Answered

Can we stream Audible on Sonos?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

I, too, am frustrated by the fact that the beautiful IBM PC '286 that I purchased for around $3000 will not run Windows 10, but I recognize that in the field of technology, which certainly is what Sonos is part of, things change, albeit at a quicker pace than what was in the 50's and 60's. There is no real permanence in this area, and things will become "not supported" on occasion. On the other hand, I think Sonos has done a fairly good job of not obsoleting their speaker systems every year or two and requiring us to buy new ones to run the latest software. Look at Android/Apple phones, for instance? There's been several iterations of the operating systems that have left older devices non-supported.

A $3000 PC you bought 10 or 20 or more years ago will still boot up fine today and will also still perform all the tasks you bought it for (unless you broke it somehow). It has not lost any features. You will probably not be able to install a brand new operating system, or use new software, but it is still functional. The same goes for your $500 Android 2.X phone from 2009. I have one here, it works just fine.

A Sonos Controller from just 5 years ago however does not work fine. It's useless now. The option to play Audible files from my network drives, one of the main features I used my Sonos for, has also vanished. The features have been deleted via a regular update. Not a brand new operating system with a completely different architecture that I had to buy seperately, just a normal update. And it is impossible to downgrade to make it work again - unlike your 20 years old PC.

I don't really see how your example is related to the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I can officially announce that Audible is back on Sonos, starting today. See more here in our official announcement post.
I just got an email that it’s available. I added it as a music service and immediately started playing the book that I was in the middle of a few minutes ago at the right place! Oh happy day!! I’ve been wanting and waiting and asking about this for several years!!
Any progress on being able to stream audible? About. Freaking. Time. You promised this last summer!
Any progress on being able to stream audible? About. Freaking. Time. You promised this last summer!

Uhh, they announced it 2 months ago, so you are a little late complaining about them being late. 😃
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Was working for me but latest Sonos update has produced problems. No playback control or play screen appearing any more for Audible. I can still listen but have no control over playback. Reported to Sonos - currently investigating the issue.
Was working for me but latest Sonos update has produced problems. No playback control or play screen appearing any more for Audible. I can still listen but have no control over playback. Reported to Sonos - currently investigating the issue.
See here.