Answered

Computer memory full

• 24 December 2017
  • 5 replies

The memory on my mac book pro is full, mainly of music , is there a device on to which I can transfer my music and play through my sonos system which will free up the computer memory?
icon

Best answer by Hornet305 24 December 2017, 16:37

The NAS will connect to your network and you can use it for music and storing any other files that you want to keep and don't need frequent access to. It will also let you access the files from multiple devices. Note that some NAS's are sold bare (no Hard drive installed) so verify that you are getting one with the storage (and buy double the capacity you think you need). You can get an external HDD for your Mac and put the music on that, but then the Mac needs to be running for you to access the music. With the NAS the Mac can be off and you can control Sonos using the app for your phone.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Yes. It is called an NAS drive. You can pick one up from Western Digital for a little over $100.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yep. Great to have to offload and backup files and very inexpensive these days.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The NAS will connect to your network and you can use it for music and storing any other files that you want to keep and don't need frequent access to. It will also let you access the files from multiple devices. Note that some NAS's are sold bare (no Hard drive installed) so verify that you are getting one with the storage (and buy double the capacity you think you need). You can get an external HDD for your Mac and put the music on that, but then the Mac needs to be running for you to access the music. With the NAS the Mac can be off and you can control Sonos using the app for your phone.
Thank you very much for your very helpful advice, a trip the the store after christmas seems on the cards.. Thanks all
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Consider also qnap and synology as nas brands.