Answered

Connecting CD Player to Sonos Connect and Sonos speakers

• 25 May 2018
  • 4 replies

After successfully downloading the Sonos app, completing the installation process for Sonos connect and two Sonos speakers, and being able to play digital music (on Amazon music) through them, I have not been able to play CDs on my Onkyo - DX 1800 through the Sonos system (even though I have tried lines in from the CD player and/or my amplifier to the Sonos Connect). Specifically, I see nothing on the Sonos app allowing me to add my CD player to the Sonos system.

I have a couple of questions: First, can anyone explain to me how do add my Onyko CD player so that it works with Sonos? If my Onkyo CD player is not compatible with Sonos, could you suggest a low cost CD player that is? (And, yes, I know I am a bit of a dinosaur for having the vast majority of my music on CDs; but that's another discussion ...). Any help you can provide will be much appreciated, John
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 25 May 2018, 23:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Carlab, your CD should definitely work with the Connect. First off, you should see all three Sonos devices ( the connect and 2 speakers), listed as rooms in your Sonos app. If you don't see that, you'll need to add whatever device is missing. Then of course, use RCA cables to connect the output of the CD player to the input on the connect. Then from within the app, you can play your CDs by going to Browse, then selecting Line-in from the list. That should do it.

FYI, you can set some defaults for the Connect that will make it a little easier. If you click "More", then "Settings", then "Room Settings", then the name of room with your Connect, then "Line-in"...you can do stuff like rename Line-in to CD, set the source volume level, and autoplay to one of your speakers whenever a CD starts playing.
Thanks melvimbe, Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a try and let you know the results. Carlab
Thanks again, melvimbe. Your directions worked! I am now enjoying Sonos sound in a bunch of new places in my home. Carlab
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
Carlab, your CD should definitely work with the Connect. First off, you should see all three Sonos devices ( the connect and 2 speakers), listed as rooms in your Sonos app. If you don't see that, you'll need to add whatever device is missing. Then of course, use RCA cables to connect the output of the CD player to the input on the connect. Then from within the app, you can play your CDs by going to Browse, then selecting Line-in from the list. That should do it.

FYI, you can set some defaults for the Connect that will make it a little easier. If you click "More", then "Settings", then "Room Settings", then the name of room with your Connect, then "Line-in"...you can do stuff like rename Line-in to CD, set the source volume level, and autoplay to one of your speakers whenever a CD starts playing.

THANK YOU for posting this.

There is NO MANUAL or directions about how to set up the CONNECT LINE IN as a room and then all the options. I am pretty PO... for the price point of this item. REALLY??? So there is a 'new' website which is actually less helpful than the older one.

Below is the link to the 'Product Manual' for the Connect (its a link to a page with all items and connect is one of them)

There is NOTHING about how to set up CONNECT in the APP so it will work with an audio device.

https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fconnect%2Fconnect.htm%23TOC_Specifications9bc-5&rhtocid=_0_1_10_4

really SONOS?

ETA ok so i found hidden in another menu a section called 'From other audio devices'

https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fmusic-sources%2Fmusic-sources.htm%23TOC_From_other_audio_devicesbc-9&rhtocid=_0_6_5

So I guess you would have to know to look in that section to find this subsection.
This subsection should be referred to in the setup of the CONNECT

(I write technical documents, this stuff is so frustrating - hire me SONOS to revamp your manuals!).