Computer as Sonos Audio Source

Show first post

535 replies

The line-in input on the Connect has a 75 ms delay necessary for buffering input for multi-room streaming. Whether you notice it or not depends on your semsitivity, but the latency is there. Sonos doesn't listen to the wishes of its customers on this particular issue because they know what they need to do to be profitable. You might just as well ask why doesn't Sonos listen to the wishes of their customers and give their speakers away for free?
Badge
It's a shame sonos haven't come up with a solution for this plus also offered high bit rate, i wanted to stick with them but enough is enough, it's all now on eBay and I'm moving to NAD/BluOS/bluesound. Soz guys
DaveTinNY wrote:

jgatie wrote:

orionisdj wrote:

I am stunned to verify that this is the most sought after question since many years... 468 replies and no solution

There is no "solution" because there is no problem. Sonos was not, is not, nor ever will be a computer speaker. It's like asking why Ferrari has never found a "solution" to the fact you cannot drive them off-road. Anybody who buys a Ferrari thinking they bought an off-road vehicle bought the wrong product. Go buy a Jeep.

Sad to hear. Happier with a Jeep than a Ferrari... Better gas mileage and more fun at normal speeds. :P

GMann wrote:

DaveTinNY wrote:

jgatie wrote:

orionisdj wrote:

I am stunned to verify that this is the most sought after question since many years... 468 replies and no solution

There is no "solution" because there is no problem. Sonos was not, is not, nor ever will be a computer speaker. It's like asking why Ferrari has never found a "solution" to the fact you cannot drive them off-road. Anybody who buys a Ferrari thinking they bought an off-road vehicle bought the wrong product. Go buy a Jeep.

Sad to hear. Happier with a Jeep than a Ferrari... Better gas mileage and more fun at normal speeds. :P

da

If you cannot use the car (speaker) on roads designed for fast lanes, then you can't drive this thing at all. within hours of purchasing and using the Sonos 5, i am now returning it to the store. and will purchase a high end speaker i can drive with ALL of my high end toys.
"Sonos doesn't listen to the wishes of its customers on this particular issue because they know what they need to do to be profitable. You might just as well ask why doesn't Sonos listen to the wishes of their customers and give their speakers away for free?"

"There is no "solution" because there is no problem. Sonos was not, is not, nor ever will be a computer speaker. It's like asking why Ferrari has never found a "solution" to the fact you cannot drive them off-road. Anybody who buys a Ferrari thinking they bought an off-road vehicle bought the wrong product. Go buy a Jeep."

Many customers would like to see Sonos add this kind of capability to add a computer as a source. I notice on every thread (and there are many) where people ask Sonos about this, there are a couple of people that reply with snarky comments like the above "why don't you ask them to give their speakers away for free", and "you bought the wrong product". Not sure why these people feel so threatened by these requests. Or maybe they are just trolls. In any case, they aren't very nice.
Not threatened, just using common sense . Sometimes you need to utilize simple analogies to get across a point which most of us think is obvious.

And yet there are those who don't even accept the simple analogies, and instead attack the messenger.
"just using common sense"... thus implying that the people who want this feature don't have any.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I think I can speak for most of the community when I say let's not go throwing the troll word around. Let's take a moment to breathe here, disagreeing is ok, but let's not get into needless fights.
Userlevel 3
Badge +10
Hi Jaynlisa,

I think I understand the view you are expressing. And there are times when some of the most frequent forum users can be somewhat abrupt in their response. This does occur, in part, because the response is in answer to questions that have been seen again and again.

So I get that they may seem "not very nice". In fact I've seen some that I might agree we're less than polite.

That said.

I'd suggest that Sonos is likely not really ignoring their customers, or potential customers. The methods employed to enable the whole home synchronization of audio across the Sonos devices makes it so that the 0 delay response needed for use as a computer speaker becomes a challenge. You either can't allow the device acting as a 'computer speaker' connected to a computer to try to sync with the other Sonos products (since their *must* be a buffer provided to enable to data transfer and sorting or data packets to stream and play in sync) or you'd need to find some other workaround to make it clear when it can and can't be employed in this manner, etc. Whatever they tried it would appear the solution presented would like be very problematic.

