Computer as Sonos Audio Source

• 19 September 2012
  • 527 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

527 replies

Hi All,

Wouldnt you just buy a 3.5mm jack to a 3.5mm jack and plug it from the computer or laptop output socket into the Play 5? Play 5 has a line-in socket..

I'm thinking about getting the play 5 for my computer room, so i want to ensure this will work.. seems pretty basic request really.. has anyone tried this approach and as the previous poster quoted below mentions should be all you need to do?

"Any devices with audio line outs (I.e. TV, amp, computer) can be plugged into the audio line in of a Play 5 or Connect. The line in source can be selected in the SONOS app and be streamed to "
I think i will take my new MBpro into jb hi fi with a 3.5 to 3.5 cable and give this a whirl pre-purchase.. hold tight!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Yes, you can do this if your Play5 happens to be near your PC and if you dont mind using cables. The advantage of using StreamWhatYouHear (or some similar system that Sonos should introduce themselves) is that you dont need cables and your Sonos equipment doesnt need to be near your PC. Also you get the clean digital signal and not one that has been converted to analogue and back to digital again.
yes fair point, it would be nice to position the speaker unit at the rear of my room, though you could get a fairly cheap device that could stream this to the speaker with line-in i would have thought.. seriously what alternatives are there.. bose is not really on feature parity.. will investigate..
I want to add my voice to this request.

To me, this is the missing piece to this otherwise awesome setup. I love the complete integration of all my devices - phone, tablet, laptop, desktop all able to remote control... Perhaps if allowing output directly to the Sonos speakers from any old app is not possible the Sonos controller should have move playback functionality built in? But I'd much rather the former since there are many more things I'd appreciate having audio from than just movies. How about games? Audio editing (garageband, audacity) Movie editing. Etc etc.

So I can buy another piece of hardware from Sonos to enable me to plug a wire in to give me this functionality. To me this is missing the point - loosing the wireless freedom that was the point in the beginning.
I want to add my voice to this request.

To me, this is the missing piece to this otherwise awesome setup. I love the complete integration of all my devices - phone, tablet, laptop, desktop all able to remote control... Perhaps if allowing output directly to the Sonos speakers from any old app is not possible the Sonos controller should have move playback functionality built in? But I'd much rather the former since there are many more things I'd appreciate having audio from than just movies. How about games? Audio editing (garageband, audacity) Movie editing. Etc etc.

So I can buy another piece of hardware from Sonos to enable me to plug a wire in to give me this functionality. To me this is missing the point - loosing the wireless freedom that was the point in the beginning.

One quick fix for mac users would of course be to directly support Airplay.
You have my +1 on this, it is the missing link as far as I am concerned.

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=18009 is an interesting thread where people are getting this idea "working" by streaming audio from their PC and connecting to via Sonos.

I've also read a number of reviews where people outright say "DON'T get this system" - looks great, sounds great, lacks this one vital function.

If Bose can do it, why not Sonos :)

I plan to implement the streaming audio idea above but lets face it it is somewhat too technical for many people and is a workaround at best.

If Sonos were to build in this functionality then the audio lag could be taken care of a) internally, if the movie player were the Sonos controller software b) natively, by Airplay if this was built in c) by a plugin for VLC or some other software I suppose. There may be no way to sync audio/video while watching youtube - and there might always be a delay between hitting play in Garageband / Sibelius or whatever before the sound came out of the Sonos, but this would be something I could live with.

thanks for listening!
Just bought a couple of Play:3 and a BRIDGE. When I came back home I realized there is no aux input on none of those devices. The alternative is spend 349€ for a connect, or 399€ for a Play:5. The first are trashed money because I really don't need it; the second is really too big (but also expensive) to put near a PC. I'm really wondering why is not possible to add such a simple feature on the BRIDGE. Is possible to have an answer to this? Note: I took the SONOS instead of the Bose SoundTouch 20, I have 30 days to evaluate if it was the right choice.
Just bought a couple of Play:3 and a BRIDGE. When I came back home I realized there is no aux input on none of those devices. The alternative is spend 349€ for a connect, or 399€ for a Play:5. The first are trashed money because I really don't need it; the second is really too big (but also expensive) to put near a PC.
The best would be to stream directly from PC control software, but I'm really wondering why is not possible to add such a simple feature on the BRIDGE (I mean the AUX input)
Is possible to have an answer to this?

Note: I took the SONOS instead of the Bose SoundTouch 20, I have 30 days to evaluate if it was the right choice.
Stream all the music on earth??? False advertising for sure.

What is the problem with implementing 

Marc, are you jocking or what?
Please,
this is yet another thread that shows that people want this feature, and it´s not hurting your concept of us controling our Sonos products in any way.
It enhaces the features. it would make Sonos a TRUE wireless system for all the audio we want to lsiten to, not only radio stations, also music we find on youtube, soundcloud, mixcloud and all these other services.

it would make Sonos the ultimate wireless audio system.

