Answered

Can we stream Audible on Sonos?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Badge
I am amazed that this is not fixed yet. Reading some of the prickly SONOS fanboy posts above make me chuckle. I'm no longer waiting - I won't be purchasing another SONOS product on the simple principal of their inept communication. (I know this is some sort of policy, but it is a STUPID policy.) Seems like SONY previous DRM sins come back to haunt them. SONY, I suggest you learn how to play well with others.

I'm amazed too and came onto this site today looking for information about the situation. I'm beyond not buying another Sonos product, I've just listed mine for sale and ordered a competitor's equipment instead. With so many competing products appearing Sonos are going to have to be better. Shame, I used to love it.

As for the fanboys. I'd expect the frequent posters to be adding something here but instead they seem to be looking for arguments and add very little. I've looked at 3 threads today and in each one a Sonos Staff account has had to ask for the fighting to cease, and in each one it's been one of the regulars goading people. Sonos Staff, you might want to look at that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I am amazed that this is not fixed yet. Reading some of the prickly SONOS fanboy posts above make me chuckle. I'm no longer waiting - I won't be purchasing another SONOS product on the simple principal of their inept communication. (I know this is some sort of policy, but it is a STUPID policy.) Seems like SONY previous DRM sins come back to haunt them. SONY, I suggest you learn how to play well with others.

I'm amazed too and came onto this site today looking for information about the situation. I'm beyond not buying another Sonos product, I've just listed mine for sale and ordered a competitor's equipment instead. With so many competing products appearing Sonos are going to have to be better. Shame, I used to love it.

As for the fanboys. I'd expect the frequent posters to be adding something here but instead they seem to be looking for arguments and add very little. I've looked at 3 threads today and in each one a Sonos Staff account has had to ask for the fighting to cease, and in each one it's been one of the regulars goading people. Sonos Staff, you might want to look at that.

Well the reason it gets like that is because there really isn't anything new to add is there? Not from the complainers and neither from the fanboys. I'm not sure what you reasonably expect to see here? Sonos will tell us when Audible is up and running in their own gods, glacial!, time.
I have given up and started selling my Sonos stuff piece by piece. Nobody is working on anything, that's for sure - it has been over a year without a single meaningful update on this issue.

It's not the first time we're getting shafted by Sonos - I own a beautiful $400 Sonos Control that they have stopped supporting and now has no function whatsoever. I was pissed then that I was screwed out of my money, but continued with the system as it was still the best around. Now other companies are catching up, and Sonos tries to make up for losing profits by raising prices on the hardware, while ignoring desperate feature requests from their users and even scrapping features that brought them customers in the first place. Awesome strategy.
I, too, am frustrated by the fact that the beautiful IBM PC '286 that I purchased for around $3000 will not run Windows 10, but I recognize that in the field of technology, which certainly is what Sonos is part of, things change, albeit at a quicker pace than what was in the 50's and 60's. There is no real permanence in this area, and things will become "not supported" on occasion. On the other hand, I think Sonos has done a fairly good job of not obsoleting their speaker systems every year or two and requiring us to buy new ones to run the latest software. Look at Android/Apple phones, for instance? There's been several iterations of the operating systems that have left older devices non-supported.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the state of things. It seems to be working for a lot of people, but not for you. That isn't something to be upset about, it just means that you're no longer in their target market. I think you may be wise in looking at other options, since the Sonos system isn't serving your needs. I hope you find something that meets your individual needs more closely.

For me, Sonos touches many of the correct buttons. It's not perfect, and frankly I don't think it ever will be, unless somehow I become CEO and redirect their development process, but it mostly works for what I need.

I wish you the best of luck!
Badge
I'm kind of with you on technological change argument Bruce, but in this context I don't think it holds. Sonos is still serving the purpose for which I bought it for, which was to stream audio services. It still does that perfectly well, but with one source disappearing, that's what's caused me to have an issue with it. I'm guessing that if they were also to have an issue with Spotify due to a change Spotify had made, and with Deezer, and with Tidal, and with, etc., etc., then you too might feel disappointed.
It's entirely possible, Riddler.

