Answered

Can't find spotify in the add service list on the sonos app

Hello, i live in israel and I've just purchased two play 1. I use spotify and tried to look it up on the sono app. Spotify doesn't appear in the service list.
Why is that?
Everywhere it says sonos support spotify. That's the reason i bought the sonos play 1.
Need your help.
On my android phone with the spotify (premium) i see the speakers, but cant connect to it. It just says connecting and the conks out, continuing to play the music on tge phone, so it's all very frustrating...
icon

Best answer by Keith N 2 April 2018, 20:45

Hello there, bretonn. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Chris is right, your location determines what music services are available. In this specific case, Spotify on Sonos is not available in Israel. In the meantime, I'm happy to forward your request along to the team for visibility and consideration.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would have to do with if your Sonos is registered to country that doesn’t support. You can see what country your setup as under Sonos.com. Login. Then look at profile.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, bretonn. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Chris is right, your location determines what music services are available. In this specific case, Spotify on Sonos is not available in Israel. In the meantime, I'm happy to forward your request along to the team for visibility and consideration.
Hi, I live in South Africa and have the exact same issue as Chris. It is very frustrating. Spotify has just launched officially in South Africa and I have a premium account. Is there a time frame as to when this will be resolved? Thanks.
I have the exact same problem. That’s so frustrating as I bought 3 Sonos 1 for my flat and can’t stream my Spotify music. Spotify is officially launched and supported and operates in Israel. Apple Music can be found on Sonos music services, how can it be that Spotify isn’t? Sonos promote themselves everywhere (website/ads etc) as a service that supports Spotify so this is really on the area of deceiving its customers. How can it be that my location determines my music services? Can you please explain?? Very very disappointing and frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How can it be that my location determines my music services? Can you please explain??

Because music licensing is a very, very complicated business and varies hugely by country. Many lawyers have vacation homes and large boats thanks to this.
That’s all very nice and your answer is quite obvious tbh...what I meant is that at the end of the day Sonos is a speaker. Advanced one, but a speaker. If a certain music service, such as Spotify, is available and supported in a certain region such as my country, and I’m paying for it, I don’t see any reason for Sonos to prevent me of hearing it on my speakers, especially if Sonos allows and support (let alone marketing it) the same service in other regions. Makes sense no?!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No, it makes no sense, it isn't anything to do with Sonos, it is EVERYTHING to do with the music service. Its their lawyers, their service, their decision. Sonos merely limit the list based on geofencing, as they are told to by those services. Even if you lie to the Sonos app by reconfiguring your country, it is technically feasible for services to still block you based on your IP address.
So this is the Sonos decides whether or not to give access to Spotifai in Israel? I thought it depends on Spotifay ... Spotifay in Israel works officially without any reconfigurations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Spotify determine whether their SMAPI service is available to Sonos users in different geographies. That info is then used by the controller apps to populate the list of available services. Additionally it is possible that the REST API itself may block users based on IP address (which is determined entirely by Spotify).
Am having the same problem in Israel. This is very frustrating. I set up a play 3 and cannot use it. Had I known, Sonos would not have been my preference. And, Spotify IS providing services in Israel. Sonos does not recognize that.
I have the same problem. I have been using tidal, but they have a bug that they didnt resolve and i cant use their service. I tried switching to spotify but apparently it isn't useful on my three sonos speakers. I have no alternative as i dont have an iphone so apple music isnt relevant. Please Sonos, add spotify to your service in Israel!
Do you know how much time it's going to take to add this Spotify support to Israel?
It's finally working !!

you can now connect Sonos with your Spotify in Israel now ...

Ariel.