Connection Lost to Google and Amazon

• 26 February 2020
  • 38 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 18 replies

Lately whenever I try to play songs, stations or anything from either the iPhone app or Mac app, from either Google Music or Amazon music, I receive an error messages. Either,

1. “Unable to play [music] - connection to Amazon Music/Google Play Music was lost”
  2. Can’t add songs to my cue
  3. Amazon song was not encoded correctly

My wifi connection is strong, so it’s not a home network issue.

Please help.

Diagnostics number is 2075267838

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @ngin,

Welcome to the community and thank you for reaching out to us with your playback issue. 

It looks like you have reset your Sonos system since reaching out to us. Are you continuing to experience playback issues? 

Is it possible to wire one of your Sonos players directly to your Eero router with an Ethernet cable to see if this changes the playback performance. 

If necessary, please submit another diagnostic report and I’ll be happy to look it over.

Badge

Hi Jean,

I am still having the issue. My latest diagnostic report number is 1291508998. The same issue is happening where when I try to play a station, playlist, album or song, the error message says either that it can’t add the music to my queue or that the connection was lost.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello again @ngin, and thank you for the follow up. 

I’ve taken a look over your reports and it looks like you’re in a fairly busy (WiFi) environment which could be contributing to your playback woes. 

Can you tell us how far away your three speakers are from each other and from the primary Eero router?

Do you have plaster or concrete walls that could be blocking or interfering with your overall network communications?

You may find this article on network interference useful although it may not be possible to change the WiFi channel on you Eero from channel 1, but there may be some other ways that we can iron out the wrinkles here. 

Badge

Hi Jean, 

One speaker is in the same room, maybe 12-15 feet away with nothing to interfere. The second is in the next room over, an additional 15 feet away. The third is upstairs from the primary Eero, but in the same room as the beacon/booster, 5 or so feet away.

This is a new occurrence. I have not had this issue before and my floor plan and Sonos layout have not changed. 

The Eero is the newest variable, which I set up in November. I wonder if it is related.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for your response @ngin,

Usually When I see the kinds of latency and communications issues that I do in your system, There’s a couple of things that I would want to look at. 

First would be the actual location of the speakers themselves. Are your speakers sitting on or near anything metal or electronic that could be interfering with communications?

Is there any way that you can wire one of your speakers to the primary Eero node and test music playback? 

When any one Sonos speaker is wired, it begins broadcasting it’s own mesh network and I’d be interested to see if this changes the playback behavior.

If you can provide any information about the router or modem that is feeding your Eero router, that would also be helpful in helping us identify the weak link in the chain.      

Badge

Hi there. This is still an issue. I wired one of the speakers into the modem and I still received the same error.

I also just tried to update my system and I get a code 30 error. This is incredibly frustrating.

Badge

As far as  router info, I have an Arris Surfboard SB6183. I just now have the Sonos running through a Netgear GS605 switch since I changed the system to wired. 

I just submitted diagnostics: 188835442

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @ngin,

Thank you for the additional information on your system. 

Since you are getting Update Error 30 you will need to start by unplugging your other two Sonos Play: 1s from power. Start by working only with the Living Room player that is wired into your Eero and follow these steps: 

1. Reboot your Arris Surfboard, your Netgear switch and your Eero router by unplugging them from power for about a minute each.
  2. Reboot the Living Room Play: 1 by unplugging it from power for about 10-20 seconds.
  3. When your player connects again try the update. your other two players should remain un-powered until this update completes. 
  4. If possible wire the Sonos product directly into your Eero router than than the Netgear switch. 
  5. If you are successful in updating this single player, plug the remaining players in one at a time and complete the pending updates. 

Please report back and let us know how you are doing.   

Badge

Unfortunately, the update still didn’t work. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@ngin, are you getting the same error code?

Can you please submit a follow-up diagnostic report and respond with the number?

Badge

Yes, same error. Here’s the diagnostic number: 157924829

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thanks for that @ngin.

It looks like your other speakers are still powered on and the Ethernet cable itself might be bad. 

Is it possible to change the cable and then try the update one more time?

