Computer as Sonos Audio Source

• 19 September 2012
  • 527 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

527 replies

Userlevel 2
Another customer lost then ... well done Sonos
Userlevel 2
I was about to pull the trigger on a Sonos system until I double checked this functionality and found this discussion.

Even with the connect, running a long RCA cable is just not a good solution when I'm using my laptop on the couch. Wanted bigger sound than my ultimate ears (which are great for travel, outdoor, etc..) bluetooth speakers, I guess this is not the solution.

That will be another customer lost then Sonos How many's that is this thread alone.
Userlevel 2
Stream all the music on earth??? False advertising for sure.

What is the problem with implementing 

Marc - the cable to one of my Play:5s is hardly a wireless system - FAIL don't you think?
Stream all the music on earth??? False advertising for sure.

What is the problem with implementing 

what is the point of having a WIRELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! system if you have to connect a WIRE  to the speaker?
In all honesty, I LOVE the Sonos speaker, they sound great, especially considering their size. But if this isn't implemented in the near future then I'll sell them and get a Canton, Teufel  or similar system, wich all do exactly what we are asking for here...
You know, the price is high enough and the inconvenience great enough that I'm seriously tempted to break open my brand new Connect to see just what kind of incredibly high-end hardware must be inside to justify the $399 price I paid. It's basically just a network switch with an DA/AD converter and output ports right? It is firmware upgradeable, so I'd be surprised if it can't be flashed with some CFW to enable the features we want. Anyone interested?
I'm generally satisfied of the SONOS system, but I can't really understand why a feature that is similarly implemented inside the "connect" can't be replicated cheaply on a BRIDGE or totally free via software.
I'm generally satisfied of the SONOS system, but I can't really understand why a feature that is similarly implemented inside the "connect" can't be replicated cheaply on a BRIDGE or totally free via software.
Userlevel 2
The fail is I cannot do this wirelessly with just a Bridge and any Sonos device (Play 1 or Play 3).  It seems like a simple request that I be able to play my computer, or really any device with wifi, through any Sonos speaker WIRELESSLY.  Other than some potential latency/delay, how is this any different than me plugging in my device to any other speaker?  Come on Sonos, please make this work!

Yep, FAIL as you say. I can only get BBC iPlayer (here in the UK) by plugging a lead into one of my Play:5s it drives me mad that I'm £1.5k into a system that can't play me radio on demand from a major player like BBC.
Userlevel 2
For God's sake Sonos! You even acknowledge the thread because it is so "hot" but still don't acknowledge the question! I have a pair of old Logitech 2.1 computer speakers that I bought on sale at Best Buy about 5 years ago. Paid $19.99 if memory serves, and they sound better than my brand new Play5 (also bought a Connect and Play3 and a bridge (was free through Amazon)). My laptop speakers suck, so I had been plugging my laptop into the Logitech speakers while in the kitchen cooking, doing dishes, etc. I also like to have movies playing in the background while doing those tasks. So, please tell me - if I have to plug in my laptop to the play5 to have the audio play from movies and whatnot, what the hell is the point in having the very, very, VERY much more expensive Sonos equipment? I can just as easily plug into the cheapie Logitech speakers and have better sound while listening to whatever source I want!!!
It does seem odd that a company can be set up a forum to pretty much ignore everything that is suggested or raised by its customers. I've not encountered this before - is this something to do with the business model I keep reading about (LOL)
This may have already been suggested... I just use the 'receiver' unit from a set of Bluetooth headphones with a 3.5mm to L/R analog lead plugged in to the Bridge. Pair the Mac to the headphone unit & bingo! whatever is on my Mac plays through the Sonos.

Note: I've not used this to try to play video so don't know if there is a delay...
Userlevel 2
Hello Nick,

it would be nice if it would be possible to buy a 50 Euro Bridge and a cheap Bluetooth Receiver. But to my knowledge a Bridge has no 3.5mm input. Only Sonos Connect has which costs 350 Euro which is a bit pricy just to add this feature.
This may have already been suggested... I just use the 'receiver' unit from a set of Bluetooth headphones with a 3.5mm to L/R analog lead plugged in to the Bridge. Pair the Mac to the headphone unit &
Apologies - I meant Connect not Bridge!
Hello Nick,

it would be nice if it would be possible to buy a 50 Euro Bridge and a cheap Bluetooth Receiver. But to my knowledge a Bridge has no 3.5mm input. Only Sonos Connect has which costs 350 Euro which is a bit pricy just to add this feature.