Add to that the competitiveness of the computer speaker space and I just don't see it as a practical thing for them to do.

Despite the fact that I would, or course, love to hitch up one of my Play 5s to my computer as a computer speaker (which I can do with a cable, but there is a lag time) , I don't see it ever happening.

Hope that helps explain that it is, in large part, because of what Sonos does do so very well what makes it that this isn't an obvious or simple implementation for them to do.
I think there is a conversation going on that is two pronged. First, it is inaccurate to say that Sonos is not a computer speaker system. In a pure sense, that is exactly what Sonos is. It takes digital information from a server located somewhere, converts it to analog, and drives a speaker. That takes a computer. The question is, "From which computer is the digital information derived?" Multiple of us, it seems would like for the source to be our personal computers, on occasion. I believe that there is a dialogue here that focuses to an extent on gaming and its relationship to the Sonos system. I have read the reasoning for the 75 msec delay, which makes sense to me. However, that isn't the use that I have for wanting my computer to engage more directly with the Sonos system. Here is an example: yesterday I was watching and listening to the World Pipe Band Championship Finals while I worked. I would have loved to get the sound from my computer, so that the audio portion of the streaming broadcast was played through my Sonos system. It would have been great for my MacBook Pro to be the source of the audio for the Sonos system. A/V synchrony would be hardly a problem with that small delay, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, because the picture of marching pipers and drummers was out of synch with sound, already, due to delays in the sound reaching the microphone on the Glasgow Green. A simple mechanism for making one's personal computer sound card the audio source would be very welcomed. Tried a work around that I found on the web, with a software that generates an internet radio signal that can be added as a service to Sonos, but it was not available for Mac OS. A lot of people have stored a lot of music on their PCs, or on home servers. I think that they all deserve a simple mechanism for accessing that stored music via their Sonos networks.
You can very easily play music stored on your PC or home servers:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261

You just can't play audio on your PC/Mac and have the audio wirelessly transmitted to Sonos. If that is your wish, buy a Sonos device with a line-in or buy another product; like actual computer speakers.
Devoted User wrote:

. A simple mechanism for making one's personal computer sound card the audio source would be very welcomed. Tried a work around that I found on the web, with a software that generates an internet radio signal that can be added as a service to Sonos, but it was not available for Mac OS.

Make a Google search for 'SonoAir', which might be exactly what you are looking for.
That's exactly what I'm after. I'm at work right now, but will definitely be trying this tonight at home. Thanks!
jgatie, you are too funny! You are stuck on this "actual computer speakers" thing. I have an iMac desktop with "actual" computer speakers. That does me no good if I desire to make myself a peanut butter sandwich in the kitchen, instead of my home office. Or when I prefer to curl up on the couch with my MacBook and would like my living room speakers to supply the sound. And besides, my "actual computer speakers" are not what you are thinking of, but are powered audiophile-grade mono blocks. I like my music too much to entrust it to "actual" computer speakers! And I have Sonos, so that I don't have to be physically connected. Cheers! Enjoy your actual computer speakers!
Devoted User wrote:

jgatie, you are too funny! You are stuck on this "actual computer speakers" thing. I have an iMac desktop with "actual" computer speakers. That does me no good if I desire to make myself a peanut butter sandwich in the kitchen, instead of my home office. Or when I prefer to curl up on the couch with my MacBook and would like my living room speakers to supply the sound. And besides, my "actual computer speakers" are not what you are thinking of, but are powered audiophile-grade mono blocks. I like my music too much to entrust it to "actual" computer speakers! And I have Sonos, so that I don't have to be physically connected. Cheers! Enjoy your actual computer speakers!

I've long ago abandoned using my computer as a music source. It's why I bought Sonos in the first place. Perhaps you too should have bought Sonos for what it actually does, instead of what you wished it would do. You would probably be a lot happier.
I still think you are too funny! Notice my user name? I'm very happy with Sonos. And if you've given up on your computer as a music source, then you don't travel much. Don't be so sour. Life is too short. And don't make Sonos fit inside your box. It has a lot more potential than you give it credit for.
Devoted User wrote:

I still think you are too funny! Notice my user name? I'm very happy with Sonos. And if you've given up on your computer as a music source, then you don't travel much. Don't be so sour. Life is too short. And don't make Sonos fit inside your box. It has a lot more potential than you give it credit for.

