BRING BACK CROSSFADE THROUGH SPOTIFY CONNECT

• 12 October 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
In a separate, and disparate thread, it was brought to light from a Community Manager that Sonos arbitrarily eliminated the ability to crossfade music playing through Spotify Connect. This seems to have occurred in version 10.4. There are many of us hoping that, unless there is a security measure associated with this, that it returns in future versions. Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Could you please provide a link to that thread?
Ah, found it.

For those who are curious, it's here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-crossfade-6829763

Although I'd say there's no evidence one way or the other that it was "arbitrary" based on what Ryan S. said. There's not enough data to support a conclusion either way.

And since it continues to work on other streaming services, I'm guessing (no real data) that it wasn't removed by Sonos, since the other services still continue to work. I'm wondering if Spotify is making some change on their side, and need to work it through before reconnecting it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

And since it continues to work on other streaming services, I'm guessing (no real data) that it wasn't removed by Sonos, since the other services still continue to work.

FWIW Looking at Coco's post and Ryan's response, Ryan indicates that the change was Sonos.

Cococo wrote:

Before the last update it was possible. I'm always listening music with the Spotify app and the crossfade was available in the Sonos app this way... For me it's really annoying...

Ryan S wrote
That's correct, the last update had a few Spotify changes, most of them not visible in any way and reliability related, but this crossfade change was one minor one that did get included.
That is indeed from the link that I provided.

+1 for bringing it back! Especially as it seems a sonos decision and according to Ryan S was a “minor one". I used it all the time for searching and queuing songs on Spotify for play through sonos. Really cool (And indespensable) for parties and gatherings. communucation of change was also pretty poor. BRING IT BACK!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey everyone, I’ll make sure the team knows about your interest here. With a lot of integrated software development, most decisions or features don’t sit with just one team or the other, sometimes it comes down to software capabilites, API availablity, or all sorts of other technical sounding things I could talk about. Ultimately, it doesn’t really rest with one team or another, and is a collection of work on all sides.

Thanks Ryan. Appreciate the swift response. 

I registered just now to share a strong +1 to this.

The cross fade feature worked perfectly until the update in question suddenly removed it, so it seems the decision wasn’t technical. Really disappointing.

Streaming Spotify via AirPlay in order to have cross fade negates any benefit of getting an expensive (and otherwise excellent) Sonos system.

Please consider raising this with your teams so that the feature can be reinstated.

It would make the Sonos experience 10/10 once more.

Badge

Hey all,  you are correct in saying Crossfade does not work when you start playing from the Spotify app on your phone or computer

HOWEVER

Crossfade is working fine with Spotify when you initiate your playback from the Sonos app.  In the Sonos app you can select Spotify, and then play anything from your Library, your liked songs, playlists, etc.  When you do this the Crossfade icon directly on the ride side of the playback slider will work.   I was super made about Crossfade not working on Spotify but this works just fine so no big deal.

Crossfade is working fine with Spotify when you initiate your playback from the Sonos app ... so no big deal.

I control music directly using Alexa, not the Spotify app, and cross fade is unfortunately still unavailable.

That this feature is available by starting playback via one method and not others shows there is no technical or policy limitation, just poor design and an inconsistent user experience. Even crazier is the feature worked flawlessly everywhere until a recent update broke it. This bug is a regression 

Expecting people to use just one method or be penalised with fewer features is like saying the windscreen wipers on your car will only work if you reverse out of your garage rather than drive forwards.

Sonos should be better than this.

Badge

Sonos should be better than this.

I mean yea I guess they should but hey, I just yesterday finally got Alexa to play my Spotify playlist after trying to get that to work for 6 to 9 months, so I have learned to not expect much from Sonos. In the past 4 years what new innovations has Sonos brought forth?  Not much. 

I do agree with you that it should be fixed but it probably won’t.   Looks like you’re gonna have to back out of the garage if you want those wipers to work.  :)