Concerns for the future of Audible Integration

• 29 August 2017
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
About a year ago I commented on a thread in these community forums that was expressing concern at the removal of the Audible service integration.

As is the case with many people; Audible integration was a huge part of my reasons for investing in Sonos (my investment in the platform is detailed below). As someone with Dyslexia, I consume a vast number of Audiobooks, and the ability to have the play anywhere in my house was huge for me.

I expressed at the time that the emotional response to the removal of the Audible service had felt like theft; in that, it was something I had; and then woke up to find I didn’t have any longer. In this way I was sympathetic to the frustrations expressed in many of the other posts; however, I also said that I felt that Sonos had been responding to the community. They had explained the situation, and I felt in doing so had earned my confidence in addressing this situation. Adding my comment to the thread was simply a way to help them see the community wanted the feature and to help them prioritise a resolution.

Over the subsequent year, I checked into the thread every month or so hoping to hear that Audible integration had returned, but there were just mounting comments expressing frustration. However, on February 8, 2017, there was an official comment made that stated the following: -

"We know a lot of Audible fans are eager to get Audible back working on their Sonos systems and we’re pleased to announce that Sonos and Audible have committed to bringing Audible back to Sonos by this summer. Please bear with us—we appreciate your patience!"

I was happy and glad that it was finally going to get resolved.

Expecting it to appear in an update at some point over the subsequent months I didn't check the forums again until today. The lengthy thread that had been there for over a year was gone. Instead, there were some angry posts created suggesting that the frustrations with the lack of Audible support had not gone.

I am not sure why the original thread was removed; however, I think that it's clear that Sonos should address the concerns of its community. There may be reasons why this isn't being addressed, but I believe that the current lack of communication is only exacerbating the situation. I would like to know that Sonos understand why there is frustration here; and what steps they are currently taking to resolve it. Was the post on February 8th inaccurate or has the situation changed?

I originally praised Sonos for its communication; however for whatever reasons this has not been maintained. I am not calling for a boycott, and I am not ranting about my entitled position. I am writing this post in the hopes that Sonos community support team can have a reasonable objection to responding to, and I hope that they take the time to do so.

Sonos is a great system; it works well. I hope that Audible comes back soon.

Will

My Sonos system:

• 1 x Playbar
  • 1 x PlayBase
  • 4 x Play:1
  • 2 x Play:5
  • 1 x Connect.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Keeping in mind that I have no official information, I anticipate that when "Alexa" integration is added you will be able to use Audible again.

So, there's that.
Userlevel 1
I think that there has clearly been a lot of conversations between Sonos and Amazon; I suspect that Alexa integrations and the rumours of Sonos's own "smart speaker" have played a part in a resolution to Audible integration being resolved. However, I don't think it's impossible that if that deal is no longer going ahead; it might leave Audible integration out on a limb.

It's a little off topic but I think that and Audible Sonos partnership would be great for the consumer. However, I am skeptical about this becoming a reality. I would be happy to be proven wrong about this.

It's a little off topic but I think that and Audible Sonos partnership would be great for the consumer. However, I am skeptical about this becoming a reality. I would be happy to be proven wrong about this.

Sonos just announced a major voice control event for Oct 5, there have been leaks all over the place about Alexa/Sonos betas, they promised an Alexa/Sonos implementation this year, something they very rarely do and never, ever have reneged on; yet there are still some wearing the tin-foil hats thinking this is all vaporware?

Dear Lord. :8
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Audible usn't as simple as music as it requires data to be written to your personal Amazon account due to Whispersync.
When Amazon changed to full Whispersync support it stopped working on Sonos. Why? Because Sonos goes and fetches a data stream to play. Audible no longer works like that.

If you look at Audible and it's syncing, readily, easily and lengthily explained on Amazon and Audible you can see for yourself why it ain't easy. An immediate reaction is not only Sonos modus operandi requires a complete overhaul to send info as well as just fetch it, but security and privacy issues about an external programme writing data to your personal Amazon account and how to preserve those main concerns.

This may, or not, be permissible in law in some territories. I can't think of anything else that allows a third party programme to access a personal accpunt.
That's an excellent point, BoredofBalham.

And I wonder if Amazon's own march forward on their own speakers (Echo/Alexa) might be slowing down their effort on making it work on Sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Expecting it to appear in an update at some point over the subsequent months I didn't check the forums again until today. The lengthy thread that had been there for over a year was gone. Instead, there were some angry posts created suggesting that the frustrations with the lack of Audible support had not gone.

I also noticed that this thread was gone and submitted a post yesterday asking what happened to the thread. My post seems to have gone also.

Until we hear from Sonos, my best guess is that the official Audible thread had become way too bloated with complaints and insulting responses to be a good conduit for anymore official announcements from Sonos. If this is the reason for the thread's disappearance, I view that as a sign that Sonos is preparing to announce something about Audible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I also noticed that this thread was gone and submitted a post yesterday asking what happened to the thread. My post seems to have gone also.

Until we hear from Sonos, my best guess is that the official Audible thread had become way too bloated with complaints and insulting responses to be a good conduit for anymore official announcements from Sonos. If this is the reason for the thread's disappearance, I view that as a sign that Sonos is preparing to announce something about Audible.

Hi mwiseman,

While I don't have a timeline update to share right now, we're still working to bring Audible back. The main thread had a new post that triggered our spam filter, hiding the entire thread. We've since fixed that and the thread is active again.
I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that the original Audible thread was gone. It is right in the Announcements section, where it has been all along:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/important-information-for-audible-listeners-6731128/index1.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm not sure where anyone got the idea that the original Audible thread was gone. It is right in the Announcements section, where it has been all along:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/important-information-for-audible-listeners-6731128/index1.html

To be fair that thread did spend a day or so in our spam filter.

It was missing yesterday, apparently due to the infamously bad spam filters.
Thanks for the clarification. I see InSided's filters are still state of the art. 😃
Interesting that a single post in moderation hides the entire thread. Seems counterintuitive to me.
Interesting that a single post in moderation hides the entire thread. Seems counterintuitive to me.

InSided has had a history of counterintuitive updates to the forum software, lol. It's a lot better than it was, but there are several other companies with far better forum software, to put it kindly.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi mwiseman,

While I don't have a timeline update to share right now, we're still working to bring Audible back. The main thread had a new post that triggered our spam filter, hiding the entire thread. We've since fixed that and the thread is active again.

I recall reading a thread that said we'd have audible back in the summer, can we depend on summer? (The unofficial end of summer is Labor Day because this is when most kids go back to school. But the official end of summer is the Autumnal Equinox, which falls on September 23.)

Also, are both sides still committed? Amazon just announced multi-room audio with echo....
This is why Sonos should not be giving even general dates. An expectation has been set, and there are a multitude of potential reasons why it might or might not be met, that were unknown at the time of setting that expectation.
Userlevel 1

To be fair that thread did spend a day or so in our spam filter.

Thank you for this update Jeff
I also want to listen to Audible through Sonos. I hope this is available soon.
Me three. Perhaps we should take this to Amazon/Audible instead of here as it’s them that chaged how things used to work in the backend.