Cannot add my NAS-based music library to Sonos controller under Windows 10

• 11 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hello. I have been using my Synology NAS to host my music library (an iTunes structure) for the last 10 years under Windows 7 and never had any problems. I just moved to a Windows 10 (Pro 64-bit) computer and cannot get the Sonos Controller desktop app to recognize the path to my music library. It returns the following error message:

"Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Please check that the path to the folder, and the username and password if needed, are correct. Reason: There was a problem adding the new music in the shared folder "\ \ DISKSTATION \ music \ Music \ iTunes\ iTunes Music" to Sonos. Please see the following link for more information: http://faq.sonos.com/serverstack"

I have already gone into Windows features and enabled the checkboxes for "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client," but that didn't help. I even looked at the "serverstack" reference and found it to be unhelpful because I don't have an "IRPStackSize" variable in the specified key and, even if I did, there is no suggested value to use. And I made sure that Sonos is allowed through the Windows Defender firewall (I assume this was done when I installed the controller and it asked, and I allowed it, to automatically adjust the firewall settings).

Can anyone help? Thank you.

--Howard

7 replies

Not sure if you put in the extra spaces in your path on purpose or not, but if not, that could be the problem. There should be no spaces before or after the \.

Besides that, can you get to that path typing it into Explorer? It took a little time for me to get my Synology working with Sonos on Windows 10. It just didn’t like the path the first few times I tried to access the drive. Then it started working. I didn’t mess with any of the settings that you did.
By the way, fiddling with Windows settings is irrelevant. The share is on the NAS not the PC. The Sonos player is instructed by the controller to connect to the share directly. You could just as well use any controller to add the share to the library.

If the NAS share has in some way been affected by the move to Win 10 about the only thing that might be a factor is some change to the access rights on the NAS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not quite Ratty: while you are correct in saying the Windows settings will not effect sonos player->NAS communications, they can certainly effect PC controller->NAS communications. SMBv1 is likely disabled after the Windows change, and needs re-enabling. Go to "Turn Windows Features on or off" and check "SMB 1.0" settings.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
To BCM: The spaces were not there. When I type "//192.168.0.17" into my browser address bar and hit enter it changes to http://192.168.0.17:5000/ and takes me to the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) app. It does not show the path to the music files. However, when I type the "\\192.168.0.17" into Windows File Explorer (note the slashes go in different directions for a browser and for file explorer) it does show the path to the music. Is this correct behavior?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
To controlav: I have already enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS Client (despite apparent security risks). It didn't help.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I have made progress: although I had enabled SMB 1.0 in Windows 10, the NAS setting was for it to use a maximum SMB protocol of 3 and a minimum SMP protocol of 2. I changed that setting to have it use a minimum SMB protocol of 1 and now Sonos is able to connect to the NAS. My concern is that SMB 1.0 has security flaws that prompted Microsoft to turn it off by default in Windows 10. I have now enable SMB 1.0 in both Windows 10 and the NAS, and have concerns about vulnerability to hackers. Is this the only way to get it to work? It seems that both the NAS and Windows support SBM 2 and 3, but restricting them to that range wasn't working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Now you have it working, you can disable SMBv1 support on the Windows machine (unless you need to change the configuration again). You need to leave it enabled on the NAS as that is the only version the Sonos players can use.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings