Answered

Can we stream Audible on Sonos?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

Some solutions noted on the internet stated to download the Audble book and add it to your iTunes library on your desktop system.

I downloaded an Audible book and added it to my iTunes library which is added to my Sonos system and I cannot find the Audible Book. I have tried searching by artist/author, genre>Audio Books, song/title, etc. with no success.

It is definitely in my library and in my iTunes library folder structure. (The file is an enhanced AAC)

It was in my library prior to adding it to Sonos, so I don't need to run an update, but I will try that again later after I update the library.
Any update on the Audible support?
@DG69

I recently posted a comment regarding shared music libraries and Audible files in another community thread about shared music libraries and a Sonos staff member replied with this comment:

"Audible is no longer available on the Sonos system so your system will be unable to index or play your Audible files."

Here is the link to that thread/post (not sure why it got moved to that thread):
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/unable-to-connect-to-sonos-playermusic-stops-6515226?postid=16003471

So, unfortunately, it looks like Audible files are not supported even through this route, since they are a special AAX(AAC) Audible format with DRM on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Audible made changes to the service some time ago which broke the Audible integration within Sonos. Obviously Sonos are not going to be able to play DRM audio files now or in the future (I'm talking playing that file from a music library)

We do know that Audible (Amazon) and Sonos are working to get the service up and running again. I suggest you remain patient in the meantime.

Why not join a library and re-discover the joy of a "real" book?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I dunno, my huge accumulation of audible books were playing on my Sonos up until the moment Sonos implemented that upgrade that removed the ability to play audible files. Audible files didnt stop playing prior to the ugrade, it was immediately after the Sonos upgrade when audible files were unplayable. Remember, they had an announcement stating that they were removing the service and were going to pursue development of a new more current (streaming) solution. I'm not a technical fellow on this level but I still dont see how it was Amazon that 'broke it'. I'm at a loss at to why the manner with which audible worked (I'm thinking most of us downloaded our files and imported them into our iTunes library). Format 4 is still available for download and playback as it has been for years, working on sonos for years. . .up until the update. The part I'm lost on is why take away the old established playback capability before the development and deployment of the new implementation of the service (streaming via whispersync presumably).

I for one would have been pulling my hair out and kicking holes in my wall if I were the emotionally impulsive (read-hotheaded) person of my youth. The action just doesnt square in my head, regardless of the attempts of some to try explaining away. the old way could have stayed and allowed us to access and playback our audible files as we always did. I searched and explored and queried and besides the whispersync capability developed and incorporated by amazons purchase of audible, I can find no changes or discussion or documentation that describes changes to the downloadable file (format 4 specifically) that would point to audible or amazon 'breaking' the ability to play back these files via Sonos.

Again, I certainly am not privy to the deep secrets and whatever goes on behind the technical closed doors to claim that I absolutely know the reality of the situation, but it just seems unnecessary to break what was there prior.

If not for Amazon coming out with it's Echo and its relatively recent ability to play ones audible library I suppose I would be one of those on here making constant inquiries about when is the audible integration coming back to Sonos. I for one, purchased these devices so that I can have access to my content. I'm not so in love with the devices that I'll be compelled to abandon access to my content.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm sure that Sonos told us that what Audible (Amazon) had done had already rendered playback problematic and they decided the time was right to start the process with Audible of ensuring correct playback so they stopped the ability to play audible books. Sonos took the difficult decision to remove the option altogether rather than retain an increasingly failing/flaky option.

I have no idea if that was the right decision or not and I certainly understand that those who used Sonos to listen to their audible books would be upset by this.
Badge
Hey Sonos, Amazon own Audible. Amazon also provide the Amazon Prime music service. Amazon Prime via Sonos finally became available in the UK in April 2016. Is it too much to hope that if you've cracked Amazon Prime that Amazon Audible should be a variation on the same set-up and shouldn't take much longer? I know patience is a virtue; but I can only be virtuous for so long!
Badge
Hey Sonos, Amazon own Audible. Amazon also provide the Amazon Prime music service. Amazon Prime via Sonos finally became available in the UK in April 2016. Is it too much to hope that if you've cracked Amazon Prime that Amazon Audible should be a variation on the same set-up and shouldn't take much longer? I know patience is a virtue; but I can only be virtuous for so long!Although Audible is owned by Amazon I am pretty sure their backend is different from what Amazon Prime is doing. But I do hope it comes back soon.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sonos... great to hear that Apple Music is more important to you than loyal buyers who bought you just for Audible.

I'm so pleased with you proactive communications and helpful support on this issue :)

Apple Music support was announced as being developed on June 28, 2015.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/28/apple-music-coming-to-sonos-speakers-asap-says-ian-rogers/

Work on the new Audible implementation was announced on Sep 1, 2015.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/important-information-for-audible-listeners-6731128

How about you give Sonos at least a 3 month benefit of the doubt before coming in here to whine?

So more than 2 months down, No sign of even a public Beta. Good old Sonos. They want to spend time on Vice Activation rather than customers. Well Sonos your vocabulary files will be small. all you will need to every request is the word NO
Userlevel 2
Badge

Why not join a library and re-discover the joy of a "real" book?

Because I'm visually impaired to the point where reading isn't an option? And Braille copies tend to come out MUCH later than the Audible ones. Plus having it read to me by an actor improves the experience
Userlevel 2
Badge
They want to spend time on Vice Activation rather than customers. Well Sonos your vocabulary files will be small. all you will need to every request is the word NO

I nearly choked on my coffee when the screen reader said Vice activation. It quite often gets it wrong (another reason it's nice to have something read to you by a human, not a computer).

I really can't believe that Sonos are putting a sensible level of resource into this. Bottom line, until a lot of audible users start stopping or pausing their audible subscriptions, Amazon won't put any pressure on Sonos or collaborate with them to sort this out. Boycotts work. I really like my Sonos system (I gave almost every component Sonos currently make except a Play 5 Mk IÍ) but I've had to buy a little Bluetooth speaker to carry around to listen to my books at home and in the office. It's REALLY poor. REALLY poor. And the lack of timescale might protect Sonos from letting anyone down, and it also makes people feel ignored. I personally feel ignored. it might not be Sonos intention, it IS the outcome of their "Wall of Silence" policy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
They want to spend time on Vice Activation rather than customers. Well Sonos your vocabulary files will be small. all you will need to every request is the word NO

I nearly choked on my coffee when the screen reader said Vice activation. It quite often gets it wrong (another reason it's nice to have something read to you by a human, not a computer).

I really can't believe that Sonos are putting a sensible level of resource into this. Bottom line, until a lot of audible users start stopping or pausing their audible subscriptions, Amazon won't put any pressure on Sonos or collaborate with them to sort this out. Boycotts work. I really like my Sonos system (I gave almost every component Sonos currently make except a Play 5 Mk IÍ) but I've had to buy a little Bluetooth speaker to carry around to listen to my books at home and in the office. It's REALLY poor. REALLY poor. And the lack of timescale might protect Sonos from letting anyone down, and it also makes people feel ignored. I personally feel ignored. it might not be Sonos intention, it IS the outcome of their "Wall of Silence" policy.

What are you blathering on about?

What is so hard to understand?

Amazon made incremental changes to Audible that meant Sonos was ultimately going to stop working satisfactorily with Audible. Sonos took the decision to pull the service.

However, Amazon have access to the Sonos API (as do all other music services) and it is up to THEM to get the programming completed and implemented. It is NOT a question of Amazon putting pressure on Sonos because it's Amazon who have their arse dragging on the street.

Sure, keep Sonos aware of your ire, which is fair enough, but don't assume Sonos can actually do anything about it.
Userlevel 2
Badge

What are you blathering on about?

What is so hard to understand?

Amazon made incremental changes to Audible that meant Sonos was ultimately going to stop working satisfactorily with Audible. Sonos took the decision to pull the service.

However, Amazon have access to the Sonos API (as do all other music services) and it is up to THEM to get the programming completed and implemented. It is NOT a question of Amazon putting pressure on Sonos because it's Amazon who have their arse dragging on the street.

Sure, keep Sonos aware of your ire, which is fair enough, but don't assume Sonos can actually do anything about it.

And yet another insulting, insensitive reply from a "rising star" of the Audible community. Your attitude to others pretty much sums up Sonos' attitude to its customers. Well, we'll see how many visually disabled users we can gather together and how much media pressure we can bring to bear in the next few weeks...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Look. Can the moral indignation. There's not many people would call my post insulting. Insensitive, possibly. But I'm going to assume you'd rather that than being patronised for being "visually disabled".

1) Sonos have a very long and firmly held stance whereby they do not publish road maps nor make announcements before everything is in place. It may not make it any more palatable but they aren't, at least publicly, treating this issue or those who post on here about it any differently.

2) Sonos have told us that they are working on it. We know it's not in a public Beta testing mode just yet but this is something you could do if you are passionate about this issue and making sure it works for the whole community - You could register to be a Beta tester and then if you're feeling brave register to be a private Beta tester. You would then get first sight, no pun intended, of Sonos Audible implementation and help test it.

3) Really, I understand how annoying Sonos' stance can be but I'm not making it up. This really is the wrong tree you're barking up. I'm not saying that flicking this particular cat's tail isn't going to help but really the main culprits are Amazon. They are the ones who made the changes that lead to the breakdown and they are also the ones who sell you the books you can't listen to on your expensive speakers.

4) I'd be pissed of too if I listened to books in the way you do.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Look. Can the moral indignation. There's not many people would call my post insulting. Insensitive, possibly. But I'm going to assume you'd rather that than being patronised for being "visually disabled".

