Question

Can you play downloaded BBC iPlayer content on Sonos system?

I am resorting to downloading BBC iplayer content onto my iPhone and listening to it in the car!!! This is not what I had in mind when I bought my first Sonos speaker. Unless Sonos get this issue sorted, I won't be buying any more Sonos pieces for my house. Very disappointed. Am I missing something?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Hi Kate Yes I think you are missing something. Sonos is a multiroom hifi system designed to play local music files, streamed music and internet radio. If that is not what you are looking for perhaps you shouldn't buy any more Sonos.
Having said that, Sonos has the Playbar. I download iPlayer TV content to my phone and then use a Google Chromecast to stream it to the TV and hence my Sonos Playbar. With update 6.3 "Listen Again" BBC content is once again available. I think if you are disappointed it is because you weren't clear what you were buying in the first place. Sonos does everything it claims to do. There is no issue to resolve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You could use a chrome cast audio device into a sonos line in, if you have a play5, connect, or connect amp.
Hopefully one day you will be able to cast directly to sonos from native apps, just like GPM on android.
Errm, you boys didn't notice that yesterday's update included support for BBC On-demand content (assuming the op is talking about radio only and not TV programs)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
1) You can't, as far as I'm aware, play downloaded iPlayer radio content via iTunes. HOWEVER
2) You can download podcasts via Apple podcasts app and then play them via "On this iPhone" through the Sonos app
3) As The LHC points out yesterday released software version 6.3 that means you can play HLS catch-up/podcast streams in TuneIn radio through Sonos - when you can find them they play great
Errm, you boys didn't notice that yesterday's update included support for BBC On-demand content (assuming the op is talking about radio only and not TV programs)?
I did notice it and mentioned it in my post. But whatever....
I did notice it and mentioned it in my post. But whatever....

Well, I'm not going to suggest you edited your post after I replied but I read both replies twice before I responded and I don't recall those comments being there.
Wow! Some testosterone flying around here. Kate L's question was perfectly reasonable and a little respect costs nothing. I have just had direct communication from SONOS that Play 1 is not currently compatible with BBC iplayer. This is great forum for putting pressure on SONOS to take onboard customer needs as I too am reluctant to buy a SONOS withou this facility. Other than that we should be supporting each other and offering helpful positve advice.
Wow! Some testosterone flying around here. Kate L's question was perfectly reasonable and a little respect costs nothing. I have just had direct communication from SONOS that Play 1 is not currently compatible with BBC iplayer. This is great forum for putting pressure on SONOS to take onboard customer needs as I too am reluctant to buy a SONOS withou this facility. Other than that we should be supporting each other and offering helpful positve advice.

All well and good, except legally Sonos cannot unilaterally access BBC iPlayer content, and so far, it appears the BBC hasn't been too eager to participate in the free, open to any service Sonos Music Partners Program. Perhaps petitioning the BBC with this link would be far more effective than pressuring Sonos about something over which it has no control:

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I listen to bbc iplayer radio on my sonos most days. This is because I watch TV via the web on TV that is driven by an old laptop which just serves internet web pages. This is plugged into my playbar via the optic cable. Thus I can happily stream around the home. The system works very well, also delivering DVDs, netflix, lovefilm, youtube etc etc as well as other TV channels we are interested in.

Before we bought into sonos how it would work with bbc iplayer was critical since most of what we listen to is BBC iplayer. Actually now it is down to 50%. We listen to a lot more music now via deezer+sonos. But for us bbc radio catchup is king.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

All well and good, except legally Sonos cannot unilaterally access BBC iPlayer content, and so far, it appears the BBC hasn't been too eager to participate in the free, open to any service Sonos Music Partners Program. Perhaps petitioning the BBC with this link would be far more effective than pressuring Sonos about something over which it has no control:

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/21

Bollocks.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
For the original poster: Use the freely available software called get_iplayer (google it), you can easily download content from iPlayer, then import those files into your Sonos library, and play them through Sonos.

Bollocks.

Took you eleven months to come up with that? :8

But hey, in for a penny, in for a pound - I have given you quotes from the BBC's own Terms of Service as concrete proof of my statements. So far, you have given nothing to refute that. So someone is definitely spouting bollocks here thomas, and it sure ain't me!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Bollocks.

Took you eleven months to come up with that? :8

But hey, in for a penny, in for a pound - I have given you quotes from the BBC's own Terms of Service as concrete proof of my statements. So far, you have given nothing to refute that. So someone is definitely spouting bollocks here thomas, and it sure ain't me!

They are not concrete proof at all. I don't agree with your assessment of them.

And unlike you, I've actually given the OP useful, practical advice on this thread.
Your assessment is decidedly self-serving, and nonsense to boot. Sonos has stated as such.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Your assessment is decidedly self-serving, and nonsense to boot. Sonos has stated as such.

Self serving? What are you on about? If you've got no useful advice for the OP, I suggest clearing off from this thread.
I will post what I like, when I like. If you feel it is againt the TOS, feel free to report it to the mods. Otherwise, keep your suggestions to yourself.