From my perspective, Sonos is in a difficult position. They're functionally the middle man for a bunch of 3rd party services. They provide an API that these 3rd party folks use to add their music to the system, and (I'm guessing at this part), Sonos does a quick pass of QA and publishes it. For the most part (and I'm unclear on where, but as a guess the current Spotify stuff is an exception), they don't write much, if any, extra code. So the real software work is done by the service provider, like Deezer, Tidal, etc. I'm not including TuneIn, since they're basically an aggregator as well, and just publish what their 3rd party folks tell them.

So from our perspective, everything seems to be Sonos' fault. And I'd say sometimes, it might be, but sometimes it wouldn't. Perhaps if their API were more robust or extensible so that it could handle additional requirements, it would help those 3rd party providers find and use specific code to handle their unique requirements. But from what I can tell, 90% of it is on the 3rd party, writing the appropriate code to deal with the Sonos API.

And of course, since each speaker / connect / ZPxxx contains the necessary firmware to run the API and do all of the necessary calls to the internet to get the content, there's bound to be some restrictions. I suspect that the original speakers from 10 years ago probably don't have the same memory in them that the newer series do. But Sonos has done what they can to keep those older devices functional, within limits. but not entirely with success, hence your issues with the Sonos control that you bought for $400.

In my world, there's never any guarantee about something either electronic, or that runs on software. I live at the whim of the originators. And I can only hope that they continue to stay in business, and update their devices with interesting things that intrigue me.

I don't denigrate your disappointment. I just have a different perspective than you..
Badge
Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure how much of that reply was directed at me or the other poster above. I'm not the one who spent $400 on a controller, that was somebody else, and i'm actually not that disappointed either. Sonos is still doing a great job for me at what is its primary reason for being in my house, which is to stream from Deezer. I did say above that I was getting rid of my Sonos stuff and I guess that is why you think I am disappointed. Some news on that, after hearing about the planned integration with Echo and the availability again of the Echo Dot, now on 2nd gen, I de-listed the sale of my Sonos gear and bought the Echo Dot. I now listen to my Audible through that and look forward to more versatile control of my Sonos when it comes. The Dot at 50 quid (or bucks) was a quick and cheap fix.

I agree with pretty much everything you said in your observation, although I would use the word "precarious" rather than "difficult" to describe Sonos' position. I don't think they write much either and I hope they are soon writing only firmware for their kit and leave the controllers to others. For a product that's evolved over so many years, the controller really is a big pile of smelly stuff. For me it really doesn't serve its purpose and when using my Sonos I often find myself flicking between the Sonos app and the app of my streaming service. I'm sure the streaming service would rather control the user experience and I think Sonos are going along with that, hence the announcement re working with streaming partners. That's a good thing and a positive step in the fight they have on their hands.... now if only they find an answer for voice that doesn't make them so dependent on someone else.
My apologies for conflating the two posts, Riddler.

Sounds like we're quite similar in thoughts. Appreciate the discourse.
Badge
Hi, Im new to Sonos. Is there any news on Audible being available?
Just adding my irritation at this STILL not being fixed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Just adding my irritation at this STILL not being fixed.

Me too!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Once again, Amazon broke Audible and only Amazon can fix it to encompass Whispersync and other radical background changes Amazon introduced.

