Answered

Can we stream Audible on Sonos?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Any progress on being able to stream audible? I am a big Audible user. Please add streaming services for audiobooks soon.
Please add me to the list as well. Very disappointing to have a feature on a high end system go away after purchase. I have Sonos players throughout my home. We were promised it was being sorted but now no direct updates for what is now a substantial time. Is it two years yet since it was deleted? I cannot find the old threads.
Any progress on being able to stream audible?

Any update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Any progress on being able to stream audible?

Any update?

Hi DG69,

Though we're still working with Audible to bring the service back to Sonos we don't have a timeline available right now. We'll be sure to make an announcement here as soon as we do have something to share.
Are we ever going to see Audible on sonos again?? Getting impaitent now 😕
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Are we ever going to see Audible on sonos again?? Getting impaitent now :-/

Did you not read the post above yours?

We already knew that Sonos was working on it since it was crippled by Amazon and the above post confirms it. So you won't hear anything different from Sonos until the fix is implemented.

I sympathise with your impatience - I do love their system but they can be somewhat glacial in their progress. Of course that's partly because we KNOW they are going to fix it because they've said so and we want it done now. But at least they don't take the stance of other manufacturers.
So tedious. One of the two parties (sonos / amazon) must have a simple answer add to why the two have been unable to resolve this matter. Sonos please listen up. Six months is a long time in tech to remain silent with respect to a deadline. At least give us a date which you believe to be achievable. If we hadn't invested so much in your hardware, some of us would be fleeting right now.
Sonos has never given specific timelines*, I highly doubt they are going to start now.

* Before the forum contrarian comes in with his tired "Sonos myth" shtick, Apple once gave a general timeline for Apple Music on Sonos which Sonos then acknowledged.
Long time Sonos user... about 7 years now. recently purchased some audible audiobooks on iTunes for my kids and am very disappointed to discover this incompatibility. Amazon Echo is starting to look like a viable replacement. Honestly we don't really use the room link very much, and for years the phone controller has been buggy in connecting... only recently has an update seemed to solve all of that. I'm very much missing the sonos experience of the earlier years, was trouble free back then.
Userlevel 1
Audible are blaming Sonos for the lack of progress - quote below from an email I received from Audible support:

"Our technical team is working with the sonos team to support our file format. Our team is already in touch with the sonos team but due to some reasons we are not getting the complete support from the sonos team. That is the reason there is delay in supporting the new sonos devices. We would like to assure you that our technical team is working to make our audiobooks compatible on the new sonos device."

Hopefully Sonos can sort out whatever issues they have soon and fix this with Audible asap...
"new Sonos devices"? "compatible on the new sonos device"?

Sounds like their support staff knows less than Sonos are saying about the situation.
I am not "whining" to Amazon because I have a lot of money invested in Sonos products and relatively little in Amazon. Echo reads the book Alexander Hamilton while I putter. Please do what it takes to have Sonos do so as well.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Let's get the 'whining' challenge out of the way. I've now waited 12 months for Audible support to be reinstated. And I'm still waiting. I've seen comments that Sonos are working on it but am surprised that this fits into the 'too hard' category. Please give us some reassurance that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Be nice to know how long the tunnel is as well.
I am amazed that this is not fixed yet. Reading some of the prickly SONOS fanboy posts above make me chuckle. I'm no longer waiting - I won't be purchasing another SONOS product on the simple principal of their inept communication. (I know this is some sort of policy, but it is a STUPID policy.) Seems like SONY previous DRM sins come back to haunt them. SONY, I suggest you learn how to play well with others.
If Sonos didn't make their speakers so difficult to attach maybe the workaround wouldn't take so long. I have $600 worth of speakers I bought just to listen to audiobooks all around the house. Now the only way they'll play is if I invest in a $600 component with "line-in" capability. If Sonos cared about its customers it could find a way to make them play. On the Audible site, it says it should work with Sonos if you download in "Format 4." (http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4682/kw/sonos) Does anyone know how to make Sonos accept format 4?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If Sonos didn't make their speakers so difficult to attach maybe the workaround wouldn't take so long. I have $600 worth of speakers I bought just to listen to audiobooks all around the house. Now the only way they'll play is if I invest in a $600 component with "line-in" capability. If Sonos cared about its customers it could find a way to make them play. On the Audible site, it says it should work with Sonos if you download in "Format 4." (http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4682/kw/sonos) Does anyone know how to make Sonos accept format 4?

Sorry I can't answer the question about format 4. It doesn't mean anything to me.

We do know Sonos is working with Audible/Amazon to get things working again so I wouldn't advise you spend another $600 on hardware which may be an expensive paper-weight in a few weeks*

*I have NO inside information!!
Not to be pedantic, but the entry level for a line-in capable Sonos component is the Connect @ $350 US. If you have an existing stereo or A/V receiver, it is also a great way to get Sonos output from existing receivers and speakers.

That said, Sonos has affirmed as recently as this month that they are working closely with Amazon/Audible to fix this problem. I understand the frustration for those who purchased Sonos for this feature. Let's hop the coming solution is much better than the previous implementation, which by all accounts was quite lacking.
Userlevel 1
Rhonda, I don't believe you can get Sonos to accept Audible format 4 since support was dropped from this about a year ago.

We've still got this at home by steadfastly refusing to accept Sonos updates.

I don't know a way around this and have found Sonos support to be unresponsive and found this forum very unhelpful to say the least.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I don't know a way around this and have found Sonos support to be unresponsive and found this forum very unhelpful to say the least.

We're happy to help where we can. We're working with Audible on their full service for Sonos and will let you all know when it's ready to go, but until then there isn't any big news to share right now. I know it's disappointing having to wait, believe me we understand the frustration. I'm happy to help however I can if you have any questions.
Do you guys know where I can get the cable to connect my iPhone 7 to my Sonos 5 so I can listen to Audible?
It's a 3.5 mm stereo miniplug, female to female. Available at any electronics store.
Thanks!
Badge +1
Now that Sonos is playing nice(r) with Amazon as evidenced by the Echo/Sonos announcement, perhaps they will take the next step with Audible reintegration.... I can say that I haven't been thrilled with the buyout of Audible by Amazon, but this venture would be a logical step.
I'd certainly hope so, although it isn't clear to me that the same group at Amazon would be doing both sets of work. One is the Echo group, the other is the Audible folks. But as you say, it would be nice if they would get it done already 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Now that Sonos is playing nice(r) with Amazon as evidenced by the Echo/Sonos announcement, perhaps they will take the next step with Audible reintegration.... I can say that I haven't been thrilled with the buyout of Audible by Amazon, but this venture would be a logical step.

???? Amazon bought Audible in 2008. What is your point?