Answered

Can't add Apple Music on Android Sonos app

Userlevel 1

In the Android app, when I try to add my existing Apple Music subscription.

I hit the :

“I’m already a member” button

And then I get 1 second of spinner. But then I get a white screen forever:

Forever white

And AFAIS I can only add Apple Music via the Sonos app on the phone. I have no iOS device. I own a mac and Android devices.
I’d have plenty of Linux devices.. But I guess those are anyway not being supported by Sonos (which is kinda sucks to be honest).

So

icon

Best answer by James L. 20 December 2021, 10:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @casaper 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of this new issue of being unable to add Apple Music to Sonos via an Android device and we are currently investigating it, though we have no estimate for when this will be resolved.

Unfortunately, the only workaround we know of is to use an iOS device to add Apple Music - no help to you, I know.

I will update this topic thread once we have fixed the issue.

Userlevel 1

Hi Corry

We are aware of this new issue of being unable to add Apple Music to Sonos via an Android device and we are currently investigating it, though we have no estimate for when this will be resolved.

Well, at least I’m now also aware that it really is an issue, and not something about my setup…

Unfortunately, the only workaround we know of is to use an iOS device to add Apple Music - no help to you, I know.

I'm not sure: Is it possible to temporarily set up my Apple Music and Sonos app on someone else's iPhone and activate it from there?
Well, writing it out, makes me realize that it presumably is quite a hassle to do that with iOS, since it will ask me to fully take ownership of the other iPhone. The tremendous restrectionitis is the reason why I banned iOS from my consumerism.

I’d have a iPhone 4s in the drawer somewhere. It may even still run, but I presume it will not get up to speed with the updates needed for this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I guess that’s depending on release cycles of the Sonos app then. If your engineers found the problem soon, when could I assume their patch might get through to me via release?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @casaper 

I'm not sure: Is it possible to temporarily set up my Apple Music and Sonos app on someone else's iPhone and activate it from there?
Well, writing it out, makes me realize that it presumably is quite a hassle to do that with iOS, since it will ask me to fully take ownership of the other iPhone. The tremendous restrectionitis is the reason why I banned iOS from my consumerism

Correct - It’s possible, but very probably a pain in the neck.

I’d have a iPhone 4s in the drawer somewhere. It may even still run, but I presume it will not get up to speed with the updates needed for this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I doubt it - it would need to run iOS v12 or higher

Well I guess that’s depending on release cycles of the Sonos app then. If your engineers found the problem soon, when could I assume their patch might get through to me via release?

I can’t say - If I knew, I still wouldn’t be allowed to say, in case it takes longer for some reason. All I can say is that we view this issue as a high priority one. When it is fixed, it’s entirely possible we’ll push a special update just to address it.

Any update on the fix for this “new” issue? 

It’s not fixed at the moment - I’m thinking it’s perhaps an Android or more likely an Apple issue - so it’s possibly a case of Sonos waiting for one of them to sort it, but of course Sonos will unlikely comment until the matter is actually resolved, especially if it’s a ‘partner issue’, but let’s hope it gets fixed soon.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

It’s been reported for almost 3 months now. Don’t hold your breath.

Userlevel 1

The last answer here was 12 days ago. Are you able to escalate this. I only use Apple Music, and my expensive Sonos speaker system is now completely unusable (I do not have access to an iOS device)

How is this ok?

Userlevel 1

I contacted apple support and they said it was a Sonos issue, that Sonos needs to fix. Apple would not say why apple hasnt added Sonos connect to the apple music app, like Spotify. 

I contacted apple support and they said it was a Sonos issue, that Sonos needs to fix. Apple would not say why apple hasnt added Sonos connect to the apple music app, like Spotify. 

Probably because the majority of users will then use the Apple Airplay2 connection to send the audio to Sonos devices instead.

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

we‘re experiencing the same issue. 
I have an IOS device which works well with my Sonos speakers. 
My Dad bought also Sonos speakers but has an Android device. 
We share Apple Music and I have great sound while he cant use his brand new speakers. 

An Update and Software Patch on this issue would be appreciated as this is really unsatisfying… 

thanks and regards

Well just got home and unpacked my sonos arc, isn't this a disappointing first issue to run into. More disappointing that it's been an issue for many months apparently. You should not advertise Apple music support if you don't plan to support it. 

i have the same issue here. Tried to use my sisters iphone but it keeps saying it will use her apple ID for adding the service and i cant override with my own !

this is terrible ! 

Userlevel 1

I contacted customer service this week and they gave absolutely zero assurance that apple music will be supported on  Android anytime soon. Why they keep advertising support is beyond me, and not really ethical - especially if you are buying the product under the expectation it will work.

Since Apple Music has an exclusive license to some labels I really like, Sonos failure to provide android connectivity turns my speakers into bricks. My interim solution is to use headphones for apple and subscribe to a second service for sonos. That is cheaper than upgrading my sonos bricks and still gives me a library to use speakers for most things.  Upgrading or buying additional sonos products is out of the question until this is resolved.

I also contacted apple, and they punted the issue to sonos. 

Does anyone from sonos monitor these forums?  Maybe they could give a target date for resolution? Or at least be honest and flat out deny support for apple music. 

It’s more than likely that no one in CS has an inkling as to not only what the issue is, but which group is changing code to fix the issue. Much less when that code is written, tested, and released. 

Sonos does have forum moderators who pass back information to the development team, and I would feel fairly confident that timelines for perspective fixes are not shared with them, either. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I think the guy that maintains Sonos software is on vacation right now, and they don’t want to re-assign the other guy that writes software for the new products. :grinning:

Could be.  They may be the same coder that does TruePlay validation for new Apple devices, too ;) 

Anyone from Sonos able to give an eta for a fix?

Sonos, as a rule, does not provide ETAs, I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Hi @casaper 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

What’s the status on this?  I am trying to trial Apple Music and the fact that I can’t add is to my Sonos services is frustrating.  As others have mentioned here, it should be announced if you aren’t going to support Apple Music through the Android app. 

Just to add another wrinkle to this: info on Sonos controllers says an “IOS device” will be able to add Apple music on Sonos, but that’s not true.  It has to be an iPhone, a Mac laptop won’t do it.  

Does your Mac laptop run iOS, or MacOS?

Badge

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is this supposed to mean?  The OP is having trouble adding Apple Music to Sonos on an Android device.  Which has less than nothing to do with frigging iTunes.

Userlevel 1

Just wanted to let you guys at Sonos know that I’m still frustrated like many others.  

We still can’t use the expensive Sonos speakers with Android device…

You promised in advertising that it will work with Apple Music on Android. It doesn’t. You claimed this to be an issue of high priority.. it isn’t? 

please fix it or let us know that you’re not working on it. 
thx

Just wanted to let you guys at Sonos know that I’m still frustrated like many others.  

We still can’t use the expensive Sonos speakers with Android device…

You promised in advertising that it will work with Apple Music on Android. It doesn’t. You claimed this to be an issue of high priority.. it isn’t? 

please fix it or let us know that you’re not working on it. 
thx

I’ve been using Apple Music with Sonos on an Android device for years.  If I remember correctly, you need to add the Apple Music app to the device before adding it to Sonos or else the account won’t authenticate.