Change DNS - Possible?

Userlevel 2
Hi!

Is there some way of changing the DNS adress of the Sonos system... I am not looking for a generel change in my computer-setup.. Just that Sonos goes thru a different DNS to be able to listen to radio-stations that is not possible because of the current listen-location is not supported.

Any good tricks or is Sonos maybe planning a way of changing the DNS thru the software??

🆒

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I to would like to be able to change the DNS. Current it seems that the local DNS service on my Hub is broken. To use my devices I have been forcing them to use google DNS, I do have a replacement hub on order but until I get it I have no music as SONOS is still trying to resolve using the broken service.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I am not a Brit, so no idea how BT internet is sold. Isn't there a possibility in the UK to get a better router with built-in DSL modem which can replace the BT Hub2, maybe from a 3rd party? It seems to be a quite cheap and not too capable router. Many better models also have the possibility to change DNS, of course, and many more options to enjoy, like NAS functions etc.
I'm having terrible trouble with my Sonos and BT Hub2.
The BTHub doesn't let you change the dns servers given by dhcp, and it's dns proxy is the problem. I've had to override the dns on most of devices, but I cant do this on the Sonos.

To use a different DNS you'd have to disable the BT Hub's DHCP server and run your own. A simple solution is to get an old Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL (off eBay if necessary) and install Tomato firmware on it. It's straightforward to use.

With Tomato you can if you wish specify the BT Hub's DNS (192.168.1.254) as a fall-back, in addition to third party DNS servers such as Google's. You'd use the 'strict-order' parameter in the Dnsmasq custom configuation box under Advanced>DHCP/DNS.
I'm having terrible trouble with my Sonos and BT Hub2.
The BTHub doesn't let you change the dns servers given by dhcp, and it's dns proxy is the problem. I've had to override the dns on most of devices, but I cant do this on the Sonos.
When Sonos partners with music services likely one of the requirements is to not enable circumventing geo restrictions. So Sonos (nor other media streamers) will likely never offer this. The music services hands are tied due to licensing.

You're going to need to do it at your router.

Alternatively plug a device into your Sonos line in that is circumventing geo.
I would like to have control over the DNS settings in my sonos system. I would like to see this feature incorporated in future releases.

Why? Its totally pointless to have this feature. Also Sonos officially doesn't monitor these forums so your 'vote' doesn't do much of anything.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would like to have control over the DNS settings in my sonos system. I would like to see this feature incorporated in future releases.
Just that Sonos goes thru a different DNS to be able to listen to radio-stations that is not possible because of the current listen-location is not supported.

Sonos isn't going to adopt a feature that allows you to circumvent a geo-block.

And a different DNS won't do that anyway.
There's an old request thread over on the Sound Ideas forum for more control over network settings: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=14914

Sonos don't discuss future development plans, but I'd suggest you don't keep your hopes up. DHCP is the correct way to control network addresses and I can't see Sonos departing from that approach. Allowing users to configure in static addresses could cause support problems to mushroom.
Userlevel 2
Thanks... But could it maybe be a feature in a later release of the Sonos software??

Too bad that i have to "tweak" my hole DHCP network for that to work only on the Sonos system.. ;-)

Sonos will simply use the DNS it's given by the local DHCP server. You can't configure address details in manually.

If you want to change the DNS supplied to Sonos you'd need to tweak your DHCP server settings.
Sonos will simply use the DNS it's given by the local DHCP server. You can't configure address details in manually.

If you want to change the DNS supplied to Sonos you'd need to tweak your DHCP server settings.