Answered

Can Sonos stream music from LogicPro X and Finale using a Mac?

• 22 October 2018
  • 6 replies

I am considering buying an entry-level Sonos system (2 Play 1) such as advertised on amazon.ca. One of the tings I would like to do is to stream through these loudspeakers the sounds I produce on my Mac using LogicPro and Finale directly, i.e. without creating an iTunes file. Is it possible?
Thank you
Antonio
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 22 October 2018, 22:43

Not directly, no. Sonos doesn't make computer speakers.

In order to do so, you'd need to use a Sonos device (CONNECT, PLAY:5 gen 2) with a line-in that you could connect to your Mac's headphone output, and then there would be a penalty of a minimum of 75ms.

Honestly, IMHO, Sonos is not the ideal system for computer speakers. And I used to use them as such on my MacBook. I gave up on it, just wasn't good enough for video/game play purposes. Got a nice pair of real computer speakers, and was much happier. My Sonos speakers are used for music only, now.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not directly, no. Sonos doesn't make computer speakers.

In order to do so, you'd need to use a Sonos device (CONNECT, PLAY:5 gen 2) with a line-in that you could connect to your Mac's headphone output, and then there would be a penalty of a minimum of 75ms.

Honestly, IMHO, Sonos is not the ideal system for computer speakers. And I used to use them as such on my MacBook. I gave up on it, just wasn't good enough for video/game play purposes. Got a nice pair of real computer speakers, and was much happier. My Sonos speakers are used for music only, now.
Let me amend my answer slightly. If you could get your output into digital optical or HDMI, you could also connect to one of Sonos' soundbars (PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, or Beam) and have a much lower delay on the input.
Thank you! So I should consider forgetting about Sonos for music creation and shop for good computer speakers. Now I have a pair of Harmon-Kardon and a (much smaller) pair of Infinity. But the reason I was looking at Sonos is that I do not know of any computer speakers that can work in groups of 3-4 or more...At a computer store where I asked, they were trying to convince me to buy a Bose or Logitech bluetooth system. They say that Bose can take up to 150 speakers!!! Too good to be true? What is your opinion?

P.S. I am trying to see if I can write 'spatial music' without buying...a dome!!! My budget is loimited (1000-2000$(CAN)).
Returning to streaming services, do you know if Sonos works with Spotify in Canada? Do you know of any Sonos compatible (Canada) streaming service with high quality output and vast catalogue, especially in classical, jazz and world music?
Again, many thanks

Antonio
No significant thoughts from my perspective. Since this is a Sonos support board, my knowledge tends to be rather Sonos-centric, and since I've littered my home with them, I don't have any experience to rely on outside of Sonos.

I would imagine you could look at the FAQs on this website with regards to Spotify and Canada. I don't know, offhand, whether it works there or not, but I don't recall seeing a lot of posts complaining about it, so I'd have to imagine they do. It seems to be Amazon music and Canada that generates the most posts.

I'd encourage you to take some time poking around the vast collection of FAQs right here on the website. Start by clicking on Support at the top of the page, and then you can choose from the selection, or do some searches. While I don't advise using the search function on these forums as it seems to be flaky when I attempt to use it, I also would encourage you to use Google search, which might return some of the answers you're looking for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Since you're on a Mac, Airplay would be an option too... though you still have the likelihood of delay just like using a Sonos speaker with a line input. Not all Sonos speakers support Airplay, but a growing number do, and can be grouped with the ones that don't through the Sonos app to have them all playing the same thing.