Answered

Can we stream Audible on Sonos?

Userlevel 3
Any progress on being able to stream audible?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 March 2018, 20:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I would like to listen to Audible content again. Please fix this Sonos
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
I would also like to know.
Userlevel 1
Sonos... great to hear that Apple Music is more important to you than loyal buyers who bought you just for Audible.

I'm so pleased with you proactive communications and helpful support on this issue 🙂
Userlevel 1
We have all paid a lot of money for Sonos; while we love it, it is not cheap. A fair few of us have also paid for Audible, explicitly for Sonos because it is a great platform for it. Sonos have already accepted they made a mistake with this one but have really not communicated well as to where they are with it. Its not sufficient to accept that ' the transition from private beta to public is never discussed'. I would like it discussed and to be updated when it is delayed...as it is now. The product I bought is not the product I now have; whatever the apologists here say. I think we can cope with some facts.
Userlevel 1
jgatie Sonos in effect dropped support for Audible on 3rd November and there has been no communication since.

Pretty effingly shocking support in my opinion.

Obvious that Audible customers are not valued.
Any progress on being able to stream audible? I am a big Audible user. Please add streaming services for audiobooks soon.
I also, would very much like this fixed! Please Sonos, get it sorted out!
Its not whining.. Just desperate wish it will be done soon and the product dev team focus more on this.

+1 for audible integration.

What is annoying that in the official help&faq this feature is still annouced for 'late 2015'...
I, too, am frustrated by the fact that the beautiful IBM PC '286 that I purchased for around $3000 will not run Windows 10, but I recognize that in the field of technology, which certainly is what Sonos is part of, things change, albeit at a quicker pace than what was in the 50's and 60's. There is no real permanence in this area, and things will become "not supported" on occasion. On the other hand, I think Sonos has done a fairly good job of not obsoleting their speaker systems every year or two and requiring us to buy new ones to run the latest software. Look at Android/Apple phones, for instance? There's been several iterations of the operating systems that have left older devices non-supported.

A $3000 PC you bought 10 or 20 or more years ago will still boot up fine today and will also still perform all the tasks you bought it for (unless you broke it somehow). It has not lost any features. You will probably not be able to install a brand new operating system, or use new software, but it is still functional. The same goes for your $500 Android 2.X phone from 2009. I have one here, it works just fine.

A Sonos Controller from just 5 years ago however does not work fine. It's useless now. The option to play Audible files from my network drives, one of the main features I used my Sonos for, has also vanished. The features have been deleted via a regular update. Not a brand new operating system with a completely different architecture that I had to buy seperately, just a normal update. And it is impossible to downgrade to make it work again - unlike your 20 years old PC.

I don't really see how your example is related to the issue.
Userlevel 1
jgatie Sonos in effect dropped support for Audible on 3rd November and there has been no communication since.

Pretty effingly shocking support in my opinion.

Obvious that Audible customers are not valued.

I'm sorry to say, but this is not even close to being true. In the Announcement thread, representatives from Sonos have been answering questions about Audible as recently as the last 20 days.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/important-information-for-audible-listeners-6731128/index1.html

Sure but the answer is always the same. That's not particularly helpful.

Sonos has made an enormous blunder on this one. No point pretending that they're handling it well.
Badge
Hey Sonos, Amazon own Audible. Amazon also provide the Amazon Prime music service. Amazon Prime via Sonos finally became available in the UK in April 2016. Is it too much to hope that if you've cracked Amazon Prime that Amazon Audible should be a variation on the same set-up and shouldn't take much longer? I know patience is a virtue; but I can only be virtuous for so long!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Look. Can the moral indignation. There's not many people would call my post insulting. Insensitive, possibly. But I'm going to assume you'd rather that than being patronised for being "visually disabled".

1) Sonos have a very long and firmly held stance whereby they do not publish road maps nor make announcements before everything is in place. It may not make it any more palatable but they aren't, at least publicly, treating this issue or those who post on here about it any differently.

2) Sonos have told us that they are working on it. We know it's not in a public Beta testing mode just yet but this is something you could do if you are passionate about this issue and making sure it works for the whole community - You could register to be a Beta tester and then if you're feeling brave register to be a private Beta tester. You would then get first sight, no pun intended, of Sonos Audible implementation and help test it.

3) Really, I understand how annoying Sonos' stance can be but I'm not making it up. This really is the wrong tree you're barking up. I'm not saying that flicking this particular cat's tail isn't going to help but really the main culprits are Amazon. They are the ones who made the changes that lead to the breakdown and they are also the ones who sell you the books you can't listen to on your expensive speakers.

4) I'd be pissed of too if I listened to books in the way you do.

Why not just stop digging digging yourself into a deeper hole? Being insensitive is every bit as unpleasant as being patronising. It never struck you for one moment that some people might not be able to just go to the library and read a book. Or that some people might really get a huge benefit from a spoken word book. Or that some people have more acute hearing because it's no longer the secondary sense it is in sighted people and crap speakers actually hurt you to listen to them.

And the word blathering IS insulting because you ARE patronising me, as if I couldn't possibly understand the relationship between the content provider and the manufacturers of the equipment that delivers the content. I do. If you actually read my initial post you would see that a dual approach is planned to bring pressure to bear on both Anazon and Sonos to get the issue resolved, either through additional resource if the issue is with Sonos or additional openness and commitment if the issue is with Amazon.

