Answered

BBC working fine, and then.... audio cutting out

Badge
So, so sorry to bring up the BBC Radio topic again, but I'm not sure my problem is answered elsewhere. When BBC updated, I followed the instructions on this forum and everything for a few months has been working swimmingly until yesterday. Now the BBC channels cut out, jump back, speed up or just don't play. My partner predominantly listens to Radio 2 and she is getting a bit miffed. Any suggestions? Is the feed from TuneIn faulty or has my system gone a bit awry? Other radio stations are playing fine, as is my streaming from other sources.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Johnny
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 3 August 2016, 20:51

Thanks for all the details guys. As Chris brought up, we are digging into this issue with the cutouts. The latest is a correlation with the cutouts and VirginMedia, but we're still gathering data. If you're not already in touch with our support team I recommend giving us a call on our support line. They'll want to upgrade some logging and grab some diagnostics.

We don't currently have a timeline on a resolution but we are working with the BBC on the trouble. We know it's frustrating and will let you know as soon as we have more to add.

Edit: I'm going to make this thread the main one for this issue, so if you're having trouble with BBC stations cutting out and most other services playing fine, please make sure to post in here and follow it. Again, still a great idea to give us a call.
View original

173 replies

Badge
Snap! Radio 2 this morning was randomly dropping, then restarting a short while later and then again, and again.....before we gave up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Tootall and Abitoftap,

Please send in a diagnostic report after experiencing the audio interruptions, then reply with the confirmation numbers. Here's how to submit reports.
Badge
Thanks Jeff - 6395328
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff - 6395328

Hi Tootall,

There doesn't seem to be any wireless interference or network issues causing the playback issue. I'd like to get you in touch with our phone team to sort this out. Here's a support ticket: 160727-001919. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number here.
Badge
Thanks Jeff - 6395328

Hi Tootall,

There doesn't seem to be any wireless interference or network issues causing the playback issue. I'd like to get you in touch with our phone team to sort this out. Here's a support ticket: 160727-001919. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number here.

Thanks again Jeff - I'll call over the next couple of days when I get the time. Much appreciated.
Hi, I also have the exact same problem. Only happened within the last week. Prior to this perfect reception. If a solution is found can it be added to this thread?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi, I also have the exact same problem. Only happened within the last week. Prior to this perfect reception. If a solution is found can it be added to this thread?
Hi Nick, is your system only experiencing issues with the BBC or with other stations as well? Also, mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Max, diagnostic completed 6396321. This just seems to be a BBC problem, have tried other stations and all seems normal. Currently listening to BBC via my Virgin TV feed through the bridge without issue.
Same problem here. Was only saying how bbc steaming had improved now it's unusable. Other radio via tune in is fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Same problem here. Was only saying how bbc steaming had improved now it's unusable. Other radio via tune in is fine.

You should submit a diagnostic if you want targeted help
I will when I get time but not sure it's a Sonos problem as othe radio via tune in is ok.
Badge
Doing the same again this morning. My Music library and non BBC stations work fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Max, diagnostic completed 6396321. This just seems to be a BBC problem, have tried other stations and all seems normal. Currently listening to BBC via my Virgin TV feed through the bridge without issue.

Hi Nick, your CONNECT:AMP is reporting a lot of noise on the wireless which could cause trouble, but it shouldn't be just one type of station that has it. On top of that, if your CONNECT:AMP is having cutouts with the station it's unlikely to be the wireless since that unit gets playback through the wired connection.

The only player showing errors with BBC station playback is the kitchen unit, which also happens to be the one which has been turned on the longest. That player will need to connect to the stream through the CONNECT:AMP's wireless, so the interference could certainly be causing that trouble. Do you have any trouble playing Deezer or Spotify in any of your rooms?
Hi, I tried the kitchen unit on its own and BBC radio dropped out after about 90 seconds and was unstable so use was not possible. Then used it to listen to Spotify with no problem for 15 minutes on return to BBC again dropped out within a minute. Tried the 'portable' unit on its own for BBC and it did exactly the same?
Hi, I tried the kitchen unit on its own and BBC radio dropped out after about 90 seconds and was unstable so use was not possible. Then used it to listen to Spotify with no problem for 15 minutes on return to BBC again dropped out within a minute. Tried the 'portable' unit on its own for BBC and it did exactly the same?

Also as afollowup I tried the connect amp which is direct wired to the router and again BBC dropped out whildt other stations and Spotify did not. This seems to rule out a wireless problem but more towards a BBC signal issue?
I also have this same problem with all of my Sonos players. They seem fine for Spotify but not BBC radio
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I too have had the same problem twice in the last 24 hours & submitted a diagnostic last night.

When I went to bed last night my Sonos was in "party mode" with all 5 rooms det to BBC Radio 4. On waking turned Sonos on & all were "No music" - this is the third time this has happned in the last few days.

I have submitted an addition diagnostic number 6399034.

NJSS
Badge
I'm getting the same. Started on Wednesday. (Or that's when I noticed it).
Badge
Definitely a BBC issue. All non BBC seem to be OK. What is the next step that can be taken, if any.
Thanks
Badge
I spoke with Support and they advised me that it was a BBC issue and suggested I try the desktop TuneIn link to confirm. Well, the desktop link for BBC radio stations is working well without any dropouts. Something seems to be amiss between TuneIn and Sonos.
same problem here, non bbc stations are working fine, raised an incident 27/7/16. slightly annoying that it's now 3 days later and no fix in view.
I have the same problem. Sent diagnostic (6399118) and have been asked for loads of system information but BBC radio stations have been working fine for months then began stuttering again yesterday. Nothing has changed on my system. Non BBC radio stations / Google play and NAS streaming is all fine.
I am seriously considering getting rid of my system. I wish I had bought something like the Bose Bluetooth stuff. Apart from not being able to listen to the bbc live it's a pain that you can't access iplayer to listen to missed programs.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I've given up using tune in radio to listen to BBC Radio 2. I've wired a Pure Radio into the Connect:Amp to get around the drop out issue
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I wonder if the bbc streaming higher quality is emtying sonos buffers? or pushing poor wifi households over the edge?
If you have a line-in, a chromecast audio will let you use native bbc radio player, just another option till its fixed.