That they are working together to try and get Alexa up and running should be a good sign that Audible will likely work again.
I just bought a play 5 and was planning on buying one more and a few 1s and the play bar, but after reading this drama my disappointment with Sonos is forcing me to return the box tomorrow and buy a Bose or some other system that is not as quickie. Make a product that can stream from the phone; how hard can that be?
I guess I was mad that a high end system I just bought can't play one of my primary sources of audio... I have to wire the phone jack. But what's the point being a "wireless" system. So I just bought a Bose. I'll compare them tonight and see if it's worth keeping the sonos. They will have to add the Bluetooth features to keep competitive.
I'm trying to figure out the logic which equates high end with Bluetooth. I must say it leaves me confused. But hey, Bose is great. So great, they've already revamped their entire multi-room streamer line 3 times in 4 years because of reliability problems.
I have been playing one system against the other and figuring out what can each system do. As for sound quality, WiFi streaming is of much higher quality. Neither system is ideal or fills all the requirements. Bose can stream music services like sonos, but it can't stream the music stored on your iPhone; just from your PC. However, they go around the issue using Bluetooth. As for the software, Sonos definitely has the edge. It is more sophisticated and allows you to stream from your iPhone content.
As for sound quality, I think Sonos has more definition but lacks amplitude. Maybe if I get the sub and a couple of 3's and 1's... And, if I want to stream Audible I can buy a Bluetooth adapter and connect it to the in line adapter... It's just awkward and negates the "wireless" simplicity. As for WiFi quality audio, I have traditional B&W system. The purpose of this wireless speaker is its convenience, but once you have to "program" a bunch of commands and add design ices to connect so I can listen to what I want, the Sonos looses it's appeal. I'm still in the trading space and evaluating both.
Can we add audible connection like we can add a amazon prime music connection?
Just posting to also show my annoyance, it's all very well plugging Alex remote control, this should be far simpler to fix and I don't get why they are not doing it. I've had my audible account suspended for a year specifically for this reason.
That's probably the best idea I've heard to deal with this situation. Puts the hurt in the pocket of the people who need to fix it, the Audible/Amazon folks.

I continue to hope beyond hope that the upcoming Echo integration will bring a resolution. We'll see.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Just posting to also show my annoyance, it's all very well plugging Alex remote control, this should be far simpler to fix and I don't get why they are not doing it. I've had my audible account suspended for a year specifically for this reason.

Does Alexa play adubible content?
Does that answer your question.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I just airplay to my airport express, play what you want, been happily listening to Audible content this way since I got my Sonos, very happy chappy.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
I just airplay to my airport express, play what you want, been happily listening to Audible content this way since I got my Sonos, very happy chappy.
I do the same, and find it works well. It also gets around Sonos limitations with archived podcasts in Slacker. Of course, there's an additional cost involved, but I'd like to point out that from time to time the Apple Store sells refurbished airport expresses for a decent price. That's where I purchased mine.
Badge
It has been 15 months without any progress. This must mean one of 2 things:
1) Sonos does not feel Audible is an important source, and it is not worth the effort to make it work again.
2) Amazon has decided that their interest is better served by not having Audible work on Sonos, if that means more people will be buying Echo/Alexa controllers.

1) I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, because Audible's "sync all devices" feature requires a handshake more complex that the regular streaming audio source. But really, over a year and still saying "we will fix it any day now"?

2) If this were the case, would Amazon not also withdraw support for Amazon Music?
Considering Sonos just entered a partnership with Amazon to integrate Alexa and Echo voice control with Sonos speakers, I'd hardly think either is likely. More likely is the Audible implementation hinges on the Alexa integration.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It has been 15 months without any progress. This must mean one of 2 things:
1) Sonos does not feel Audible is an important source, and it is not worth the effort to make it work again.
2) Amazon has decided that their interest is better served by not having Audible work on Sonos, if that means more people will be buying Echo/Alexa controllers.

1) I understand that this is not a trivial thing to do, because Audible's "sync all devices" feature requires a handshake more complex that the regular streaming audio source. But really, over a year and still saying "we will fix it any day now"?

2) If this were the case, would Amazon not also withdraw support for Amazon Music?

Amazon do not publish their development roadmap either. Maybe Amazon couldn't do anything because it hinged on the Alexa programme. It's a very easy link to understand as you already appreciate the underlying BIG changes in the Amazon system - amd further tweaks they have made to it since the introduction.
That Amazon are now working wth Sonos is not a secret, and you are on a thread that explains this innumerable times ( maybe spend five minutes to read some of it), which would point towards Audible being workable when it is finalised.