1) Sonos have a very long and firmly held stance whereby they do not publish road maps nor make announcements before everything is in place. It may not make it any more palatable but they aren't, at least publicly, treating this issue or those who post on here about it any differently.

2) Sonos have told us that they are working on it. We know it's not in a public Beta testing mode just yet but this is something you could do if you are passionate about this issue and making sure it works for the whole community - You could register to be a Beta tester and then if you're feeling brave register to be a private Beta tester. You would then get first sight, no pun intended, of Sonos Audible implementation and help test it.

3) Really, I understand how annoying Sonos' stance can be but I'm not making it up. This really is the wrong tree you're barking up. I'm not saying that flicking this particular cat's tail isn't going to help but really the main culprits are Amazon. They are the ones who made the changes that lead to the breakdown and they are also the ones who sell you the books you can't listen to on your expensive speakers.

4) I'd be pissed of too if I listened to books in the way you do.

Why not just stop digging digging yourself into a deeper hole? Being insensitive is every bit as unpleasant as being patronising. It never struck you for one moment that some people might not be able to just go to the library and read a book. Or that some people might really get a huge benefit from a spoken word book. Or that some people have more acute hearing because it's no longer the secondary sense it is in sighted people and crap speakers actually hurt you to listen to them.

And the word blathering IS insulting because you ARE patronising me, as if I couldn't possibly understand the relationship between the content provider and the manufacturers of the equipment that delivers the content. I do. If you actually read my initial post you would see that a dual approach is planned to bring pressure to bear on both Anazon and Sonos to get the issue resolved, either through additional resource if the issue is with Sonos or additional openness and commitment if the issue is with Amazon.

I really don't care who is holding the process up. I suspect it's a combination of both Amazon and Sonos. I would like it moved up the political agenda within Amazon and Sonos and I'm mobilising what activists I can to make that happen. Hopefully through the auspices of RNIB in the UK and AFB/NFB in the USA, certainly with a social media campaign that some of us are starting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm too tired to bother to reply to this entitled nonsense

The Sonos defenders really like to propagate the myth that it is Amazon who is to blame. In John M's announcement of removing Audbile support he is crystal clear that this is a sonos issues and decision, quote: "current Audible implementation on Sonos would be incompatible with changes coming in this fall’s software update".

People who stayed on firmware 5.4 are still able to use Audible. Amazon didn't break support. (Sonos probably had to remove audible drm support last minute to make room for TruePLay which is why they had no backup in place).
Userlevel 2
Badge
I know, I'll pretend it's my bedtime and RUN AWAY
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I know, I'll pretend it's my bedtime and RUN AWAY

Actually I didn't write that. But yes, actually it was past my bed time.

I think we can all agree that we hope Audible/Sonos fix the problems playing Audible books through Sonos sooner rather than later and I genuinely wish your campaigns with some high profile charities yield positive results.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Sonos defenders really like to propagate the myth that it is Amazon who is to blame. In John M's announcement of removing Audbile support he is crystal clear that this is a sonos issues and decision, quote: "current Audible implementation on Sonos would be incompatible with changes coming in this fall’s software update".

People who stayed on firmware 5.4 are still able to use Audible. Amazon didn't break support. (Sonos probably had to remove audible drm support last minute to make room for TruePLay which is why they had no backup in place).

You'd argue Black was White just to stir the pot wouldn't you?
@Stuart called correcting a miss truth (aka lie), but you should call it whatever you want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@Stuart called correcting a miss truth (aka lie), but you should call it whatever you want.

Hey thanks. Not that I need your permission to post what I like on this forum.

If you want to interpret what Sonos originally posted as meaning that it is entirely Sonos fault/doing that Audible no longer works on Sonos and they can, by inference, fix it without Amazon's help you go right ahead.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
I bit the bullet and bought a refurbished AirPort Express from the Apple Store for $75. It's connected to my Sonos 5 speaker. I can now stream Audible via AirPlay to all my Sonos gear. This will keep me happy until there's a Sonos fix. I have also connected a chromecast audio to my Sonos connect, for casting. These two solutions also allow me to take advantage of some of the features in apps such as Stitcher that are not available in the Sonos interface. It's not overly complicated or expensive.
Sonos stated that it would be fixed late 2015. So where's the fix? This is an expensive system and we're paying a premium to enjoy all of our files. This thread goes back 2 years. Where's the solution? And not use a jack to play it on one speaker.

Personally, I'm holding off on buying any more Sonos players until I see how this plays out.
**Does anybody know a way to forward audio from a computer to a SONOS? like could I play it on the computer and send it over to the SONOS? That would also be great for gaming / netflix... ***

Just got this for fathers day so I could listen to books with my kiddo through out the house.

I saw that Amazon streaming was in the mix so I assumed Audible (an amazon company) would play nicely too.

Considering that I got a sonos 1 I might have to return it and get something with a line in :-(

Thanks all