Cannot Airplay on Sonos One from iTunes on Macbook Pro

• 26 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi all. I've recently got a Sonos One as a present and I've been trying to set it up as a speaker for my devices at home. I've had no issues connecting it with my iPhone and Apple TV, and for a while it worked with my MacBook pro, but suddenly it can no longer connect.

I've tried reconnecting it from the Mac controller app. I've tried restarting it. I've even gone as far as a factory reset and it is still the same. Neither iTunes, nor the Sonos controller app can get to it. In the Sonos app, I use the basic troubleshooting steps to connect to it again, but after it connects again, on the very next screen it says the same old "Sorry, we can't connect to Sonos". Very strange and very frustrating.

Has anyone had similar issues, or the same? Any ideas would be much appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I have a similar but opposite problem. I have a Sonos One and Beam set up and they were working with all of my Apple devices right at first. They still work with two MacBooks but do not work with an iPhone over Airplay. The iPhone can still play to them using the Sonos app. I've power cycled the speakers and the problem persists. Is it possible that the Airplay connection is getting somehow 'stuck'?
This is confusing. If you can reach the Sonos One using the Sonos controller app, then you should be able to reach it using AirPlay 2. Both reach out over wifi / LAN to get to the speaker.

I think you've both done the right thing by rebooting / power cycling all of these devices. You may also want to try (although I can't think of why it might make a difference, but wouldn't hurt) to power cycle your router as well.

At the end of the day, you may want to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of failing to connect, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. And I emphasize "may", since the error is actually outside of the Sonos software, and in the Apple to Sonos realm. But I think a phone call might be helpful.
This is confusing. If you can reach the Sonos One using the Sonos controller app, then you should be able to reach it using AirPlay 2. Both reach out over wifi / LAN to get to the speaker.
The Music and Podcast app can SEE the Sonos One via Airplay, it just hangs on the connection attempt and eventually fails out. Meanwhile, the Sonos app can play to it immediately with no problem.

At the end of the day, you may want to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of failing to connect, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. And I emphasize "may", since the error is actually outside of the Sonos software, and in the Apple to Sonos realm. But I think a phone call might be helpful.

Great, I will try that next time!
Yea, you got me on that one. I would have thought that a reboot/power cycle of the device would have "fixed" any potential snafu in the connection.

Still, give a shot to that router reboot, too.

And good luck!
Thanks all for your input - still no luck. The strangest thing is that at one point it worked seamlessly for all 3 devices
Since it’s the weekend, you won’t be getting any responses from Sonos when you post your diagnostic number. I’d recommend trying the Twitter or Facebook support options, which are 24/7.
nsivan,

Maybe see if this is the problem...

1. Open the Home App on your iOS device, or Mac.
2. On your iOS device, tap  in the upper-left corner, tap Home Settings, then tap your Home ... or On your Mac, go to Edit > Edit Home in the menu bar.
3. Under Speakers/Allow Speaker Access ... select “Anyone On the Same Network”.... that allows anyone connected to your home Wi-Fi network to AirPlay to all your AirPlay speakers .

I’m not sure, but hope that may fix your issue.?