BBC & Tunein

• 12 August 2019
  • 59 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/08/bbc-to-pull-all-radio-services-from-tunein-uk-platform

Implications for Sonos?

59 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good question, @castalla.

From the BBC Blog on the subject:

A number of older audio devices that offer an internet radio service powered by TuneIn will not currently be affected by this change – as it’s neither technically or economically practicable to deploy these data-driven features. We will also continue to provide BBC live radio steams via TuneIn on Sonos speakers – while we explore alternative options for enabling the playback of BBC radio on these devices in a way that ensures you get maximum value from your licence fee.

I don't have any more specific details to share regarding BBC right now, but I can say that we know how important keeping access to these stations is for listeners.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Thanks for the info.
Do we know how Tunein on Sonos satisfies the bbc’s need for more listener info that’s crippling potentially other avenues like Alexa (I know there’s a bbc skill, but that doesn’t support multi room, stereo pairs, routines or more importantly for many, music alarms), or Linn streamers? What info is Sonos providing to the BBC to permit continued use of bbc radio on Tunein via Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi brantome53, Sonos doesn't provide any information to the BBC in exchange for access to streams over TuneIn. They know that many Sonos users are avid BBC listeners and are working alternatives that'll work for them.

The way Sonos players currently connect with BBC stations over TuneIn is through a broadcasted streaming URL, where the stations content is sent out, and you can sign on to listen in. On the server end (at BBC or their stream hosting company), some information can be collected, such as the number of users listening, and some basics about what kind of device or the IPs addresses that are using the stream. But that information isn't provided to them by Sonos, but as a part of connecting to the stream itself.
Thanks for that, but I’d like to think your reasoning could also be applied to Alexa and Linn users too. Hopefully common sense will prevail...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I use Sonos Favourites and I've only ever had them working with TuneIn stations so please ensure UK BBC access is maintained unchanged on Sonos.
This isn't up to Sonos. The decision maker in this is the BBC, so you might be better off directing your concern to them.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have, but as I said I've only ever had Sonos Favourites working with Tunein. The BBC blog indicates that as a temp measure access will continue to BBC on Tuniein until an alternative is put in place and Sonos would need to be part of implementing that alternative - meanwhile I would like to know how to add non-Tunein services to Sonos Favourites
So now my Tune-In doesn't work which is ok I guess but the BBC skill is not working either.
So to get the bbc radio stations i have to use the sonos app and then select from my favourites which station I want which is still using Tune-In. Or use the BBC sounds app on my iphone and then airply to the sonos. So no more 'Alex, play...'
Has anybody else found that links to BBC R4 and the world service have stopped working today, and are no longer listed in the Tunein system?
Looks like I've lost all bbc now.
Great....
As I indicated in the other thread you posted in, I am streaming BBC One via TuneIn on my Sonos without issue.
So BBC radio 4 via tunein has today gone from my Multi room Sonos. Fortunately I have an echo dot in bedroom so can listen on that. But quality is poor. Other BBC stations I listen to are still available by tunein but no doubt they will also disappear soon.. Quite simply BBC sounds only radio stations do not work on multi rooms under Sonos.. Why do I have 2 Sonos plays in bedroom for great sound when I can’t listen to BBC music stations? I would have thought Sonos could have spoken to BBC to fix the issue with the corporation..
I lost it for about 12hr. Presumably collateral damage which was corrected.
I should say my problem with Multi Room BBC radio access us with Alexa on Sonos with non Alexa enabled speakers. Using the Sonos app rather than voice it seems BBC radio 4 is still available by tunein. So perhaps I a being unfair on Sonos and Amazon Alexa is the culprit here with its intergration on Sonos. No problems in living room yet with Sonos 1 speakers just multiroom when listening via Alexa dot on Play 1 s
Userlevel 1
It works via the sonos app still but not via Alexa:

Me: Alexa, play radio 4 on kitchen.

Alexa: I could not find a station called radio 4.

Me: Alexa, play radio 4 from BBC on kitchen.

Alexa then plays it on the echo instead of on the sonos.

Edit: this is using voice control on a echo. If I use voice control directly on the sonos then it works as normal.

But then my echo show next to the sonos is useless so that's not much help...
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Kicking off merrily over in BBC land. (see Ryan's link at the top of this thread)

The whole thing is cock eyed - some users complaining about BBC on Tunein no longer working on Sonos yet as I type, I have Radio 2 playing via Tunein on my Echo dot
If started through the Sonos app, the stream *should* still work, or at least was for me this morning. Last night it wasn't working, presumably an implementation error, but who knows?...
They've stopped Alexa playing BBC Radio, you're supposed to install the BBC Sound Alexa skill, sign in to your BBC account and then it'll work if you use the right sequence of words (Eg "Alexa ask bbc sounds to play radio 4")

Certainly kicking off - not sure how many of those are Sonos users hit by the associated outage, or people with other streaming systems which aren't supported.

Frankly I don't see why the BBC need the data. They can already track by IP, which is far more granular than anything they would get from broadcast. I'm just going to stick a Pi with a SDR in the loft I think.
Badge
This is a car crash of epic proportions. The whole point of voice is integration, so now asking alexa to play 6 music in any of my rooms on sonos is not possible speakers grouped or not (none of my sonos speakers have alexa onboard). The only way at today is to listen via sonos app. The whole convenience of voice is down the toilet. Bonkers decision all round. being able to listen to bbc radio via voice on sonos speakers wasn't broken, it is today. all to do with the bbc wanting to know how many people are listening via tune in?
As thewishy says just use ip tracking? madness, total madness
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
The BBC radio service on systems like Sonos, Alexa, Google has gone to pieces since they introduced the awful 'Youth-oriented' Sounds app.
Sad.
This is a car crash of epic proportions. The whole point of voice is integration, so now asking alexa to play 6 music in any of my rooms on sonos is not possible speakers grouped or not (none of my sonos speakers have alexa onboard). The only way at today is to listen via sonos app. The whole convenience of voice is down the toilet. Bonkers decision all round. being able to listen to bbc radio via voice on sonos speakers wasn't broken, it is today. all to do with the bbc wanting to know how many people are listening via tune in?

IP tracking won't give them demographics. Because I was totally honest when I registered for a BBC account. That's what they're after, but frankly they've got their priorities wrong.
Badge
The BBC radio service on systems like Sonos, Alexa, Google has gone to pieces since they introduced the awful 'Youth-oriented' Sounds app.
Sad.

agree totally, iplayer radio was fine as it was.....
Userlevel 1
Some more testing.

Asking sonos one to play radio 4 without specifying a speaker name works ok.

Asking it to play on a named speaker fails with I can't find a station named radio 4

Asking a echo to play on a named sonos speaker also fails.
Badge

IP tracking won't give them demographics. Because I was totally honest when I registered for a BBC account. That's what they're after, but frankly they've got their priorities wrong.

Damn right they have got their priorities wrong........
Badge +4
I have pretty much the first generation of Sonos products dotted around the house.... none of which work with 'airplay'. So I won't be able to play BBC programs from the BBC app to Sonos.

There is an app called 'Radioplayer' which might continue to work.

I am not sure why the BBC need this data. They have a truckload of cash from licence fees and all the data they could possibly need from that.