Computer as Sonos Audio Source

• 19 September 2012
  • 527 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

527 replies

Well I want to stream my Netflix from a USB PC Stick going into my telly, out through my Sonos amp. Computer speakers are the answer in this case. Is there some way I can connect to the sonos desktop application so that That PC can stream its audio to the Sonos Connect:AMP so I can make use of my home theatre speakers?
Not interested in petty squabble, just looking to solve a configuration constraint as a USB PC has no audio output (nor does the telly FYI).
If you have the Sonos connect amp you can connect your telly via the audio RCA in puts if your telly has that out put.
If you have the Sonos connect amp you can connect your telly via the audio RCA in puts if your telly has that out put.
...no audio output (nor does the telly FYI).
Do you ever read the questions before you try to answer them? 😉
What is the exact model of sonos and telly please
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
...no audio output (nor does the telly FYI).
Do you ever read the questions before you try to answer them? ;-)

If the TV has no audio out does the OP think magic may help?
ok, I see there are years of dialog on this subject, but I have a problem that seems to force me to use a computer as the source of my sound. That is when the radio station I listen to most does not exist in the list, and the streaming link isn't compatible with sonos. So I thought I could perhaps use a junk computer to do nothing but play that station...connected by what is possible. That said however, I don't have any play3 or 5's, and quite frankly this cool setup seems to fall short in this area. I'm thinking of trying more radios for the kitchen, but it was due to poor reception that I bought sonos in the first place.

Any ideas on how to get this done, short of buying a $75 radio, and certainly not shelling out $400-500 to simply get a hard wired input into sonos. lucky for sonos I needed the good sound out of a thinner playbar in a inset wall installation or I know I would just take this back. That said, I was going to get some play1's for other areas of the house...not necessary as far as I can tell.

Kurt
seems like simple for some one- SONOS, APPLE some one who makes crazy money on consumers to figure a simple work around app for this, I cannot believe the flipping price for someone to control your music venue....seriously piss on all the paid services they're fun (until they are not) ever hear of mixer.com live music is where it's at!!!!! really 3 years of posts and nothing, can't care how good it sounds if someone has any say in how I listen to anything
I mistakenly just acquired a play1. With no native audio from the mac ITS GOING BACK. It's basically a joke that after 3 years this is not solved. Basic use case - I want to stream gaming output or BBC radio stations and have them come out on my speaker! Seriously guys, not rocket science...

More fool on me for not checking this worked before hand - good job I'm in the US and... it JUST GETS RETURNED no questions asked.

Bye bye Sonos - hello bluetooth device at half the price!
DJR,

I'm truly sorry that you didn't take the time to do some research before acquiring your Play:1. Sonos is rather clear about the fact that they're not a computer speaker, but a multi-room music system. And to be honest, I use my old Play:5 Gen 1 to function as a computer speaker for my Mac, by the simple process of attaching a mini-plug to the headphone jack on my Mac, and then inserting the other end into the Play:5, I purchased the Play:5 for exactly this purpose, to be used as a method by which I could stream all audio from my Mac to the Sonos system. You're hampered by the fact that the Play:1 has no input, being their bottom of the line speaker. But I can assure you, the system, when used for its intended and advertised use, is outstanding. I use my Play:1s and Play:3s all the time to stream music from my iTunes library, without bothering to go through the headphone jack, and the sound is spectacular, and spans the many rooms in my house without problems with synchronization or audio dropout caused by Bluetooth or Airplay issues.

But I did have to ramp up on how the system worked before I was fully aware of how it functioned, and you didn't have that opportunity. I'm sorry it doesn't meet your needs.

If you happen to be returning it to a Best Buy here in the SF bay area, please post to let me know which one, I wouldn't mind another (16th? 17th?) to put into my garage, and getting an open box special tends to be my usual method of purchasing. I've got about 5 years of ownership under my belt, and I'm quite pleased with the system and the way it was designed and works.
Do you still work for Sonos?
getting an open box special tends to be my usual method of purchasing.
I suppose that is how all returns are dealt with? What would be the price reduction that usually applies for such cases? Any warranty dilution?
DJR,

I have never worked for Sonos. I'm in software, but in gaming, not audio.

Kumar,

Generally speaking, yes. They put them back out, most often at a 10% discount if it's basically just an opened box, sometimes more if it is scratched or in some other way damaged. 10% off is certainly better than nothing, and they still have the full warranty. This is, as far as I am aware, a unique situation with Best Buy, I'm not aware of any other retailers that do something similar. But then Best Buy is a fairly large chain of stores here in the US, so their policies are across a wide swath of items. If they had tighter focus (like just audio equipment), they might not be able to do that, but since they have everything from dishwashers, refrigerators to software, music and computers, I suspect they're pushed into a position of a wider policy for return and resale. But that's just a guess on my part, I've never done retail.
450+ replies.

1. Sonos will not support ANY native sound output from a computer, even while running a Sonos control application on that computer
2. Sonos does not support Airplay.
3. Sonos is belligerent and does not appreciate your feedback.
4. Sonos will not listen to you.
5. Sonos will tell you what you want.
6. Sonos will tell you what you know.

Sonos is for consumers. Consumers vote with their money. Do not give your money to Sonos. That is your only feedback.

