiFi access points.

If your NAS is not also ethernet-wired directly to the router, please do so.

Wait about 1 minute, then check Settings » System » About my System to make sure all 4 devices show WM:0, meaning that they are connected via SonosNet, broadcasted by the wired unit. If any do not, please reboot them by unplugging from power. When, and only when, all 4 show WM:0, please then go to Settings » System » Network » Change SonosNet Channel » 1. We’re doing this because your 2.4GHz WiFi is on channel 12, which overlaps with channel 11 - the channel your Sonos system is currently set to use once SonosNet is active.

Please then try updating/adding the music share - whichever stage you are currently at. If it doesn’t index and play perfectly, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Corry P,

Thanks for your reaction & come back with the results. I'm hesitating using SonosNet, cause there are too much WiFi NetWorks in my neighbourhood. But your advise is to use the SonosNet instead of my own WiFi?

And my SetUp worked fine for years, just the last few months I had troubles with my Library.

gR.oetjeS./gR.eetingS.
roel

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @QRgroep 

Two of your Fives had a high count of Wi-Fi DEAUTH errors - these used to be seen on older devices incapable of connecting to 5GHz Wi-Fi whose host routers were attempting to steer (bandwidth steering) them onto 5GHz. Why your Fives are reporting this, when already connected to 5GHz, I do not know. These errors may be interfering with the completion of music library indexing, however, so I think it best to try and bypass your Wi-Fi for now. If you don’t see an improvement, by all means remove the ethernet cable after testing.

I did take a look at what channels are in use, and channel 1 seems fairly clear.

Even though you may not have made any changes, your neighbours may have - perhaps the changed Wi-Fi environment is affecting connections, or perhaps your router updated it’s firmware?

I noticed multiple access points for your network - what are these, please? If they are WiFi extenders, they are not supported by Sonos as they generally don’t do a very good job. A WiFi mesh system would be more suitable.

Userlevel 2

@Corry P ,

Hi… I didn't find the time to act on your answer. Just did. The 3 Fives went direct to WM:0 but the Port staid on WM:1. At least until i unplugged & plugged the Power for the Port… Now all devices have WM:0. I also started an indexation of my library, which gave the same problem as before. 2 Out of 4 Folders are empty.

Diagnostics: 2005665419.

gR.oetjeS. / gR.eetingS.
roel

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @QRgroep 

Thanks for the diagnostics. Your system is still on channel 11, which overlaps with the channel that your WiFi is using. Please go to Settings » System » Network » Change SonosNet Channel » 1.

I don’t see any errors of the type I saw before since the configuration change - in fact, I see the system start the indexing (about 100 seconds before you submitted) and producing no errors at all.

If you don’t see your folders’ contents now, I recommend removing them from the Sonos app and adding them on again to force a remount of the share. With the errors gone, the process should be smoother.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2

@Corry P 

I changed the channel for SonosNet to 6 & started another Indexation. Now just 1 out of 4 empty. So this doesn't fix my problem…

Diagnostics: 2005665419.

I will get in contact with Technical Support.

gR.oetjeS. / gR.eetingS.
roel

Userlevel 2

@Corry P

CHANNEL 1 was at the moment I changed to SonosNet the best solution. One of my neighbours had a very loud(...) WiFi on that exact channel. Now that is just a third as loud…

But I now also deleted the QR.MP3 folder and added it again. That seems to be working, but I'm affraid for the moment I actually do want to change something to my Library…

gR.oetjeS. / gR.eetingS.
roel

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @QRgroep 

Getting in touch with our technical support team might just be the way to go. I recommend that you first reboot all your Sonos devices, recreate the issue and submit a diagnostic before calling in, just to clear all the old errors out of the diagnostic summary that the technician will see.

Glad to hear you’ve made some progress, at least!