Travel all the time. Leaving for Orlando on Saturday, got back from Vegas 2 months ago, have another trip planned in Nov. I have a phone and a tablet for mobile music/video sources. Why would I lug around a heavy laptop for music if I didn't need to?

As for "fitting Sonos in my box", I bought Sonos for what it did almost 10 years ago. I never expected more, thus any improvements are gravy. It changed my music habits then, and one of the ways it changed them was to free me from using a computer in a single place; instead I have music all over my home. This is a liberating paradigm you seem to have not grasped, and instead are clinging to the old concept of using a computer as a source.

So who exactly is trying to fit Sonos into whose box?

Note: I could not care less what you grasp and/or how you use your Sonos, but your offhand digs at me certainly deserve a return in kind, especially to point out the hypocrisy in your claims (not to mention your completely incorrect assumptions as to my travel schedule).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well... thanks for telling me how I should feel and what Sonos is TRULY about. Good thing you're out there.
Devoted User wrote:

Well... thanks for telling me how I should feel and what Sonos is TRULY about. Good thing you're out there.

Thanks for telling me how much I travel and which box my Sonos is in.

PS - If that is what you got from my message, I guess you didn't read the note at the end.
As someone who is considering purchasing Sonos I have come to learn through this thread that it is not a PC speaker, i.e. I cannot play music from my PC through Sonos unless I use something like streamwhatyouhear. Is that correct or have I missunderstood?

The Sonos website says that I can 'Play music from every PC, Mac, and storage drive on your home network. Up to 16 sources. And all those songs on your smartphone, too. Choose “On this phone” in the Main Menu and listen to your heart’s content.'

I understand that Sonos is not a music player so to achieve what Sonos say on their website what software application is it on my PC, Mac or Smartphone that actually plays that music so I can hear it out of a Play:1?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Marm1te wrote:

As someone who is considering purchasing Sonos I have come to learn through this thread that it is not a PC speaker, i.e. I cannot play music from my PC through Sonos unless I use something like streamwhatyouhear. Is that correct or have I missunderstood?

The Sonos website says that I can 'Play music from every PC, Mac, and storage drive on your home network. Up to 16 sources. And all those songs on your smartphone, too. Choose “On this phone” in the Main Menu and listen to your heart’s content.'

I understand that Sonos is not a music player so to achieve what Sonos say on their website what software application is it on my PC, Mac or Smartphone that actually plays that music so I can hear it out of a Play:1?

Sonos will play ALL the MUSIC files that are ON your PC (assuming they are in a supported format of which there are many).
Sonos will NOT play system sounds and music going through the PC speakers.

In other words the Sonos website is absolutely correct.
Marm1te wrote:

The Sonos app on your phone/tablet/PC/Mac will allow you to index and play any music stored in a shared directory on a PC, Mac or NAS device, up to 16 shares total. This local library will show up in your music menu as "My Music Library". In addition, files store on each individual phone/tablet will show up in the app under the music menu on that device only as "This iPhone", "This iPad", "This mobile device", etc.
It makes sense that Sonos will not play system sounds and music going through the PC speakers. However, the question I asked is what application actually plays the music files? If I have say an mp3 file on my PC is it the Sonos app that reads and plays the file?
Marm1te wrote:

It makes sense that Sonos will not play system sounds and music going through the PC speakers. However, the question I asked is what application actually plays the music files? If I have say an mp3 file on my PC is it the Sonos app that reads and plays the file?

A little more complicated than that. The Sonos app is a controller, not a player. It tells the Sonos devices what to play and where to play it from. Then the Sonos device fetches the music files from the source and plays them. The app does not stream anything, you could turn your phone/tablet/computer completely off and the Sonos devices will keep playing (as long as the source is not on the phone/tablet/computer).

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings