Certain FLAC files not playing

• 11 October 2017
  • 21 replies

Badge
I listen to most of my music (FLAC format) using a Synology DiskStation as my music library. I've converted HUNDREDs of CDs to FLAC files, and to date haven't had a problem listening to any of them. Recently I converted the King Crimson 'Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind' album to FLAC files, and my SONOS won't play them... I continually get the ' the connection to //DiskStation/[...] was lost.' message. It then moves to the next song, tries to play it, and displays the same error message. I was able to listen to the FLAC files successfully with another player (Cog) on my Mac, so I know they were converted successfully. I then reconverted the FLAC files to the m4a format (ALAC), and the SONOS player was able to play these successfully. Has anyone else had similar problems with specific FLAC files?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Try renaming them, I recall that solving some issues here. I believe the titles had some characters that Sonos didn't like. Renaming them to aaaa updating the library and then back to the original name (typed in, not copy/pasted) and another update seemed to work.

Might see the same thing in a tag too, been too many years since I converted my collection to recall the details.
Badge
I've seen that before, as well, but that doesn't seem to be the issue, since the .m4a files (which Sonos plays) have exactly the same song titles as the FLAC files, which Sonos will not play. But thanks for the suggestion
The bit depth and sample rate are the same as your other FLAC files, and don't exceed 16 and 44100?
Badge
I'm assuming they are the same (not sure how to measure). I used XLD to create the FLAC files, and hadn't changed any of the settings used to create other FLAC files that worked OK.
It probably isn't that then. The file properties on any computer would probably tell you, or check the settings on that ripping tool
The next obvious step is to try ripping another CD, or just a couple of tracks
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've seen that before, as well, but that doesn't seem to be the issue, since the .m4a files (which Sonos plays) have exactly the same song titles as the FLAC files, which Sonos will not play. But thanks for the suggestion

Are you sure they are the same song titles bit-by-bit and not just ones that look similar in your file viewer? You can do a compare in many disk management tools, ones that offer hex dumps of your file tables, but that is a lot of aggravation to go to.

Remember what you see on screen isn't necessarily what Sonos sees from the file name table.
Badge
Yes, the file names are identical. And in answer to John B., I've ripped several CDs since the ones that failed, into the same FLAC format, and they played correctly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
OK, I'm guessing you didn't actually verify the file names were identical and just went by looking at them in your file manager. I'll quit this topic.
Badge
umm.. what part of 'identical' don't you understand? I loaded them into an ascii analyzer, and yes. each character in both the FLAC and m4a song titles are equivalent
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
barkinglobster: After encountering the problem and getting the error message, please submit a diagnostic report and we may be able to see whats going on from the report. Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end.
Hi,
I am faced with a constant issue, with the sonos one player not playing FLAC files.
The music files are on my mobile phone, and the sonos controller app too.
Whenever I play flac files, the player plays for a few seconds, and immediately stops playing the song further, and throws the message 'network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer'
However, I don't face issues with mp3 files...
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
DB1975: Based on the error you are describing, there may be a spike in latency on the network. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number it gives you at the end.
Hi Keith, I have submitted 3 diagnostics at 3 different intervals. The diagnostic numbers are 10881811200, 879607355, 494405528.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
DB1975: Thanks for the diagnostics. As expected, I am seeing a number of problems with the Sonos One in the Bedroom trying to maintain a connection to the router. In fact, the Sonos One seems to have to repeat the data sent about 10-20% of the time. Try changing your wireless channel on your router to Channel 6 and let us know if things get better.
Hi Keith, consider me a Newbie to this. Apologies, as I did not understand how to set the channel to 6. I use a WiFi pod/adapter ( FDD - Band 3/ 5 / TDD - Band 40 support). This spec I got from the device. Not sure if this conforms. Do advise
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. I would recommend giving our support technicians a call so they can take a look at this in real-time with you through a remote session. Thanks!
Thanks Keith, look forward to the call/support from the support team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. I would recommend giving our support technicians a call so they can take a look at this in real-time with you through a remote session. Thanks!

DB1975: Just verifying here... In order for us to troubleshoot this with you in real time, we need you to give us a call.
Did you have any luck with this barkinglobster, ? I have the same issue, Sonos playing FLAC files from PLEX, Unable to play, connection to plex lost. It only happens with some FLAC files, I suspect transcoding issues, but thats just a guess.
At this point I am running the latest version of Sonos and PLEX (July 2018). Plex is running on a QNAP NAS,
Just a quick update to my post above.
I re-coded the FLAC files using the latest FLAC library encoder and it seems to play the album now.

the album was encoded with Encoder FLAC reference libFLAC 1.1.0 20030126
it is now encoded with Encoder FLAC reference libFLAC 1.3.2 20170101

Perhaps SONOS could comment on any compatibility issues transcoding older FLAC encodings ?

there is a changelog here https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html
a lot has changed since version 1.1.x, mostly with metadata and the encoding process not the FLAC file itself.