I really don't care who is holding the process up. I suspect it's a combination of both Amazon and Sonos. I would like it moved up the political agenda within Amazon and Sonos and I'm mobilising what activists I can to make that happen. Hopefully through the auspices of RNIB in the UK and AFB/NFB in the USA, certainly with a social media campaign that some of us are starting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Any progress on being able to stream audible?

Any update?

Hi DG69,

Though we're still working with Audible to bring the service back to Sonos we don't have a timeline available right now. We'll be sure to make an announcement here as soon as we do have something to share.
Just adding my irritation at this STILL not being fixed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I can officially announce that Audible is back on Sonos, starting today. See more here in our official announcement post.
I just got an email that it’s available. I added it as a music service and immediately started playing the book that I was in the middle of a few minutes ago at the right place! Oh happy day!! I’ve been wanting and waiting and asking about this for several years!!
Sonos... great to hear that Apple Music is more important to you than loyal buyers who bought you just for Audible.

I'm so pleased with you proactive communications and helpful support on this issue :)

Apple Music support was announced as being developed on June 28, 2015.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/28/apple-music-coming-to-sonos-speakers-asap-says-ian-rogers/

Work on the new Audible implementation was announced on Sep 1, 2015.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/important-information-for-audible-listeners-6731128

How about you give Sonos at least a 3 month benefit of the doubt before coming in here to whine?
I play all my Audible Books over Sonos. I used Audio Conversion software costing around £25 and stripped out the DRM. It would be nice if Sonos had done it for me - but they clearly were not in a position to do so. Lots of advantages - I now don't need to have an Audible account to play my books. Works fine from an iPhone too.
I would really love to get Audible working as well! I have to pull out my other speakers to listen now. And it seems that people are pretty unwarranted in their pile on Sonos here.
I am amazed and delighted at your moral integrity.
Frankly don't care who's fault it is. It's been this way for 6 months. When will a fix be ready?
Any update on the Audible support?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I dunno, my huge accumulation of audible books were playing on my Sonos up until the moment Sonos implemented that upgrade that removed the ability to play audible files. Audible files didnt stop playing prior to the ugrade, it was immediately after the Sonos upgrade when audible files were unplayable. Remember, they had an announcement stating that they were removing the service and were going to pursue development of a new more current (streaming) solution. I'm not a technical fellow on this level but I still dont see how it was Amazon that 'broke it'. I'm at a loss at to why the manner with which audible worked (I'm thinking most of us downloaded our files and imported them into our iTunes library). Format 4 is still available for download and playback as it has been for years, working on sonos for years. . .up until the update. The part I'm lost on is why take away the old established playback capability before the development and deployment of the new implementation of the service (streaming via whispersync presumably).

I for one would have been pulling my hair out and kicking holes in my wall if I were the emotionally impulsive (read-hotheaded) person of my youth. The action just doesnt square in my head, regardless of the attempts of some to try explaining away. the old way could have stayed and allowed us to access and playback our audible files as we always did. I searched and explored and queried and besides the whispersync capability developed and incorporated by amazons purchase of audible, I can find no changes or discussion or documentation that describes changes to the downloadable file (format 4 specifically) that would point to audible or amazon 'breaking' the ability to play back these files via Sonos.

Again, I certainly am not privy to the deep secrets and whatever goes on behind the technical closed doors to claim that I absolutely know the reality of the situation, but it just seems unnecessary to break what was there prior.

If not for Amazon coming out with it's Echo and its relatively recent ability to play ones audible library I suppose I would be one of those on here making constant inquiries about when is the audible integration coming back to Sonos. I for one, purchased these devices so that I can have access to my content. I'm not so in love with the devices that I'll be compelled to abandon access to my content.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm so pleased with you proactive communications and helpful support on this issue :)

Apple Music support was announced as being developed on June 28, 2015.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/28/apple-music-coming-to-sonos-speakers-asap-says-ian-rogers/

Work on the new Audible implementation was announced on Sep 1, 2015.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/important-information-for-audible-listeners-6731128

How about you give Sonos at least a 3 month benefit of the doubt before coming in here to whine?

So more than 2 months down, No sign of even a public Beta. Good old Sonos. They want to spend time on Vice Activation rather than customers. Well Sonos your vocabulary files will be small. all you will need to every request is the word NO

3) Really, I understand how annoying Sonos' stance can be but I'm not making it up. This really is the wrong tree you're barking up. I'm not saying that flicking this particular cat's tail isn't going to help but really the main culprits are Amazon. They are the ones who made the changes that lead to the breakdown and they are also the ones who sell you the books you can't listen to on your expensive speakers.

The Sonos defenders really like to propagate the myth that it is Amazon who is to blame. In John M's announcement of removing Audbile support he is crystal clear that this is a sonos issues and decision, quote: "current Audible implementation on Sonos would be incompatible with changes coming in this fall’s software update".

People who stayed on firmware 5.4 are still able to use Audible. Amazon didn't break support. (Sonos probably had to remove audible drm support last minute to make room for TruePLay which is why they had no backup in place).