Question

Chromecast and SONOS?

• 13 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Is there any official word on the possibility of chromecast and Sonos working? As in i can cast from my iPhone to my Sonos something not available via Sonos (such as some shows that are available in iPlayer Radio but not available via TuneIn ? and other similar situations)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, nothing other than using the CCA puck wired into the line in jacks of a Sonos unit that has these, and then you can listen to anything that can be cast to the CCA device.

But I don't think that iPhone and the CCA like each other enough to talk in this way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
BBC iplayer radio app on iphone casts just fine to a CCA.
But apple music on iphone will not.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
No, nothing other than using the CCA puck wired into the line in jacks of a Sonos unit that has these, and then you can listen to anything that can be cast to the CCA device.

But I don't think that iPhone and the CCA like each other enough to talk in this way.

but none of my Sonos speakers has one (i dont have a Play 5 but 1, 3, and One). so SOOL for me

i guess i will buy a few more minis since they are on sale.. i have a google home and a mini and can group them and cast to them and they are not bad (this is for spoken word only so even the mini is surprisingly fine)... and if Sonos and Google work it out... i can always give them to my nephews.

i actually prefer google assistant to alexa but it WOULD BE NICE if it could be worked out for CCA to cast to Sonos (yes i read the explanation in the other thread about pull and push and understand it... but one can dream).

i guess the good news is that this is still a cheaper and easier to manage way to have sound in various rooms than my previous system of casting and having it go thru my receiver to wired speakers in one room and wireless via transmitter in other rooms... (what we do to get the audio system we want)

i actually prefer google assistant to alexa but it WOULD BE NICE if it could be worked out for CCA to cast to Sonos

The funny thing is that Google has been able to cast without a CCA to Sonos for some years now - but this has remained limited to how it was when launched - the Google Play Music app running on Android devices has the cast icon that can be used to select and wirelessly cast to any desired Sonos room/speaker. It works very well. The mystery is why this hasn't been extended to Google Home/Mini - as far as I can see, that would be job done as far as voice control for Sonos is concerned.
Which is why I believe that going the Google way would have been faster and less clunky than the route that Sonos chose, via Amazon. I also therefore think that when Google Assistant/Google Mini are able to voice control Sonos in 2018, this will offer a better user experience of voice control.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
i will see if i can do this from one of my newer chromebooks (2017 with play store) .... that would be interesting. i dont have an android phone