Question

Cannot save playlist issue

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Badge
Playing from your google play account uses your download capacity. From your phone does not waste any "bandwidth" unless your wireless network is limited. However I agree playing music from ur mobile is not a good solution in terms of consistant quality playback.
Badge
I uploaded my music to my google play account, created a Playlist and now can cast the music in the Playlist to my sonos speakers using my phone.
I assume this works by streaming the music from the cloud back to my android phone and then casting to the speaker. How can the quality of this playback be better than casting local music on my phone via the google play app? Or does google just want to force you to upload your music to the cloud?
I assume this works by streaming the music from the cloud back to my android phone and then casting to the speaker.
It doesn't. The Sonos Player fetches the stream directly. The phone can be turned off, go out of range, etc. The music will continue.
Badge
When I turn my phone wireless off the casting stops. Sure when playing your google play lists direct I the sonos app makes sense sonos would fetch direct. However when casting it must come via the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
When I turn my phone wireless off the casting stops. Sure when playing your google play lists direct I the sonos app makes sense sonos would fetch direct. However when casting it must come via the phone.

Then Sonos is playing music that is ON your phone and NOT streaming from the cloud
Badge
Google play won't allow you to cast a local (on ur phone) Playlist to sonos. You have to upload the music, create the Playlist then cast it, seems crazy I know. Has no one tried this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos doesn't work that way. You upload your music to the Google Play service. Why you then select a track to play, or add to a Playlist, the Sonos player stores a record of where that file is (I've URL to it's location on the Internet). When you tell Sonos to play that track it sends the required information to the service which then sends stream DIRECTLY to the Sonos player. At that point you could throw your phone in a bonfire and the stream would continue.

Unless you are using the phone to provide the wi-Fi by creating a hot-spot and when you switch off the phone the wi-Fi is disabled.
Badge
There is two ways to play music from google play on your sonos. The first using your sonos app, add your google play account to the sonos app and play the music/playlists from your google play cloud account direct to sonos, sure throw your phone away it keeps working.
What I am talking about is the second method. You do not use the sonos app, from the google play app on your phone you can cast music to your sonos speakers using your wireless network. In this case google play does not allow you to cast music stored on you phone. You must upload to your google play account before casting. Now while casting if you turn off your wireless on your phone the cast is cancelled, no hotspot in use. In this case I'm assuming the music must come from google play cloud, to your phone then across your wireless network to your speaker?
Badge
People appear to use the second method, casting via the google play app, as it has more functionality than using the google play service controlled through the sonos app.
In this case I'm assuming the music must come from google play cloud, to your phone then across your wireless network to your speaker?
No. And that's not the way Google Cast works in general. The stream goes directly to the player.

That said, each track could well be cast individually, requiring an interaction with the phone whenever the track changes.

People appear to use the second method

None of us have any idea what proportion use the Sonos app in the conventional way or cast from the Google app.
After reading the above comments I'm firstly surprised and secondly bitterly disappointed by this (seemingly self imposed) limitation of what is marketed as somewhat of a premium product.

Why in the world should it be necessary to have a secondary device (NAS, Laptop, desktop) present AND powered up in order to use a playlist from a mobile device which houses all of the music files.

Attempting to use Google Play Music is not an option unless you want to either pay a subscription fee or suffer through advertisements.

Importing .m3U playlists from iTunes to my mobile phone also does not work

I'm glad I only purchased a single unit for testing before pulling the trigger on enough units for the whole house, I won't be buying any more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
There are no adverts with GPM on sonos, ever, paid or not. You can store upto 50,000 of your own music tracks to stream anywhere for free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
After reading the above comments I'm firstly surprised and secondly bitterly disappointed by this (seemingly self imposed) limitation of what is marketed as somewhat of a premium product.

Why in the world should it be necessary to have a secondary device (NAS, Laptop, desktop) present AND powered up in order to use a playlist from a mobile device which houses all of the music files.

Attempting to use Google Play Music is not an option unless you want to either pay a subscription fee or suffer through advertisements.

Importing .m3U playlists from iTunes to my mobile phone also does not work

I'm glad I only purchased a single unit for testing before pulling the trigger on enough units for the whole house, I won't be buying any more.

You obviously have a fundamental error in your understanding as virtual all your post is completely incorrect
I have had mine for about 3yrs and I am still at a loss why the programmers have made it so you can not save your local devices music playlist on that device as it will not play if the music is not there. Come on guys lets help everyone out and let us save the devices playlist on the device that the music is on.