Question

Best application for managing playlists

• 25 June 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,
I had trouble getting Sonos to see my iTunes playlist. I thought it would be easier to go native, and use Sonos playlists instead. I have noticed two things, but may be mistaken; 1) there doesn't seem to be a way to download / backup the playlists and 2) there doesn't seem to be a way to remove songs from the playlists once they've been put there. Am I wrong? If not, I'm thinking of another application to manage my playlist. I'm worried that, with the eventual disappearance of iTunes, that the application will no longer be supported. Can anybody recommend another third-party playlist management application?
Thanks!
-Tony_P

3 replies

Did Apple make an announcement today about iTunes? The only thing I'm familiar with is that they're splitting iTunes into 3 different apps, one for music, one for podcasts, and one for video.

All of the current musical tools, such as playlists will continue to be supported by whatever they call the music part of iTunes that gets split out. Probably Music, but I haven't downloaded the latest beta, or read online to check.

On the other hand, you're correct, there is no way to back up and/or download playlists from within Sonos.

You can remove a song from a playlist by looking at the playlist (play it in a room), and click on "Edit" at the top of the screen, where the "random, repeat, Edit, Clear, Save" list is. Click on "Edit", then each entry will have a minus in a red circle just before the name, you click on that to delete the song from that playlist. And of course, once you're done, you'd want to save your changed by clicking on the "Save" at the top.

I've got both playlists in iTunes, and in Sonos.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply: I'll try it out. And as far as iTunes is concerned, I followed up on what I initially thought I had heard, and you seem to be right. I'm always a little bit nervous about Apple as they didn't always ensure backward compatibility of operating systems back when I owned a Mac.

If I'm not being too nosy, why do you use both playlists? I like iTunes for its features, but I was always in a no-man's-land whenever something went wrong: Apple didn't have any expertise on Sonos, and Sonos didn't have any expertise on iTunes.
Mostly because I use the iTunes playlists at work, when wearing earbuds or headphones. Oh, on flights, too.

The Sonos playlists, obviously, are for at home.