If you have a Bridge wired in to your stereo equipment & that has a Line In option you could achieve the same result I guess? just select 'Line In' or 'Aux' on the stereo or whatever corresponds to where the bluetooth receiver has been plugged in...
Hello Nick,

Would have been nice but the bridge has no AUX-IN. It was also my proposal of the worst case, but streaming is for sure the best option.
Userlevel 2
Hello Nick,

Nick: If you have a Bridge wired in to your stereo equipment......

A Bridge has LAN Ports only. If you are talking about connecting a similar looking box to your stereo equipment you are talking about the sonos connect.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This may have already been suggested... I just use the 'receiver' unit from a set of Bluetooth headphones with a 3.5mm to L/R analog lead plugged in to the Bridge. Pair the Mac to the headphone unit &
It would be great if Sonos upgraded their Bridge to have an audio in, it shouldn't cost that much to add an ADC to the device, and it wouldn't break their business model. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I hadn't already addressed this issue by adding an Airport Express to my Connect. I'm not going to count on Sonos doing anything that addresses this connectivity issue, they have made a decision to ignore this customer feedback.

BTW, you will definitely have a delay when playing video. I think this is the primary reason Sonos hasn't addressed this connectivity issue as the delay is frustrating. 
Hi
Don't know if my solution for Mac users has already been given but anyway, here it is: discard it if you knew already!
I have a airport express which I pluged onto the Sonos AMP via a jack/cinch adapter cable.
Then I use the Airfoil software to steam any source of sound from my mac and sent it to the airport.
It's a wicked solution and I'd have better the Sonos software manage it natively but....
I demand Bluetooth style wireless streaming capabilities or the entire system is going back. $1000+ later and I have less functionality than cheap little portable speakers. It's a complete shame, fully correctable, and needs to be corrected immediately. Sonos should be all over this.
Completely agree with this post. After recently purchasing the Sonos playbar, and four additional speakers, I am going to be returning the entire system due to both the lack of this functionality originally, but more so the lack of response to what is so clearly a repeated customer ask. Disappointing to not receive a more thorough explanation of why this relatively easy technical challenge has not been met.
This thread is getting a bit off-topic and some of the recent comments are overly confrontational and downright hostile. 

Please, we appreciate your passion for this request to have Sonos play music from a computer, but keep it on topic and refrain from attacking other users.  

http://www.sonos.com/airplay/
Thanks John M for trying to rein this in, and clarifying the purpose of the thread - " to have Sonos play music from a computer".

My opinion is it doesn't have to be wireless, even over ethernet to the bridge would work great for me. Is there a way to create a stream from MacOS that would act like a network-local radio station to Sonos? I just want to access audio sources that aren't directly available from inside the Sonos controllers. 

http://www.sonos.com/airplay/

Earlier discussions on sonos forum from circa 2011
http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=21731 http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php?p=129660&postcount=11

Method of playing any audio source on Mac/Win to an Airplay enabled device.

http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
Pleaaaseeeee implement this, i really want to be able to listen to things im Streaming on my ipad through sonos, this would be amazing, i cannot think of 1 idea posted on ask.sonos.com that i want more than this.
I watch video/film - watch again service and use sonos as an airplay source without delay or lag.
I do have a 100/100Mb fibre connection though.
Badge
Me too. =-)
I don't understand Sonos' reluctancy to develop, or communicate about, a streaming option for pc or mac sources. But it's bugging me for a while now and I'm using this forum hoping to get a reply for Sonos directly. 

Could you please update us of any developments re streaming to Sonos from PC or Mac?

I'm not interested in workarounds (Play:time is over) or cable based solutions (I went wireless for a reason). You've added a great deal of functionality to our music and media experience but this is really dissatisfying.

Sonos is in many aspects a mature and high quality product and I don't mind paying  serious money for that. But being a customer 2.0 I also appreciate a serious answer, as many people before me still do.

Thank you!
I've adjusted the wording in the title to reflect what the original poster is requesting - a way for Sonos to use a computer's audio a line-in source.
I also agree this feature would be extremely useful. Simply set up Sonos as an audio device on the native OS. In Linux/Unix/OSX this would be extremely easy. Not so sure about windows but I am sure it is possible. Would be a great feature add. People still use computers!!!
I would very much like to be able to listen to whatever audio i have on my android tablet in the Sonos system. Like watching youtube, or listening to some audiobook..
I really loves my Sonos system, but i think this should be possible. This is a serious lack imho.

Best regards,

Tommy