Please, please implement this into the controler apps for Win and Mac... 
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Ben,

To further elaborate on this, if you're watching a movie on your computer, laptop or iPad, SONOS should be selectable as audio output, so you can enjoy this on any of the systems you have in your home.
Hi Ben,

To further elaborate on this, if you're watching a movie on your computer, laptop or iPad, SONOS should be selectable as audio output, so you can enjoy this on any of the systems you have in your home.

How exactly is that possible?

I don´t see it listed as a source...
Pleaaaseeeee implement this, i really want to be able to listen to things im Streaming on my ipad through sonos, this would be amazing, i cannot think of 1 idea posted on ask.sonos.com that i want more than this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Pleaaaseeeee implement this, i really want to be able to listen to things im Streaming on my ipad through sonos, this would be amazing, i cannot think of 1 idea posted on ask.sonos.com that i want more than this.
SONOS technology will not support streaming audio simultaneously with video, this is probably the main reason they haven't provided a solution for audio only, because everyone watching video on their phone or tablet would be VERY disappointed at the sound arriving a loooong time after the lips move.
It could be possible the same way iTunes does it with Airplay - by timing / synchronizing the audio with the video. To do this the sonos controller would need to be able to play videos so it could delay the video by the same amount the audio was delayed - which is clearly know as the multiple speakers stay in sync.
I would think that Apple TV would be the best candidate for this issue? then the video and sound could come through the tv/sonos attached to the tv?
It would be great to have this feature at least on PCs and MACs wired by cable to the network, this should guarantee a fast ping on the ethernet to support synchronization with PC audio.
It would be great to have this feature at least on PCs and MACs wired by cable to the network, this should guarantee a fast ping on the ethernet to support synchronization with PC audio.
I contacted Sonos help to ask them why my Connect is invisible to my mac which are both plugged into the same gigabit Ethernet network. I can see and link to the other computers in my house on the network, but can't see the Connect.

It would be highly inconvenient to have to plug my laptop into the line-in RCA ports at the back of the connect to play what I am playing on the laptop. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of Sonos being something that can be tucked away in a a/v cupboard.

Would love to be able to use the mac as a portal for playing spotify radio through the Ethernet network as a virtual line-in without plugging it in to the connect. Of course could, I think, get an airport express and plug that into the RCA ports in the connect, but the sound quality (I am told) suffers hugely when you try to stream this way rather than straight down the Ethernet cable

Any way, long story short, Sonos simply directed me to this forum when I asked if they had plans to make this a workable function. Not much of a reply. So get the impression they can't do this. Beginning to think Sonos is pretty basic product - I mean it runs at serious temperature and burns 4 watts at idle. Hardly cutting edge stuff. Was planning to do the whole house with Sonos stuff but just not the all in one solution I was hoping for.

There must be better out there. Any ideas anyone?
I contacted Sonos help to ask them why my Connect is invisible to my mac which are both plugged into the same gigabit Ethernet network. I can see and link to the other computers in my house on the network, but can't see the Connect.

It would be highly inconvenient to have to plug my laptop into the line-in RCA ports at the back of the connect to play what I am playing on the laptop. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of Sonos being something that can be tucked away in a a/v cupboard.

Would love to be able to use the mac as a portal for playing spotify radio through the Ethernet network as a virtual line-in without plugging it in to the connect. Of course could, I think, get an airport express and plug that into the RCA ports in the connect, but the sound quality (I am told) suffers hugely when you try to stream this way rather than straight down the Ethernet cable

Any way, long story short, Sonos simply directed me to this forum when I asked if they had plans to make this a workable function. Not much of a reply. So get the impression they can't do this. Beginning to think Sonos is pretty basic product - I mean it runs at serious temperature and burns 4 watts at idle. Hardly cutting edge stuff. Was planning to do the whole house with Sonos stuff but just not the all in one solution I was hoping for.

There must be better out there. Any ideas anyone?

I don't bitch too much since I have my HTPC tied into my 60" so movies and music from the PC just play in the normal TV mode and I can Cast things from my Surface to the TV and get the same effect. Its more of an annoyance at this point and just a matter of principal. We aren't doing a moon landing here. Just say its not going to happen or show some results. Its been almost 3 years.
Userlevel 2
Exactly
Userlevel 2
Sonos doesn't seem to know how to communicate with its customers.
Yes, it seems to have a real problem with understanding that not talking back is a VERY poor way to make people happy about the product.
Userlevel 2
Just bought a complete Sonos system based on the rep saying that i can stream anything from the computer to the sonos system. Couldn't find how to make the computer an input in the configuration system and now finding this post. Very frustrating, returning the entire system > $2200......
Another happy customer then ...