Question

Can Sonos Play Everything from my Computer?

• 27 November 2015
  • 15 replies

Hey,

I use my desktop PC using my 70 inch as a monitor as my main entertainment. I want to know if I can use SONOS to play everything from this computer and have the satellite speakers to play it also in different rooms. From what I am understanding from videos and the youtube thread, is that you are limited to only using these speakers with what is accessible through the provided app, and also from what your TV is outputting?

Can someone help me out?

I was hoping this would be my savior in having an almost wireless way to play all my music in different rooms of my house..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Assuming l understand your question....
You are correct in that the Sonos app rules what is accessible from any device to play through a Sonos system. However, you can add non-Sonos speakers with a Sonos Connect Amp. If I missed interpreted your ask...let me know. Cheers!
No, I think it's the old, can I use Sonos to play system sounds from the PC question, to which the answer is no, not without 3rd party software.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hey,

I use my desktop PC using my 70 inch as a monitor as my main entertainment. I want to know if I can use SONOS to play everything from this computer and have the satellite speakers to play it also in different rooms. From what I am understanding from videos and the youtube thread, is that you are limited to only using these speakers with what is accessible through the provided app, and also from what your TV is outputting?

Can someone help me out?

I was hoping this would be my savior in having an almost wireless way to play all my music in different rooms of my house..

If you've a PLAY:5, CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP you can use the line-in feature and hook it up to your PC, TV, phone, etc. Sonos devices with line-in can also be grouped with all other Sonos products that lack line-in, so you can still get the sound out to them as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you're running HDMI from your PC to your TV, and you're using the HDMI connection so the PC's sound plays through the TV, then you could hook a Playbar up to the Optical connection on your TV and get the sound into Sonos that way (while also making the sound from your TV a LOT better!). Then you could group other zones with the Playbar and have the TV audio play wherever you want.

Otherwise, the Line In option that Mohammed mentioned would be the only other way without a Sonos Playbar, and would have a slight delay inherent in the conversion from analog audio to digital.
Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it, however, I am still a little confused.

^^ You are correct I do have my big TV always connected by HDMI via input1 but it connects to a Switch which then can switch between:
1) Desktop PC 2) Wii U 3) PS3
I did this so that I didnt have 3 differet HDMI cords going through my hole in the wall (limited space).

The PS3 and WiiU uses the factory TV speakers

My Computer's sound card is connected to Logitech surround sound computer speakers. So.. When I use my PC for music, youtube, sports, netflix, live tv stream, and everything else... the sound is coming from my logitech speakers and not my TV, currently it is connected by a couple 3.5mm aux cables (surround sound)

When hearing about this sonos speaker system I wanted to buy the Playbar and several other speakers to put in other rooms.

*****The best option it seems like one of you said above, is to have the computer connected to the TV via HDMI, and then have the TV connected to the sonos playbar via optical cable. Would this work like I want?
When the computer is on, the TV is the monitor and Sonos playbar would be the speakers for everything being played by the computer through the TV which is connected to the playbar and then out to the other speakers connected to the system via the network.

Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As long as you can send the sound over HDMI to the TV, then going with a Playbar hooked up to the TV should give you what you want.

Check the sound settings on your computer and see if there's an option to send to the TV via HDMI. Most video cards with an HDMI connection should provide such an option, but if you're converting DVI, DisplayPort, or Mini DisplayPort to HDMI, then you won't be able to get sound over the HDMI connection.
I've read a couple of threads on the question of "Why can't I play Sonos on my PC" and many of the responses have been: "Why would you want to?" I have seen no answer to that question that matches mine. Here it is: I'm putting together a playlist of music I'm not familiar with. It's a lot easier to do on my keyboard than on my iPhone with the app. I'd like to sample tracks so I can decide whether to include them or not. What I'm hearing is that the only way to do this on my PC is to go get one of my Sonos speakers, remove it from the room it's in, plug it into a plug in my office and...voila, I can sample tracks. I don't get why I should have to do that, as there is Sonos software on my #$@$!! PC.

Thank you.
Or you can do like I do, and have a Sonos speaker in the room where my computer is.
I'm not made out of money.

So use a different piece of software to create the playlist, such as media monkey that can play through your pc speakers and then import the playlist into Sonos. It's one extra step adding maybe 30 seconds.

And why should Sonos, a for profit company in a capitalist economy, be concerned with that? Lol.
If you're running HDMI from your PC to your TV, and you're using the HDMI connection so the PC's sound plays through the TV, then you could hook a Playbar up to the Optical connection on your TV and get the sound into Sonos that way (while also making the sound from your TV a LOT better!). Then you could group other zones with the Playbar and have the TV audio play wherever you want.

Otherwise, the Line In option that Mohammed mentioned would be the only other way without a Sonos Playbar, and would have a slight delay inherent in the conversion from analog audio to digital.

I am a media designer (and closet gamer) and wanted to hear the audio from my PC through my Sonos systems for work and play. I tried many times to set this up, unsuccessfully, but finally I was able to do so after reading this post.

Now I can do my video edits and compose music through my Sonos systems and not my Sennheiser head phones, which I was wearing 8-12 hours a day. Any audio delay is not visually perceivable and now my head is free from the headphones (lovely as they are...but 10+ hours a day come-on). Best of all its working at a professional level.

I am using a Samsung 40" 4k monitor -> connected to my PC Nvidia gtx670mx video card via an hdmi cable. The clincher for me was figuring out where to make the playback device switch. Here it is for my PC: currently Windows 10.

1. Control Panel - or in my case used the Nvidia Control Panel (see here) and click on the "Open Windows Sound Settings" button

2. I then got this dialog box:

double clicked on my Samsug-C monitor, which is what is connected to my Playbar with my optical cable.

3. F*** Yeah! It worked

I hope this helps others as I had been trying to figure this out for a while (tells you how smart I am...oops)

Good luck
I have basically the setup you are describing: nvidia - (hdmi) - samsung tv - (digital audio) - playbar. And then a couple of sonos ones in the back of the room. When I play music using the app on my phone (or the sonos app in the computer) music sounds better than when playing sounds from windows. I compared by playing the same song from amazon music from the phone or from the amazon app on my computer. When playing from the computer, the sonos ones at the back of the room barely make any sound and all the bass from the playbar is missing. It is a bit like going from the iphone headphones to the bose 25 type of change. I am no paragon of competence or audiofile.... so maybe it is just in my head.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I have basically the setup you are describing: nvidia - (hdmi) - samsung tv - (digital audio) - playbar. And then a couple of sonos ones in the back of the room. When I play music using the app on my phone (or the sonos app in the computer) music sounds better than when playing sounds from windows. I compared by playing the same song from amazon music from the phone or from the amazon app on my computer. When playing from the computer, the sonos ones at the back of the room barely make any sound and all the bass from the playbar is missing. It is a bit like going from the iphone headphones to the bose 25 type of change. I am no paragon of competence or audiofile.... so maybe it is just in my head.

That's because when the Playbar is playing via Optical Input it isn't seeing any surround left or right data (for the Play1's).

When you play through the Sonos app the Playbar is in Music Mode, the Play1's are now in Full Music Mode.

Is there any software/ settings you can use on the PC to output music through all 5 channels (Optical Out)?.
Badge
I have basically the setup you are describing: nvidia - (hdmi) - samsung tv - (digital audio) - playbar. And then a couple of sonos ones in the back of the room. When I play music using the app on my phone (or the sonos app in the computer) music sounds better than when playing sounds from windows.