Can My Roam Share My Existing Library?

Badge

Hi. I have a Play 1, Play 3 and Boost which are operating under S1. I was originally told I could upgrade my existing kit to S2 but now whenever I try I am told my devices are incompatible with S2. I just bought a new Roam, which is S2, and I do understand that I cannot link the speakers as they are not compatible, but can I link my Roam to my existing library, playlists, favourites etc. or do I have to set it up entirely from scratch? I cannot even find out how to add my iTunes to the Roam let alone anything else. I have the S2 and S1 apps on my iPhone, but my main channel for my existing speakers is the Sonos Controller on my iMac, which incidentally will not enable the update they tell me is waiting to load. 

10 replies

Play 1, Play 3 and Boost are all compatible with S2. Just go through the upgrade process to S2, then you’ll be able to add your Roam to the system.

Just to reinforce @ratty ’s response, I can confirm that I currently am running PLAY:1s, PLAY:3s, and a BOOST all on S2. I’m also running the S2 controller on a Mac, running MacOS Monterey (hardware doesn’t matter, it’s the OS version that does).

The Mac controller doesn’t let you do system upgrades, I believe, you’ll need to do that from a mobile device (your iPhone or iPad). Once that is done, the S2 controller on your Mac works beautifully to control the music. 

Badge

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your replies. I am not remotely techie so I am struggling. I have the S1 and S2 apps on my iPhone, but S2 only locates the new Roam and not my other devices. My Controller on my Mac is S1, and I have the latest Mac updates (my Mac in the late 2021 version - bring back the Apple logo I say! It looks like a PC 😕 Sorry, wandering off topic... ). When I go to the S1 app on my phone it tells me there is an update, and that update takes me to S2, but nothing else links to it. When I go to update on my Mac, the update fails. I have two wholly isolated systems: my pre-existing Play1 and Play 3 (and Boost) and on the other side of the universe my Roam. I had online chat yesterday and all they could suggest was using my Roam via Bluetoothing my phone content! I have WiFi connectivity throughout my outside spaces and I want my Roam with me when I am in the pool or the hot tub, with all my assembled library, playlists, favourites and so on. Surely that is possible? 

Not sure what you mean by ‘other side of the universe’, but still…

It sounds like you set the Roam up already, as a separate S2 system, so I suggest you:

Then go to the phone’s S1 app on the main system and follow prompts to go through the regular S2 upgrade process.

Hopefully you can then do a simple Add Product to get the Roam onto your main system.

Badge

I am getting nowhere here. I went to the S1 Controller on my phone (although I usually use the Controller on my iMac) and went to updates. From the S1 app directed me to download the S2 Controller app where it was sitting in the Cloud since I removed it from my phone following your instructions. The new S2 then started the process of linking my existing Sonos units (Play 1 and Play 3) to the new app. I followed the on screen instructions several times and each time, for both units, I got a message saying unable to connect. Now I am looking at the ‘System’ page on the S2 app and for my Play 1, Play 3 and Boost products there is a red dot and ‘incompatible’. I am despairing. 

Badge

Hoorah! I think I’ve sorted it 😃 Not easy though was it? I can close this topic off now as hopefully my devices are all singing from the same song sheet 🤞🏻 Thanks for your help. 

Follow the steps set out by @ratty again.  With your Roam reset and powered off, and the S2 app having been uninstalled on all your devices, go into Settings on the S1 app and, the System.  Can you see an option for System Tools and in that a Compatibility Check Tool?  If so, go into that tool and follow the prompts to upgrade to S2.

My post crossed with yours.  Please post back what worked to help others.

Badge

I think all I did was click onto the ‘incompatible’ message and was guided to how to render them compatible. At that point all became easy. Once I’d converted my Play and Boost units to compatible status I was able to use the S2 app to add my Roam. I did not find the process simple, and there should be more detailed guidance for how to get around the statement that devices which are publicised as compatible with S2 show up as being incompatible. 

Thanks for posting back.  I would have to agree that the process hasn’t been well publicised by Sonos, and even the app doesn’t make it obvious what to do to get the various possible outcomes.  I think if you had had a mix of S1 and  S2 compatible devices, it would have offered you the choice of leaving everything on S1 or separating into two systems.  You are certainly not the first to struggle with the upgrade, but I am glad you are there now.