Denon Heos is coming along nicely, there will be others. I promise you there will be others. In the meantime you were ahead of all of this when you plugged your PC/MAC into a receiver with your 'tv tuner' cards 20 years ago. S-Video 15 years ago, HDMI ten years ago... We will continue to drive the edge and the sonoses will be right behind us trying to capitalize on our innovation. Sonos is BEHIND us. Not out front leading anything. That is why they are not listening, they have no vision at all. Go buy computer speakers. I laughed for an entire minute.

Thanks!
DJR,

I'm truly sorry that you didn't take the time to do some research before acquiring your Play:1. Sonos is rather clear about the fact that they're not a computer speaker, but a multi-room music system. And to be honest, I use my old Play:5 Gen 1 to function as a computer speaker for my Mac, by the simple process of blah blah I'm such a savant.

Pandering to get it at a best buy after he returns it! Ha! Gaming? Hmmm. GamER, with the discretionary income for a 16th not 17th speaker. A speaker dude. 17 of them. I love this stuff.

Well... I was ready to drop 2-5K... No Mac Output and no xbox... Really this is just not ready for a connected house. if theres speakers in all rooms WTF are they for? Only an App? Wait you're kidding right?

Dennon has the HEOS wireless (WiFi) speakers and they have Receivers for your Xbox, Mac, airplay, VCR, rio, ipod, AUX, bluetooth, gramophone etc.
All the new Dennon stuff has HEOS built into the receivers. I got the cake, Sonos had their shot.

Glad I did "some research".
I, too, am pleased that you did your research.

And no, I'm not a "gamer" per se, although I've been working on video games for 20+ years. And that includes plenty of hours of research gaming, in addition to just gaming for pleasure.

I hope that this other system matches your needs. There's nothing more satisfying than having something that does exactly what you need it to do. For me, that's a Sonos system. But obviously not for you. And that's fine, there's room in this world for more than one point of view.

I wish you the best of luck.
If you did your research, what the H-E-Double Sherwoods are you doing here? Go play with your Denon!

Generally speaking, yes. They put them back out, most often at a 10% discount if it's basically just an opened box, sometimes more if it is scratched or in some other way damaged. 10% off is certainly better than nothing, and they still have the full warranty. This is, as far as I am aware, a unique situation with Best Buy.

Sonos has a well publicised returns policy, so something like this must be widespread to support it. Good way to save some money - although there are no free lunches in the world, so overall the pricing of the product has to be higher to support this cost to Sonos.
Thank you for the information.
If you did your research, what the H-E-Double Sherwoods are you doing here?
Indeed. The psychology is intriguing. A desire to lash out at someone or something that has inflicted harm or financial cost? Hardly: this isn't a purchaser who felt misled. The comments are rather redolent of shills we've seen from time to time over the years.
Denon''s business model is planned obsolescence, just like Bose. They're already on Gen 2 of Heos. Best of luck with your Heos 5 years hence, lol.
The Wirecutter reviews are always top notch, completely unlike the ridiculous Audiophile rags. They give Sonos top billing in multiroom. Denon warrants a mere short paragraph, just another Sonos wannabe, nothing special.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/sonos-player/
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I'm still surprised four years later that this simple basic requirement isn't possible. I'm ready and willing to buy a sonos soundbar if it had this simple feature.

I have a PC and laptop I'd like to get connected to decent speakers and due to size the sonos 1 and soundbar are the only choice.

Come on sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Direct Spotify added and more to come. They are not a Bluetooth speaker where you send from computer. Never will be. The architecture is pull direct from source for reliabilty not stream from device and device dependence. Fundamental difference that is not basic to how Sonos reliably does things.
Userlevel 1
I enquired about this issue more than 18 months ago and was surprised to find no action. Can someone explain why? Is this some kind of principled stand against streaming video sound? Seems insane to have a product that almost works. Is this really that big a technical challenge? Please fix this so I can buy your product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos normally pulls all direct from source. So their method is your phone is just a remote. You tell the speaker what you want it to play and it goes to source direct via router to internet and pulls song. Your phone never actually has the song on it. Try have deviated from this allowing phones to send music residing on the phone. However the pull of music from internet to the phone and then out again to the speaker is very network taxing and for reliability reasons is not a good method at all. So Sonos has never devoted resources to such a flawed method. From a video perspective YouTube tries to keep people from sending just audio out as there revenue is based as a video service. You can't stream YouTube from your phone even with their chromecast service.

There is a 3rd party hack software in the Apple App Store called Sonos tube though that will send YouTube audio to Sonos speakers from iOS.
However the pull of music from internet to the phone and then out again to the speaker is very network taxing and for reliability reasons is not a good method at all. So Sonos has never devoted resources to such a flawed method.

I'm not sure of what kind of network you have at your house but most audio streaming runs at 1/4 to 1/2 Mbps. Most home wifi networks are 54 Mbps minimum. How would a the 2 way audio stream in any way be taxing? It's only consuming max 2% of a 54Mbps connection.

From a video perspective YouTube tries to keep people from sending just audio out as there revenue is based as a video service. You can't stream YouTube from your phone even with their chromecast service.

Are you sure about this? I just removed a Chromecast audio to try a Sonos Connect:Amp. I had no issues with sending YouTube streams to my Chromecast.

I like the idea of the Sonos Connect:Amp to power in-ceiling speakers but I couldn't tolerate the price. I got one for free recently and I still don't think it's worth it because the lack of this feature. Back to my Chromecast I go I guess.