Bridge Connecting a Music "store"

• 4 March 2021
  • 9 replies

I have several speakers (Play3,Play5, OneSL) all working on my WIFI network.  What no longer works is my music store (hard drive) that was "Connected" to the SONOS environment via an old SONOS Bridge.  The music store is not located near a speaker.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Bridge doesn’t work when the Sonos system is in ‘wireless’ (WiFi) mode. It only works in ‘wired’ (SonosNet) mode.

THANKS…..So here is the rest of the story, which may not change the reply, but…

I’ve had speakers in place at various places on my wifi network.  The bridge was in place and directly connected to my network switch.  The hard drive containing my music was diretly connected to the bridge.  

We’re my speakers “working thru” the bridge or directly thru the acess points/network switch and in some way being “coordinated” by the bridge, or was the bridge a standalone for connecting my hard drive?

And if the later, why did it stop working?  Equipment failure?  Do I get a boost to connect my hard drive to the SONOS environment?

It would help if you’d clarify:

• Which, if any, Sonos devices are wired to the network? (Ignore the NAS / hard drive for the moment.)
  • If you go to Settings/System/About My System what do the WM:x parameters say for the various devices?

No speakers are “wired”, only the bridge was.

All three speakers are “WM:1”

No speakers are “wired”, only the bridge was.

All three speakers are “WM:1”

So your system is in WiFi/’wireless’ mode.

If the Bridge is still wired to the network it’s probably failed, likely in its power supply. If you’ve deliberately disconnected the Bridge it will no longer work, as I said earlier.

Thanks for your patience and expertise.  So if I wanted Sonos to access my network drive would I need a Boost?   And connect that to my network switch?

Where is the network drive located? If it’s close to the switch just connect it to a switch port.

It doesn’t have to be physically wired to a Sonos unit. So long as it’s on the same network the Sonos system will be able to access it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Boost is optional, only needed if you can’t wire a non-surround/Sub Sonos to your LAN.

If your network drive is on the same LAN as your Sonos (wired or wireless) it should be accessible to your Sonos.

Excellent!   The drive sits right next to my switch….I’ll connect it directly!

thanks so much!