Answered

Cannot connect to several music services

Userlevel 1
Badge

This morning I am unable to play anything from Apple Music, Sonos Radio, or Amazon Music. I rebooted my router, quit my Sonos app and still nothing. Any ideas on why Sonos is not making any connection to all these services?

UPDATE: I am getting intermittent service from these. I checked my internet connection, router, etc and all are good. I think it is something with my Sonos system being able to communicate with Sonos servers?

icon

Best answer by thptrek13 24 May 2020, 19:38

Boost is working great. Stable across the board on every device and every service. Worth it to just add the Boost and be done with it all. Thanks for all the help.

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Submitted diagnostics 1592689127

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @thptrek13, sorry for the delay here. I took a look at your diagnostic, and it looks like we were not getting any internet connection. If you are still having issues, please reboot all of your Sonos products by unplugging them from power for about 10 seconds, and then plugging them back in. 

Once the reboot is complete, please try playing music. I look forward to hearing back from your with the results.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I rebooted all products and router. Also deleted then added back music services. My connection to Sonos Radio and Apple Music is hit or miss. Sometimes it plays and sometimes not. It will say connection was lost. SiriusXM and TuneIn and Amazon Music all play fine all the time.

On my Sonos One, the Alexa is there but she always says I’m having trouble understanding right now. Alexa on my Move speaker works fine.

Just seems that the connection between my system and Sonos is not fully connected. I have had no issues with my internet here with speeds over 250 Mbps.

Thanks for any help

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

That is strange. The reboot should have resolved that issue. Would you mind sending another diagnostic so I can see their connection status after the reboot?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Report 560417392

Same thing, can’t connect to Sonos Radio, Apple Music, etc.

Here is what is odd. On my Move speaker I can play every music source and Alexas is fine. Every other speaker in my system is having the connection problems.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Thanks. For some reason, we are getting blocked from reaching the internet, other then then Move. What is the make and model of your router; do you have any extenders? 

As a temporary step, please wire one of your Sonos players to the router with an Ethernet cable. This should bypass that block from happening. While we are wired, please test music. Does it play?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am using ORBI system. My main router is an ATT fiber router that is connected into my ORBI and my wireless is off the ORBI system.

Speaker connected with ethernet into the Orbi router worked fine except for Alexa. Must be the wireless connection blocking internet access. Why the Move gets through but other don’t? Does the Move connect on 5gHz wifi?

I wonder if it would be more stable to connect a Boost directly to my ATT fiber router and let the boost create a separate Sonos network for all the Sonos gear?

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

The Move is capable of communicating through the 5 GHz, and the 2.4 GHz networks.

If we can wire a speaker directly into your ATT router, then you would not need a Boost. Any Sonos product wired to the router will broadcast SonosNet, which will allow all Sonos products to communicate on their own mesh network.

The Boost is only needed if you do not want to sacrifice a speaker’s location to wire it with Ethernet. If you are content with where the speaker is while wired, then that should work just fine. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, I can’t keep the speaker where my router is. I think the best option is to just get the Boost and separate the Sonos gear from my wifi. 

When I looked on my device log I see the Move on 5G. That is probably why it is getting through but the other speakers on the 2.4G are not getting through.

With the Boost, will I have to reset my current speakers or will they see the Boost network and switch to that. Thanks!

After you wire a unit the other speakers should detect the network connection and switch to SonosNet. After SonosNet is running I recommend removing the WiFi credentials from your SONOS system. Otherwise, if there is a temporary wireless issue the SONOS system might be tempted to switch to WiFi. You can end up with an awkward situation where some units are WiFi and some are SonosNet and they may flip flop between the two modes. This does not usually work well. If you have a wireless SONOS unit in a bad location you can add another BOOST (wired or wireless) to help the bad area. If the added BOOST is wireless, place it approximately midway between a good coverage area and the bad area.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok. I’m just going to go the Boost route. Funny that the system was working fine for months but not now. I know updates can throw things askew.

Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

When I go into the Sonos App on my phone and settings>Network it takes a long time and then “In Use” comes up. Shouldn’t my wifi network come up?

I keep forgetting, MOVE (if you have one) will always use WiFi.

If you go to Settings → System → About My System, you’ll see all of your units. “WM: 0” is a SonosNet connection, “WM: 1” is WiFi.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Boost is working great. Stable across the board on every device and every service. Worth it to just add the Boost and be done with it all. Thanks for all the help.