Answered

Can't add the Microsoft Groove service to Sonos to play music stored in MS OneDrive

• 14 September 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
  • Virtuoso
  • 1725 replies
I have a Microsoft Office365 subscription that comes with 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage. I've uploaded my music library, and I can access & play it via the Groove web player.

However, when I try to add the Groove service to Sonos, I get the following error web page as part of the Microsoft authorisation:

Of course, going to 'http://music.xbox.com' as instructed results in a 403 error. Good ol' Microsoft. Going to 'https://music.xbox.com'' redirects me to the Groove web player -- where I'm signed in to my account -- but doesn't get me any further.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by pwt 4 October 2017, 18:38

Thanks for the responses folks! I'm not a Groove Music subscriber, I was just trying to make use of the 1TB of storage I have as part of my Office365 subscription, to store and access my music collection. I concluded that I would actually have to subscribe to the music service, too, in order to get my uploaded content to play.

I switched over to Google Music, uploaded my 15,000 tracks (out of a maximum of 50,000), and it's working well without requiring a subscription.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I can't help with your issue, but as Groove is being discontinued the problem will be moot by the end of the year anyway.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Microsoft have a deal to move Groove customers to the Spotify platform. You should receive info. from Microsoft about this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the responses folks! I'm not a Groove Music subscriber, I was just trying to make use of the 1TB of storage I have as part of my Office365 subscription, to store and access my music collection. I concluded that I would actually have to subscribe to the music service, too, in order to get my uploaded content to play.

I switched over to Google Music, uploaded my 15,000 tracks (out of a maximum of 50,000), and it's working well without requiring a subscription.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
For those who do care, I think this FAQ covers most of it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046109/groove-music-and-spotify-faq
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That page makes no reference at all to Sonos integration with Groove. I am expecting it to be switched off at the end of the year, but have seen no definitive statement to confirm.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
That page makes no reference at all to Sonos integration with Groove. I am expecting it to be switched off at the end of the year, but have seen no definitive statement to confirm.
I mean, it doesn't specifically say "Sonos ability to stream this service will end". Sonos, as you know, is simply a receiver for the stream though.
Groove Music Pass streaming service will be discontinued and will no longer be available.

There's no ambiguity here. It will not work after the end of the year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There's no ambiguity here. It will not work after the end of the year.

Oh but there is. The ability to stream OneDrive content will remain after the New Year, via the Groove app. This means some servers will still be up. The issue is whether the Groove SMAPI endpoint that Sonos uses will remain up, and allow users OneDrive content to be streamed over Sonos. Even Groove team members are unsure of this last I asked.