Please make sure that both Kitchen and Office are unplugged and that only Living Room is powered on and wired into the network.  

Badge

I had plugged in the kitchen unit after running those steps. But once again, I unplugged the other units, this time I changed the Ethernet cord (which works for other devices) and tried the update again  I still got the error 30 code  

The latest diagnostics number is 117914188. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @ngin

I’m still getting a flag for a possible bad cord in the system. 

Can you try plugging the Sonos speaker into a different port or try switching to a third Ethernet cable?

If this isn’t working, try unplugging the Living Room from power and wiring the Kitchen Play: 1 into the router instead.

Update error 30 indicates that the Sonos products are not able to reach our update servers and download the information. 

If this continues to give you the same update error you may need to reach out to our support team directly for assistance.     

Badge

I followed your suggestions and wired the kitchen with another cord and received the same error. 
Diagnostics: 1572032508

i thought this was the support team. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @ngin,

Thank you for the updated diagnostic report from your system. 

Although I am Sonos Support, I would be unable to assist you live on the phone. Sometimes these situations require a more hands on approach. 

Meanwhile, I have been able to track down a possible source of this issue.   

It’s possible that the combination of your Arris Surfboard and Eero is a known bug and you may want to touch base with Eero Support to verify the issue. 

Please keep us posted on your situation, updating your modem firmware might be all that is needed.  

Badge

I contacted Arris and they don’t know of this issue. 

I am getting tired of this. What can you do to help me fix this?

Have you called in to Sonos support, so it’s not a disjointed back and forth in a forum?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @ngin,

Have you reached out to Eero support?

The Eero support page I was able to find seemed to have a possible fix by upgrading the Arris firmware. 

They should be able to assist you with your firmware update if Arris has not been able to help you. 

Your ISP or a network professional may also be able to provide support for your network hardware if you are not comfortable with logging into the modem yourself. 

Badge

Hi Jean,

I already reached out to Arris. I am simultaneously working with Sonos, Eero and Arris to figure out where the issue lies and everyone is point fingers at everyone else.

I can say definitively that Sonos is the only piece of the puzzle that I am having issues with. It’s specific to my Sonos speakers not being able to complete the latest updates, as well as loosing connection with the music/radio services. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I understand what you are saying @ngin, this very specific Sonos update error is very likely directly related to combination of your Eero and that particular Arris Surfboard. 

Upgrading the Arris firmware as the Eero support page suggests should resolve this issue. 

We would be unable to do anything about it since the Eero/Arris equipment combination is what allows or prevents your Sonos system access to both the update servers and the music services servers.

I’m not certain that Arris themselves would be aware of issues occurring downstream with third party equipment but they should be able to help you update the firmware on their modem.

Eero support should be better able to assist you since it is an issue between their routers and that specific Arris product and firmware version.  

Badge

Hi Jean. My firmware is updated. I do not have that version of firmware. My version is SB6183-9.2.0.0-GA-04-37-NOSH

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for verifying that for me, @ngin.

If your Surfboard and Eero are not in conflict, the only other source of the issue remains the Ethernet connection between Sonos and the router. 

I know that you changed the cable before but I’m still seeing a flag for a bad cable connection. 

At this point all I can suggest is to change the Ethernet cable,

Un-power your Arris modem and all of your Eero nodes

Unplug all of your Sonos speakers from power. 

Power you network back up starting with the Modem and then the Eero.  

Power the Sonos speaker wired to the router back on.

Try the update one more time. 

If the system still gives you error 30, please reach out to us by phone during the week so that we can assist you live with this. 

Badge

Hello,

It seems that the issue may be with specific Sonos units. When I put music on in the Living Room unit, I get the error that the connection is lost. However, when I put the same music on in the Kitchen (a newer unit from March 2019), no connection is lost. The other two units are older - I’m not exactly sure how old but at least 5 years old. Does that help solve this issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @ngin,

The strength of the communication between the players and the router will definitely effect these issues. The newer player may able to maintain a stronger network connection than the older players. If you frequently group these together you may want to try playing to the kitchen and then adding living Room and Office to the playback group. It’s likely that you will still get playback errors until the Sonos system update can be completed.