Answered

Can we stream Audible on Sonos?

Userlevel 3
Any progress on being able to stream audible?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 March 2018, 20:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Was working for me but latest Sonos update has produced problems. No playback control or play screen appearing any more for Audible. I can still listen but have no control over playback. Reported to Sonos - currently investigating the issue.
See here.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Was working for me but latest Sonos update has produced problems. No playback control or play screen appearing any more for Audible. I can still listen but have no control over playback. Reported to Sonos - currently investigating the issue.
Any progress on being able to stream audible? About. Freaking. Time. You promised this last summer!

Uhh, they announced it 2 months ago, so you are a little late complaining about them being late. 😃
Any progress on being able to stream audible? About. Freaking. Time. You promised this last summer!
I just got an email that it’s available. I added it as a music service and immediately started playing the book that I was in the middle of a few minutes ago at the right place! Oh happy day!! I’ve been wanting and waiting and asking about this for several years!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I can officially announce that Audible is back on Sonos, starting today. See more here in our official announcement post.
I, too, am frustrated by the fact that the beautiful IBM PC '286 that I purchased for around $3000 will not run Windows 10, but I recognize that in the field of technology, which certainly is what Sonos is part of, things change, albeit at a quicker pace than what was in the 50's and 60's. There is no real permanence in this area, and things will become "not supported" on occasion. On the other hand, I think Sonos has done a fairly good job of not obsoleting their speaker systems every year or two and requiring us to buy new ones to run the latest software. Look at Android/Apple phones, for instance? There's been several iterations of the operating systems that have left older devices non-supported.

A $3000 PC you bought 10 or 20 or more years ago will still boot up fine today and will also still perform all the tasks you bought it for (unless you broke it somehow). It has not lost any features. You will probably not be able to install a brand new operating system, or use new software, but it is still functional. The same goes for your $500 Android 2.X phone from 2009. I have one here, it works just fine.

A Sonos Controller from just 5 years ago however does not work fine. It's useless now. The option to play Audible files from my network drives, one of the main features I used my Sonos for, has also vanished. The features have been deleted via a regular update. Not a brand new operating system with a completely different architecture that I had to buy seperately, just a normal update. And it is impossible to downgrade to make it work again - unlike your 20 years old PC.

I don't really see how your example is related to the issue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It has been 15 months without any progress. This must mean one of 2 things:
1) Sonos does not feel Audible is an important source, and it is not worth the effort to make it work again.
2) Amazon has decided that their interest is better served by not having Audible work on Sonos, if that means more people will be buying Echo/Alexa controllers.

1) I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, because Audible's "sync all devices" feature requires a handshake more complex that the regular streaming audio source. But really, over a year and still saying "we will fix it any day now"?

2) If this were the case, would Amazon not also withdraw support for Amazon Music?

Amazon do not publish their development roadmap either. Maybe Amazon couldn't do anything because it hinged on the Alexa programme. It's a very easy link to understand as you already appreciate the underlying BIG changes in the Amazon system - amd further tweaks they have made to it since the introduction.
That Amazon are now working wth Sonos is not a secret, and you are on a thread that explains this innumerable times ( maybe spend five minutes to read some of it), which would point towards Audible being workable when it is finalised.
Considering Sonos just entered a partnership with Amazon to integrate Alexa and Echo voice control with Sonos speakers, I'd hardly think either is likely. More likely is the Audible implementation hinges on the Alexa integration.
Badge
It has been 15 months without any progress. This must mean one of 2 things:
1) Sonos does not feel Audible is an important source, and it is not worth the effort to make it work again.
2) Amazon has decided that their interest is better served by not having Audible work on Sonos, if that means more people will be buying Echo/Alexa controllers.

1) I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, because Audible's "sync all devices" feature requires a handshake more complex that the regular streaming audio source. But really, over a year and still saying "we will fix it any day now"?

2) If this were the case, would Amazon not also withdraw support for Amazon Music?
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
I just airplay to my airport express, play what you want, been happily listening to Audible content this way since I got my Sonos, very happy chappy.
I do the same, and find it works well. It also gets around Sonos limitations with archived podcasts in Slacker. Of course, there's an additional cost involved, but I'd like to point out that from time to time the Apple Store sells refurbished airport expresses for a decent price. That's where I purchased mine.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I just airplay to my airport express, play what you want, been happily listening to Audible content this way since I got my Sonos, very happy chappy.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Just posting to also show my annoyance, it's all very well plugging Alex remote control, this should be far simpler to fix and I don't get why they are not doing it. I've had my audible account suspended for a year specifically for this reason.

Does Alexa play adubible content?
Does that answer your question.
That's probably the best idea I've heard to deal with this situation. Puts the hurt in the pocket of the people who need to fix it, the Audible/Amazon folks.

I continue to hope beyond hope that the upcoming Echo integration will bring a resolution. We'll see.
Just posting to also show my annoyance, it's all very well plugging Alex remote control, this should be far simpler to fix and I don't get why they are not doing it. I've had my audible account suspended for a year specifically for this reason.
Can we add audible connection like we can add a amazon prime music connection?
I have been playing one system against the other and figuring out what can each system do. As for sound quality, WiFi streaming is of much higher quality. Neither system is ideal or fills all the requirements. Bose can stream music services like sonos, but it can't stream the music stored on your iPhone; just from your PC. However, they go around the issue using Bluetooth. As for the software, Sonos definitely has the edge. It is more sophisticated and allows you to stream from your iPhone content.
As for sound quality, I think Sonos has more definition but lacks amplitude. Maybe if I get the sub and a couple of 3's and 1's... And, if I want to stream Audible I can buy a Bluetooth adapter and connect it to the in line adapter... It's just awkward and negates the "wireless" simplicity. As for WiFi quality audio, I have traditional B&W system. The purpose of this wireless speaker is its convenience, but once you have to "program" a bunch of commands and add design ices to connect so I can listen to what I want, the Sonos looses it's appeal. I'm still in the trading space and evaluating both.
I'm trying to figure out the logic which equates high end with Bluetooth. I must say it leaves me confused. But hey, Bose is great. So great, they've already revamped their entire multi-room streamer line 3 times in 4 years because of reliability problems.
I guess I was mad that a high end system I just bought can't play one of my primary sources of audio... I have to wire the phone jack. But what's the point being a "wireless" system. So I just bought a Bose. I'll compare them tonight and see if it's worth keeping the sonos. They will have to add the Bluetooth features to keep competitive.
I just bought a play 5 and was planning on buying one more and a few 1s and the play bar, but after reading this drama my disappointment with Sonos is forcing me to return the box tomorrow and buy a Bose or some other system that is not as quickie. Make a product that can stream from the phone; how hard can that be?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Once again, Amazon broke Audible and only Amazon can fix it to encompass Whispersync and other radical background changes Amazon introduced.

That they are working together to try and get Alexa up and running should be a good sign that Audible will likely work again.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Just adding my irritation at this STILL not being fixed.

Me too!
Just adding my irritation at this STILL not being fixed.
Badge
Hi, Im new to Sonos. Is there any news on Audible being available?
My apologies for conflating the two posts, Riddler.

Sounds like we're quite similar in thoughts. Appreciate the discourse.